FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Night drop box with Yale lock jammed

<<

manskirtbrew

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Night drop box with Yale lock jammed

Someone drove a roofing nail into this lock many, many years ago. I'd like to get it working again. Suggestions on getting the nail out?

Once I get the nail out, I can pick the lock, but I don't see how I can get the cylinder out. Does anyone know if I get the brass face off if I can remove the cylinder?

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Re: Night drop box with Yale lock jammed

Neat you get to play with that. I assume that's on the building you purchased a while back.

Might just be me... but I'm always amazed of what Tri-Flow can do. That'd be a good start.

I'd blow out (or in a guess it'd be, lol) all you can with compressed air, then get a decent
amount of Tri-Flow up in there. Not just along the bottom of the keyway where the nail is.
I'd also put some around the outer edge of the plug. I fear that even after you get the nail
out the plug may not be entirely free to rotate.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

manskirtbrew

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:44 am

Oldfast wrote:Neat you get to play with that. I assume that's on the building you purchased a while back.

Yup, it's on the front of the bank. I'd love to use it as a mail slot, so really I just want to disable the lock so the mail carrier can just drop the mail in.

I guess if worse comes to worst I could drill the cylinder, but that seems like a damned shame.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:11 pm

Yea that is a great project and late but congrads on the purchase. What about the other side of the lock? Do you have any access to see what is holding the lock from the inside because something has to but I too fear its toast even with the nail removed.
<<

Altashot

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:57 pm

I work on a lot of night deposits but I must say that I've never worked on one like that.
Really nice. The ones I work on are normally stainless steel but they pretty much all work the same way.

You must have access to the safe inside to remove a big nut, maybe more than one.
It can also be a spring loaded pin that holds it in.
Then remove the screws on the outside of the head and pull off.
That may pull the entire head out or maybe only the face. if only the face come off, it should expose more screws.
You will probably need a friend to help you. A table or genie lift would be great to have too. Much easier to work on and safer as well, these things are heavy.

http://img.edilportale.com/product-thum ... 6117bd.jpg

Once out, I'm sure you'll figure out what to do.

Have fun and be safe.

M.
<<

manskirtbrew

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Oof, that's what I was afraid of. There's no access from the inside without removing the concreted-in night drop safe.

Guess that's not happening :)
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Oldfast's suggestion of a thorough soak with a lubricant is a good one. I'd also consider flushing the lock out with brake cleaner first.

To remove that nail, perhaps if you cut a slot in the end of it with a thin dremel cutoff wheel, you could then use a screwdriver to apply torque to it, hopefully loosening it up.

If that works, then depending on the size of the keyway, you may be able to use a fine crochet hook to reach in and over the nail to pull it out.

...Mark
<<

Altashot

Post Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:31 pm

The nut(s) or other device should be inside the safe.
There shouldn't be any need to remove the night deposit safe from where it is to pull out the head.
Open the safe inside and look up the chute with a flash light, you might find the nut up there.

M.
<<

manskirtbrew

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 20, 2015 8:14 am

Here's what's up the chute. I don't see anything except what look like 3/4" diameter threaded rod holding the chute in place.

Return to Lock Picking