FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

titanium bogota serepick

<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:15 am

titanium bogota serepick

I am trying to get Matt at serepick who produces the only authorized copies of my designs and adds his own special titanium touch to it
to try something new, its very difficult to get Matt to try something new,
But here is what I was thinking,
Titanium can be anodized in a rainbow of colors, and unlike aluminum it can be anodized in multiple colors on the same part.
I know that on this site, there are people who like to do artistic things with handles
titanium could be anodized to camoflage paterns
or some titanium minis could be anodized in bright colors and made into earrings, think of Gina Gershon in the movie Bound.
So I am suggesting that some DIY talent on this site could try that on the titanium flats that Matt makes,
It is my understanding that he has a thousand flats in final tumbling now and soon will be available.

if you can get titan minis out of him, and make them beautiful and wearable like jewelry there is a good market for such things and you could resell them. I think he needs some encouragement to move forward on this idea.
Christmas is coming, thats a quarter of retail sales for the entire year
you could sell lockpicks as decoration, jewelry etc.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:21 am

Re: titanium bogota serepick

think of this thread as a general place to discuss doing things with titanium I know some will see it as a commercial pitch by me, but I ask that you think of it as an interesting thread to discuss DIY and titanium too.
Im very low key about trying to pitch sales, really I am, this only intersects that and is not the central point. We all like artistic things.
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:37 am

This could be a very interesting thread. I'm kinda eager to see what designs people come up with.
As for myself, I'm as artistic as a brick.
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

gnarus8429

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:15 am

I have been searching for a source of titanium for picks for some time with no luck. Would love to try this but, would like to try with some scraps first. If anyone knows where I could obtain some scraps to let me know. I know they won't be free due to their value as a scrap metal but, just looking for reasonable ones. If anyone has a source just PM me and we can work it out.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:48 am

Neat idea but at 32 bucks each plus shipping I can't see many people trying this. I'd love to play around with a set, especially using them on locks, but that is a lot for us workin class types.
Last edited by Aedalas on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:58 pm

If someone here has the technique down for a beautiful three color job, I'll send him two sets, one for his practice and the second to be returned to me.
and I dont get free picks from matt.
but ya have to show your work on the internet here before I believe you do good work. :smile:
<<

Spyder

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:09 pm

gnarus8429: I have some titanium, and access to more, I can get some scraps, small pieces, PM me your address and I'll see what I can throw together.

I have played around on a few pieces, anodizing titanium with a method I found online, using moderate AC voltages and a TSP solution, I got some colour but didn't play around with it long enough to do anything significant, or come up with any real base to work from, tho it's been something that I've always meant to get back to.
<<

Josh66

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:57 pm

I don't have any experience anodizing titanium, but I would say that I have a lot of experience making stuff out of it. Both at work and at home. One of the perks of being an aircraft mechanic, lol. If you have any questions about working with it, I'll try to answer what I can. Really though, other than bending it, there's not really any special tricks. Pretty much like working with any other metal, just harder. I actually prefer working with titanium over steel though - it's a lot easier for me since it won't work harden like steel will. I guess technically, it could work harden (maybe), but you won't be getting it hot enough for that - where in steel, just drilling a hole will get it hot enough to work harden (so if you start to drill a hole in steel, let it get hot, stop long enough for it to cool a little, then start drilling again - it will be harder to drill the second time).

Gnarus - I'll be looking into a reliable source for titanium soon (I'm going to ask around at work first, and see where we get ours from) - if I find anything out, I'll let you know.

How small are the minis? Sounds like they'd be rather large ear rings...? But I might wear them anyway, lol - at least I'd never have to be without picks.

Anybody have a picture of then next to something for size comparison? I think in all of the pictures I've seen of them, they were just on a plain white background.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 pm

You can also do that cool rainbow oxidation effect on Ti....

rai wrote:I am trying to get Matt at serepick who produces the only authorized copies of my designs and adds his own special titanium touch to it
to try something new, its very difficult to get Matt to try something new,
But here is what I was thinking,
Titanium can be anodized in a rainbow of colors, and unlike aluminum it can be anodized in multiple colors on the same part.
I know that on this site, there are people who like to do artistic things with handles
titanium could be anodized to camoflage paterns
or some titanium minis could be anodized in bright colors and made into earrings, think of Gina Gershon in the movie Bound.
So I am suggesting that some DIY talent on this site could try that on the titanium flats that Matt makes,
It is my understanding that he has a thousand flats in final tumbling now and soon will be available.

if you can get titan minis out of him, and make them beautiful and wearable like jewelry there is a good market for such things and you could resell them. I think he needs some encouragement to move forward on this idea.
Christmas is coming, thats a quarter of retail sales for the entire year
you could sell lockpicks as decoration, jewelry etc.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

Logan

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:42 pm

I know a technique using spray glue, clear nail polish, etc. to isolate sections of the work piece whilst doing multiple submersions at the appropriate voltage for the desired colors. I will talk to a friend of mine who is in art school and see if she can talk the jewelry prof. into letting me use their Anodizer again (a programmable DC power supply 0-150v).
This is a really cool idea btw.
And if I can't manage to get access to the machine I could at least talk someone who has access to a proper power supply through the process.
"My only definite plan is that in the future I'm definitely just using this screwdriver for screwing in screws" -The Doctor

