FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Commando Lock

<<

Logan

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Commando Lock

Perhaps "cherry red" was a bit over zealous of a description. I heated it for ~2min on a propane torch, until the body started to glow red on that side.
All and all the Commando held up EXTREMELY well to trying to force the shackle from the body with force alone. Much better than similar priced Masters, Brinks etc. (plenty of vid.s on youtube of that) however the torch test doesn't effect most of those the same way as their locking mechanisms are quite different and tho' less artfully machined they are steel.
The first test only serves to complement the lock, if I had a boron shackle in it I would have torn my vice from the bench for sure.
What would be nice is to do a side by side with one of the locks the Commando stands to replace....

These are great locks, as I've said before they are a blast to pick, they are rugged as hell, and as quickly as we can find weaknesses they set to work remedying them.
"My only definite plan is that in the future I'm definitely just using this screwdriver for screwing in screws" -The Doctor

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:52 pm

I think focusing the flame on the top of the lock between the shackle would work better/quicker. Since you dont have to heat up all the surrounding metal first it should work a bit more quickly. Might have to clean out the she to find the torch and give it a try tomorrow :twisted:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Logan

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Riyame wrote:I think focusing the flame on the top of the lock between the shackle would work better/quicker. Since you dont have to heat up all the surrounding metal first it should work a bit more quickly. Might have to clean out the she to find the torch and give it a try tomorrow :twisted:

I bet you're right... be careful that slag goes everywhere.
"My only definite plan is that in the future I'm definitely just using this screwdriver for screwing in screws" -The Doctor

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Nice Logan! Much of my thoughts have already been mentioned here.

Certainly, several points must be awarded to the lock on the pry test.

As to the torch... just as Gordon said, makes me wonder how many other locks are susceptible to that.

And yeah, I think what I like most about all this....
Logan wrote:....and as quickly as we can find weaknesses they set to work remedying them....
Really, it's so very refreshing to see that.

Thanks Logan! Very interesting.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

blate

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 am

Oldfast wrote:And yeah, I think what I like most about all this....
Logan wrote:....and as quickly as we can find weaknesses they set to work remedying them....
Really, it's so very refreshing to see that.

Thanks Logan! Very interesting.

+1. Commando is setting a great example -- one that I hope is followed by other lock manufacturers.

Alex :agree:
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:57 am

nice work logan hope you did not burn yourself too bad that monkey metals runs like water when melted..enjoyed that vid thankyou
Previous

Return to Lock Picking