FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Commando Lock

<<

Lumpy

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:19 am

Re: Commando Lock

s1deshowmick wrote:
piotr wrote:Kudos to you Patrick! It is refreshing to see a company with an enlightened attitude to security engineering and its testing. :hbg:

Yes indeed instead of threats to sue, and down right Bullsh!t.
I would also like to try out these products but am unable to find any shipping details, or more importantly international Shipping details from the website. is it there and it's staring me in the face, or it is missing from the website and the voices in my head are real?

You have to basically go through the motions of ordering, do the checkout with PayPal and it will
pop up a USPS rate to ship. You can go back or cancel at this point.

I just ordered (6) locks and it was $32.95 to Canada for shipping.
-= Lumpy =-
<<

blate

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:43 pm

For those who would like to learn more about the internals of these locks, please enjoy the videos I posted last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idusfV-fj5Q -- Total gutting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JacXiSfNy_g -- A bonus feature/vulnerability

And, of course, picking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrHPV-iRmw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tICdnl137k

FYI, if you check the comments in the second video, you'll find that Commando replied with very open and positive feedback. I must echo others' remarks on this thread as to how awesome it is to see a lock manufacturer trying to do the right thing and collaborating with the open locksport community. +1

Alex
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Great vid blate and finding the vulnerbility on the cammando lock... is this cam used in more than one pad...looks like this part is cast & may have a very low melting point also if its monkey metal then commando locks have a big problem.
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Good videos Alex keep up the good work mate :)
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:09 pm

10ringo10 wrote:Great vid blate and finding the vulnerbility on the cammando lock... is this cam used in more than one pad...looks like this part is cast & may have a very low melting point also if its monkey metal then commando locks have a big problem.

All the locks use the same parts. and in his rely on the YT video: "Our actuator is currently made of Zamac die cast steel, which is relatively hard for what it is but can be produced in a harder recipe."
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:35 pm

Missed that riyame.. Zamac zinc alloy low melting point can be cold cast...saves on smelting costs at the factories.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Interesting.... I might have to try using a propane torch to melt it through the top plate and give it a wack to force the ball bearings into it... :twisted:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Mine showed up today. Tried picking the first lock and it keeps going into false. Picked the second one and it opened right up!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

easy-e

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:43 pm

I haven't been able to pick any of mine yet. I ordered some better picks and have been trying different techniques and tensioners. I've been able to set some pins with very light tension but I keep getting false sets and I've been having trouble getting out of it. I'm just not getting any sort of useful feedback from my tension wrench like I'm used to. I bought some music wire and the next thing I'm going to try is a snug tension wrench so I can control the plug better.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:59 pm

The false set can be a good thing. It lets you know that you are almost there. Try each of the pins in turn, and see if any of them cause the plug to turn backwards. If so, that is likely the next pin to set. Commando uses some double spools, too. The last pin to set is frequently harder, requiring more force to lift the pin. You can try levering the pick with the bottom of the plug as a fulcrum.

Also, I assume you are using SPP (single pin picking) instead of raking? These locks are difficult to rake.

Good luck,

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:05 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:The false set can be a good thing. It lets you know that you are almost there.

Heh, on both mine I drop into false set the second I touch the first pin. That's one of the things I like about them though, lots and lots of false sets to play with. The "almost there" thing only really applies when there are 1-2 spools I think, this one is false sets from start to finish for me.
Last edited by Aedalas on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

easy-e

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:09 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:The false set can be a good thing. It lets you know that you are almost there. Try each of the pins in turn, and see if any of them cause the plug to turn backwards. If so, that is likely the next pin to set. Commando uses some double spools, too. The last pin to set is frequently harder, requiring more force to lift the pin. You can try levering the pick with the bottom of the plug as a fulcrum.

I think my technique is just wrong or I have just not had enough practice. I have some Brink's locks that when I lift up and lighten up on the tension I can get the security pins to move but on the Commandos I can totally let off the tension wrench and it still won't move. I think on my other locks I rely on the spring mechanism to turn the plug back too much and need to improve my technique on these locks.

GWiens2001 wrote:Also, I assume you are using SPP (single pin picking) instead of raking? These locks are difficult to rake.

Yes, I've also tried my bogotas then SPP. I think I had the best results with raking the keypins a few times with a half diamond or my hook then SPP.

GWiens2001 wrote:Good luck

Thanks! I will take whatever luck I can get until my skills improve!

Aedalas wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:The false set can be a good thing.

Heh, on both mine I drop into false set the second I touch the first pin. That's one of the things I like about them though, lots and lots of false sets to play with. The "almost there" thing only really applies when there are 1-2 spools I think, this one is false sets from start to finish for me.

I feel like some of my locks are in false set before I even touch the pins. I bought these mostly for the challenge and they are putting up a good fight. I'm confident I just need to keep going. This last weekend I was able to finally pick my two locks that I've never been able to open (a solid brass Master and an old Chalet).
<<

easy-e

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:08 pm

Well it's been a slow week at work and I finally picked one of my Commando Locks. I've been practicing a lot and getting use to being able to actually feel the feedback from the lock. It took me about 40 seconds and opened first try. The 0.050" pry bar fits perfectly for top or bottom tension. Too bad the rest of my commando locks are at home. Thanks again for all of the tips and suggestions!

*edit* Also managed to pick it in reverse to remove the shackle!!!
<<

easy-e

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Not sure what was in those tacos I had late last night but I had the best night/morning of picking I've ever had.

Some of these had much more difficult bitting and I had to cheat and look at the key. I've finally started to be able to read the feedback of a lock better. I have Peterson spring steel picks and I bent my hook, deforest, and reach when picking these locks. I seriously need to upgrade to the government steel picks. Sometimes you just need to give the pin stack that extra kick and the pick doesn't appreciate it very much.

Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Dejavu :P
PreviousNext

Return to Lock Picking