FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

False set problems

<<

LockManipulator

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:56 pm

False set problems

So I'm currently working on picking the red american lock that oldfast sent me and i'm stuck. I start picking and I get it to go into a false set but when it does, everything inside feels really solid and there is no counter rotation when I lift up on any pin. From the way it feels, it seems that pin 3 is a spool since it feels like it's not high enough when i compare the feel to the key bitting, but it's totally solid just like all the other pins. Any help?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: False set problems

Try setting that pin earlier

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:02 pm

If you're in a false set on an American lock, there will always be one pin that will give significantly more counterrotation than the rest. Find it... try reducing tension until you can find it. It is there. If you can't find it, try tapping repeatedly on the pins until they "give" with very light tension until you find one that gives the wild counter rotation.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:52 am

Get it Daggers! Don't take no shit. lol

What Xeo said. They are there. It just might take some really light tension to find em'.
I think there's 2 in that one. Can't remember exactly where... not that I'd tell you anyway. :wink:
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

LockManipulator

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:05 am

So i found out my problem lol when the plug turned into a "false set" it was the cylinder being picked and then engaging the spring which was stronger than the tension I was using. So i picked it many times without realizing it :oops: guess that's why all the pins were solid when i tried to lift up on them. Thanks for the help though guys!
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:19 am

Daggers wrote:So i found out my problem lol when the plug turned into a "false set" it was the cylinder being picked and then engaging the spring which was stronger than the tension I was using. So i picked it many times without realizing it :oops: guess that's why all the pins were solid when i tried to lift up on them. Thanks for the help though guys!

That is funny. It has happened to me many times. Glad you got it figured out. I was about to recommend also looking for the first pin. I have had locks that for some reason I get lost and get upset at them only to figure out that the first pin is hiding behind the tension bar and it wss the last one that needed to be set.
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:33 am

mdchurchill wrote:That is funny. It has happened to me many times. Glad you got it figured out. I was about to recommend also looking for the first pin. I have had locks that for some reason I get lost and get upset at them only to figure out that the first pin is hiding behind the tension bar and it wss the last one that needed to be set.

+1 on both those statements. :yep:
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:54 am

You know, I better go break out a couple of American locks after church and try it again. Wouldn't it be funny as all let out if my entire problem with serrated pins on American locks has been the same problem... Actually picked, but not enough turning force once it was picked? Then again, it may just be the idiot complex I seem to suffer from. If that is not the problem, it will be time to break out an extra cylinder and rekey it with one serrated, the rest plain, and work my way up. Now that I have the pinning kit for American/Master locks, time to get past this serrated pin failure issue.

I bought a bunch of American 5200 military locks with cut shackles and no keys (thanks, Wolfspring!) specifically so I can force myself to get with the serrated program. Pick 'me open, clean them up, replace the shackles and make keys.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:29 pm

Daggers wrote:So i found out my problem lol when the plug turned into a "false set" it was the cylinder being picked and then engaging the spring which was stronger than the tension I was using. So i picked it many times without realizing it :oops: guess that's why all the pins were solid when i tried to lift up on them. Thanks for the help though guys!

This happens alot with auto locks as well, sometimes you dont put enough turn pressure and they just wont go.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Gordon, let me know when you get em fixed up...I need some practice too!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:06 pm

No problem, Jeff. How many do you want? I'll fix one up extra special for you! :whip:

***MrLock sells mushroom pins for American locks***

Gordon

Return to Lock Picking