FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

wierd pins I found in a old sargent padlock

<<

deathitself7

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:26 pm

wierd pins I found in a old sargent padlock

I took apart an old sargent lock to see what kind of pins were in it and when I took the plug out I counted 15 pins. there were 5 the same size and 10 that had different sizes. I was a bit baffled so I thought I could get some of your opinions.

I will attach some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. the first picture I attached is of the first pin/ pins that were in the plug, it doesn't show the one that was in the bible. the second picture is of the plug and bible without any pins in them. the third is a picture of 4 of the 3rd set of pins I found, I only took a picture of 4 because you can see the 5th one in the first pic. the fourth picture is of my cat in case anyone wants to see him.

alright If any one has any explaination as to why the extra pins are there please post below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: wierd pins I found in a old sargent padlock

those would be mastering wafers.. the pins are stacked to create separate shearlines.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Houndour

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:12 pm

Yeah, so two keys were designed to open that lock man. The standard key which would have been given to a contractor or customer of some kind. And the Master key, which would open that lock, plus a load of others just like it but with different settings for every other customer/contractor.

Let me guess.... it was extremely easy to pick? Usually, from what the master Awol says, this makes it twice as easy to get a combination of pins to the sheer line and pick because there are so many pins.
Click banner for...
1) the Meaning of Life
2) Hot bikini models oiled up &
3) LockPicking vids (1 & 2 may not be accurate)
<<

m0ose

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:29 pm

Houndour wrote:Yeah, so two keys were designed to open that lock man. The standard key which would have been given to a contractor or customer of some kind. And the Master key, which would open that lock, plus a load of others just like it but with different settings for every other customer/contractor.

Let me guess.... it was extremely easy to pick? Usually, from what the master Awol says, this makes it twice as easy to get a combination of pins to the sheer line and pick because there are so many pins.

Yes, Agreed. I've personally Master key'd a few of my locks and it makes it sooo much easier. Litterally one rake can blow right through them with a snake. Obviously it depends on the pins and the bitting, but either way Master Pinning makes it a whole hell of a lot easier.
<<

Houndour

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:47 pm

Oh the irony haha
Click banner for...
1) the Meaning of Life
2) Hot bikini models oiled up &
3) LockPicking vids (1 & 2 may not be accurate)
<<

hordo2

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:06 am

wow interesing stuff.
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:31 am

Learn something new every day... never knew about that master key thing!
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:26 pm

Houndour wrote:Yeah, so two keys were designed to open that lock man. The standard key which would have been given to a contractor or customer of some kind. And the Master key, which would open that lock, plus a load of others just like it but with different settings for every other customer/contractor.

actually, if the last three pins had mastering wafers that would make 3x3x3 27
possible different keys you could make to fit that lock.
my math may be off, but do you understand what i mean?
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

93940joe

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:51 pm

ya i know we established everything here but the proper term for "the other key" is called a change key....and the other is called a master key.
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 pm

Has anyone got some more info / pics on this master key thing? I understand the principle of how it works, but I'm having a hard time imagining the pin set-up for say... 5 locks, 5 keys, 1 master.

I've been scribbling down pin set-ups, but I just can't get it to click in my head! :oops:
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:01 am

Bender wrote:Has anyone got some more info / pics on this master key thing? I understand the principle of how it works, but I'm having a hard time imagining the pin set-up for say... 5 locks, 5 keys, 1 master.

I've been scribbling down pin set-ups, but I just can't get it to click in my head! :oops:

I covered Master Keying in my course. I really don't feel like transcribing word for word, but basically the master key is cut at a certain depth so that it meets the sheerline for the master pins, which if I remember right, sit on top of the driver pins. From there you must use the right combination of pin length to achieve a good set of change keys. There are a couple rules to master systems. Some of which I can't remember, but I do remember that no pin next to each other should ever have a difference greater then two lengths between them. Or in others words, if you have a 6, you can't put a 3 pin next to it.

If I get time I'll read up on it again and give you some more accurate information, because right now I'm working 100% from memory, and it's been a while.

Edit: Damn I hate dropping the "'t" :P
Last edited by m0ose on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:04 am

Kitty smiling....... (LOL)
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:26 pm