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks for sharing Logan,
Im in a hackerspace right now, the members weekly meet up is tonight at 7, there are lots of stuff here, woodworking shop power tools, welding all kinds of stuf a bridgeport mill and another cnc mill and a mini lathe an electronics area for soldering etc a couple of 3D printers, one working sorta the other needs repair, a kiln, a laser cutter/engraver, photography room, and I think this would be a great place to do an anodizing thing,
It just occurred to me, they have variable power suplies here. The place has come a long way since I quit about a year and half ago because some unscrupulous members were hacking my computer and getting into my drawer of picks made and half made. Some of those people are gone, and I won't be keeping anything here anymore, the honor system works perfectyl for about 95 percent of the people here, but one guy a penetration tester by trade is in the other room as I type this, so I just hope my new computer dosen't get fucked with. If it does theres only one suspect cause hes the only one here that into that. works for trustwave spiderlabs. and as I said, it all happened before, the welders and woodworkers arent suspect. Only people with skilz. this guy is into locks too.
Anyway, this seems like the place to do anodizing...it just occured to me, it has adequate ventilation and I have done electroplateing of jewelry before, I guess I only have to find the right process and chemicals and a powersupply. Im gonna research that here and now.
sorta answered myself.

TO ALL MEMBERS WHO CAN FIND A HACKER SPACE IN YOUR AREA,you really gotta check it out. see if its got something for you, some like this one have locksports, but im no longer going to get into that here, these people havent got anything for me but risk of losing my stuff. theres a few bad apples to be guarded against.
<<

Logan

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:39 pm

You shouldn't have any trouble then. Trisodium phosphate is one of the best readily available chemicals for the electrolyte solution you probably have some in the space there for cleaning of flux.
I found a good step by step here http://mrtitanium.com/anodizing.html
The only thing you need to do to get tri-color is add a few steps to those in the guide.
Follow those instructions for your first anodization do lowest voltage color first. Color/voltage chart ----> http://www.valhallaarms.com/wyvern/titanium/images/ti_color_large.jpg
Now remove from bath clean and dry and coat the section of the tool you want to stay that original color with your spray glue or nail polish will probably work too. Re-submerge and continue to next lowest voltage color, repeat.
Also if you want rainbow effect: Completely submerse your part in the electrolyte and as you start to turn up the voltage, simultaneously lift out the part. The varying voltages will produce a rainbow of colors on the part.
"My only definite plan is that in the future I'm definitely just using this screwdriver for screwing in screws" -The Doctor

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
<<

Bluenkight

Post Tue May 19, 2015 3:43 pm

rai wrote:Thanks for sharing Logan,
Im in a hackerspace right now, the members weekly meet up is tonight at 7, there are lots of stuff here, woodworking shop power tools, welding all kinds of stuf a bridgeport mill and another cnc mill and a mini lathe an electronics area for soldering etc a couple of 3D printers, one working sorta the other needs repair, a kiln, a laser cutter/engraver, photography room, and I think this would be a great place to do an anodizing thing,
It just occurred to me, they have variable power suplies here. The place has come a long way since I quit about a year and half ago because some unscrupulous members were hacking my computer and getting into my drawer of picks made and half made. Some of those people are gone, and I won't be keeping anything here anymore, the honor system works perfectyl for about 95 percent of the people here, but one guy a penetration tester by trade is in the other room as I type this, so I just hope my new computer dosen't get fucked with. If it does theres only one suspect cause hes the only one here that into that. works for trustwave spiderlabs. and as I said, it all happened before, the welders and woodworkers arent suspect. Only people with skilz. this guy is into locks too.
Anyway, this seems like the place to do anodizing...it just occured to me, it has adequate ventilation and I have done electroplateing of jewelry before, I guess I only have to find the right process and chemicals and a powersupply. Im gonna research that here and now.
sorta answered myself.

TO ALL MEMBERS WHO CAN FIND A HACKER SPACE IN YOUR AREA,you really gotta check it out. see if its got something for you, some like this one have locksports, but im no longer going to get into that here, these people havent got anything for me but risk of losing my stuff. theres a few bad apples to be guarded against.

Rai did you ever get a chance to test out the TI anodizing? :bogota:
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue May 19, 2015 11:06 pm

Bluenkight wrote:Rai did you ever get a chance to test out the TI anodizing? :bogota:

These are some rather old threads you're necro posting in, but I have to admit Bogotas are rapidly becoming a timeless classic.
As of when I last spoke to him about a month ago, Rai is on a hiatus from pickmaking as he's tied up with some other things.
I hope to see him back with us soon, but for the time being your best bet to track down titanium Bogota picks is over at Serepick.
<<

Bluenkight

Post Wed May 20, 2015 11:04 am

MBI wrote:
Bluenkight wrote:Rai did you ever get a chance to test out the TI anodizing? :bogota:

These are some rather old threads you're necro posting in, but I have to admit Bogotas are rapidly becoming a timeless classic.
As of when I last spoke to him about a month ago, Rai is on a hiatus from pickmaking as he's tied up with some other things.
I hope to see him back with us soon, but for the time being your best bet to track down titanium Bogota picks is over at Serepick.

Thx MBI...

Return to Lock Picking