FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Cabinet Lock

<<

Morgoroth

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:30 am

Cabinet Lock

So I have one of these:

And I have figured out how to pick it pretty well.
It's ridiculously easy, the only problem I had at first was getting the tension right and knowing when it was actually picked.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a way to get the cylinder apart without breaking it.
It looks like you could shim it from the front, but I have not had much luck with that, possibly because I have never shimmed a lock before, possibly because I am trying to use an inferior shim(soda can because I have not been able to find any security strips at work.)
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu May 23, 2013 11:04 am

Re: Cabinet Lock

If you have it picked you shouldn't need to shim it... there are no screws on the back? There looks to be a tiny hole on the side in that picture, is there a retaining pin you can knock out with a punch?
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Morgoroth

Post Thu May 23, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah, I thought if you could pick it you shouldn't need to shim it, but I wasn't sure on that one.

The pin at the back does not interact with the lock, but with the locking mechanism best I can tell.
I'll try to take some real pictures when I get a chance.
The only problem will be how to upload them here.

There are no screws at the back.

Here is are some different pics that are a little better:

It's not the same brand, but it is the same style.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu May 23, 2013 12:08 pm

No clue on that one. Is that just a dark reflection or is there a slot cut on the underside? Have you tried prying at it and whatnot.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Morgoroth

Post Thu May 23, 2013 12:19 pm

There is a slot, but there are only so many pieces.
And not much is accessible form the back.

Maybe it is a removable cylinder. So there would be a control key?
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 23, 2013 3:51 pm

Morgoroth

It looks to me to be a standard Anderson Hickey file cabinet lock kit 2194. I have installed many. Is there a cap on the top of the lock as seen on the Chicago lock cylinder in your other picture that is not the same kit. If so that is how it comes apart. You have to carefully remove that thin spring cover so if you want to stake it back on you can. Lock has 4 pins and the 5th one in the back holds the cylinder in the housing. That's the best I can tell without seeing the top of the lock.

http://www.mrlock.com/34260.html?id=neHUAx7x

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Morgoroth

Post Fri May 24, 2013 5:58 am

Thanks for the help, I think you're right.
Here are some pics of my lock.

So how does that cover come off?
If I pick all 5 pins it will release the cylinder?
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 24, 2013 9:54 am

I cut a small slot at the rear corner of the pin cap, and gently pry up on the cap to remove it. It can then be reformed for reinsertion when you're finished. The fifth pin is a plug retainer. remove it and the plug will come out the front, as long as the other pins are removed first. There is a strong spring under the bolt. Be careful when removing the plug. the bolt will fly out of control.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Morgoroth

Post Fri May 24, 2013 10:21 am

So I could grind this part down and then slide the pin cap out?

Is there no way to re-pin it without grinding?
<<

keymaster1053

Post Fri May 24, 2013 8:17 pm

None of your latest pictures are coming through. you don't need to grind anything. you want to pry that pin cover up. if you can't get the tip of an awl, or flat screwdriver under a corner to start peeling it up, someone mentioned using something like a dremel I think, to make a small area in a corner that would allow you to put the prying tool in. not really grinding. Picking will not release the plug. once that silver cover is removed, take out all the springs and pins. the very last pin (back of the lock) when removed, will allow the plug to be removed. but again, hold down that "bolt" as you remove the plug, or you could lose an eyeball! :)
Jim.
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Fri May 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Bypass it!!!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R5VIz2U_MI[/youtube]
<<

escher7

Post Fri May 24, 2013 11:27 pm

The 2194 requires a core removal key:

https://www.easykeys.com

"How do I remove & install a lock core?

Using a normal key, turn your old core to the unlocked position (please note that there are a few locks that must be in the locked position to remove).
Remove normal key and insert the core removal key into the old lock and then pull the lock core straight out from the cylinder body.
Remove the core removal key from old lock core and insert the core removal key into new lock core.
Insert new lock core into cylinder body. Use your finger to retain the lock core in the cylinder body and remove the core removal key.
Installation is complete! The lock is now ready for normal use. Insert new key and cycle lock."

Wizard has pointed out that this is not the 2194.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by escher7 on Sat May 25, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 25, 2013 12:06 am

escher7 wrote:The 2194 requires a core removal key:

https://www.easykeys.com/starting/getti ... Question16

"How do I remove & install a lock core?

Using a normal key, turn your old core to the unlocked position (please note that there are a few locks that must be in the locked position to remove).
Remove normal key and insert the core removal key into the old lock and then pull the lock core straight out from the cylinder body.
Remove the core removal key from old lock core and insert the core removal key into new lock core.
Insert new lock core into cylinder body. Use your finger to retain the lock core in the cylinder body and remove the core removal key.
Installation is complete! The lock is now ready for normal use. Insert new key and cycle lock."

This is for removing wafer core from desks and credenza's usually with gang locking bars. The anderson hickey file cabinet 2194 kit is a pin tumbler lock the core doesn't remove with a key. You can also easily use a hook pick to remove these wafer cores no key needed but it has to be unlocked to do it.
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 25, 2013 12:18 am

Morgoroth wrote:So I could grind this part down and then slide the pin cap out?

Is there no way to re-pin it without grinding?

If you cannot get an awl or anything under a corner of the cap I have drilled a very tiny hole through the cap over where the first pin cell hole is and insert the point of a upholstery skewer into the hole and lever the cap up works great. Put the cap back on turned 180% so the hole is over the last pin cell where the retainer is. :smile:

Richard
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

escher7

Post Sat May 25, 2013 2:37 am

Wiz:

You're right of course. I noticed that was a wafer lock, but the site I was on showed it in a filing cabinet and it was next to a 2194. I assumed (wrongly) that they were both the same. I notice that the sites that cover the 2194 do not talk about a cylinder replacement, only a replacement of the whole unit. That may mean they were not intended to come apart.

Return to Lock Picking