FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

American 5200 easy?

<<

stealthski

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 am

American 5200 easy?

So I've had a 5200 that I've picked maybe fifteen times now and at first it was really difficult because I'm not good with serrations but I can get it open in about a minute now and I'm not sure if I've become better or just wore the pins out because it seems like the spools don't even give any counter rotation now, I use really light tension and try to be smooth and gentle with my locks. Anybody else notice something like this?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:33 am

Re: American 5200 easy?

You might have one of the new ones without security pins. Basically a crappy master lock since it is one of their cylinders in them.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:54 am

They are pretty easy for me too, the old ones that is the newer ones with no security pins are a pain in the butt at times, but I can usually rake them easier than SPP. It takes me less than a minute on the old 5200s and if I can't do it in 5 I pick it backwards really quick as well.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

stealthski

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 am

Riyame wrote:You might have one of the new ones without security pins. Basically a crappy master lock since it is one of their cylinders in them.

No it's one of the old "true" Americans with three serrateds and two serrated spools. I wouldn't waste my money on master.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:15 am

I believe the spools don't give you conter-rotation now because you are setting them correctly at the first time. Do you know in which position the spools are?

My American padlocks don't go to false set very often unless I stop working with them and forget where the spools are...
Each time you pick them, they become easier IMO...

And congrats for the picking! Those a nice! :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

stealthski

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:24 am

yeah the spools are in the first and fourth position, i guess ill switch em up next time :)
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:01 am

They can be very easy. I've picked several of them blind in under 10 seconds. The difficult ones have extremely wild bittings (MACS) involving false sets where you need to be careful when lifting. That is really all that can make them difficult.

The 5200s are generally harder than 1100s by a small margin. There is a slightly different feeling to the pins for some reason. I think it has to do with the padlock's shell itself being made of a harder metal rather than aluminum.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 am

The reason they seem easy is because your doing it right,
if you want them to be hard, got to the brute force and stupidity method.
<<

kilby

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:14 am

I have a pair of 5300's and one of them is considerably easier than the other (neither is difficult though) and it seems to be all down down to the bitting (though I am surprised just how different they are)
<<

stealthski

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 pm

rai wrote:The reason they seem easy is because your doing it right,
if you want them to be hard, got to the brute force and stupidity method.

ill take that haha i looked at the pins and theyre not worn out so you must be right
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:57 am

Some thing I just watched, it comes from fgarci03,s impressioning quest, on the second page fgarci has a number of photos in collumn down and at the bottom is a video, the video is nine seconds and then presents the links to nine more videos, I watched one of those and got another link to nine more,
one of them is someone with an eightminute video showing two american padlocks, he explains that master lock company has taken over american lock and that they put master lock quality cores in them, cores that are crimped shut so that you cant easily dissasemble them and that the pins are all smooth no security pins no spool or serrated,
but there is the master bump stop pin and that is dysfunctional according to the narrator, and all the locks from the series are just very simple to rake open,

This might have something to do with it.

rai
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:05 am

Sure it has.

Here's the yt video, by bosnianbill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAcNsdWw_y0

Cheers :)

Return to Lock Picking