FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Corporate Sponsorship.

<<

Houndour

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:26 am

Corporate Sponsorship.

Hiya guys!

I'll start from the beginning.

About one week ago, I recieved a message on youtube from what I suspected was a young kid. He claimed to be from Australia and seemed enthusiastic about sending me some locks or something because he liked a few of my videos. So i said sure, no probs kid. Heres my address, send em over. I didnt think much of it.

Today something rather bizaar happened. I answer my door to find I've recieved roughly 400 bucks worth of Max security locks, including two cut-aways, and the whole lot is Lockwood. Ive got myself an extra 234C45, and two locks worth roughly 100 bucks each in the 290S84 (Yes its 84mm across) and the 270S/70 (70mm). One of the cutaways is a 234/45.

So Ive got these locks and I'm in utter disbelief!!!

I message this "Kid" back with a straight up "Who the ferk are you?!?!" and a "You know I dont have the money to pay you back for these? And I dont have the cash to even repost them back to you because they weight so darn much?" And he's totally fine with all that.

Here is his Message I'll * out some details for his privacy.

I'm glad you like. Well my name is Ryan ***** and i work for Lockwood here in Melbourne. All i ask is you never use my full name or where i work.

What does Lockwood get from you??

Well, if you do pick these locks we would like your feed back and advice. If you can't pick them we would like you to tell the world through your vids on how good the locks are. Either way Lockwood wins. I'm more than happy to support you and your vids, but please support us in return.

If you ever want to call me 04** *** ***

So this guy works for Lockwood, he obviously has access to some great stuff, he likes my vids because I noticed he has NO other subscriptions and he wants me to continue picking his products. Heck yeah!!!

I messaged him and told him honestly "Its not in my best interests to be telling you this, but I'm far from the best picker on Youtube. You'd probably be better off with someone like WizWazzle or Redbird" but he wouldnt have it. He seemed happy with supporting me.

So there you have it folks. Anyone ever hear of anything like this before. Its kinda blowing my mind away a bit. Dont know if I will have more packages coming or not or if the old saying "If it seems too good to be true it probably is." might be a factor here. Am I being ripped off or set up or something?

Cant wait to hear your feedback guys.

Dour
Click banner for...
1) the Meaning of Life
2) Hot bikini models oiled up &
3) LockPicking vids (1 & 2 may not be accurate)
<<

j0siah7

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:41 am

Re: Corporate Sponsorship.

wow... that is really wierd, kinda like your own lockpicking sponsorship, I don't really see how this could be phoney if you have the locks and he doesent want them back, I dono, just see how it goes I guess. I would be estatic if a lock company wanted to send me free locks.
Matt's youtube account ---> http://youtube.com/j0siah7

"gives you wiiings"
<<

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:05 am

dangg, that's pretty sweet. lockwood have made quite a name for themselves in the past couple of years. it'll be intresting to see what the next step is :)

Lew
<<

Houndour

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:18 am

I must admit, its exciting to see where this is going. Im convinced he's legit. Heck, I'll do or say whatever this guy wantys on video to get more top range locks like what he's sent me haha...

Well... almost anything. ;P
Click banner for...
1) the Meaning of Life
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:49 pm

You know the old saying...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Can you do a reverse lookup on this guy's phone number to see who it comes back to? I find it hard to believe that just out of the blue someone drops $400 worth of locks and cutaways on you - and only wants feedback from you.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but it sounds fishy. Do a check on the return address to see if it's legit. I'd poke this guy a little bit more to see why he's being so damn friendly.

Geez, I don't mean to sound like a paranoid, cynical bastard - but that's what happens after getting your toes stomped on a few times.

I don't mean to rain on your parade - if he's legit, that's great for you. Just watch it and don't go skipping through a minefield.
<<

j0siah7

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:28 pm

usmcboltaction wrote:Easy way to dump a bunch of stolen stuff. And it could be bait for somethin else down the line. It takes a lil creativity, but I have scammed the scammers quite a few times.

who would steal a cutaway?

"gives you wiiings"
<<

j0siah7

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:18 pm

usmcboltaction wrote:If it is worth money, people steel it.

I can't see that scenario

"gives you wiiings"
<<

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:21 pm

j0siah7 wrote:
usmcboltaction wrote:If it is worth money, people steel it.

I can't see that scenario

don't argue with him lol, he gets kinda cranky ;)
<<

GutterClown

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:11 pm

$400 worth of locks probably cost them $100 to produce.
Even if it cost $50 for postage, that's $150 for some decent, unbiased product testing. Whereas to hire a product tester, you're paying time and travel.

Quite smart business practice.
<<

StabbyJoe

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:58 pm

Sounds like a sweet deal... pays to be a little suspicious, though... But I suppose they are getting cheap publicity, and if you've got a rep as a picker on youtube and you say you were stumped by a certain lockwood lock, that might be nice for their sales...
Does seem a little to good to be true, but for now it seems safe... If they start asking suspicios things AT ALL post it here and get some people to look it over... It could well be a set up for soething larger... Idea being that now they have your trust and you sort of owe them, then they can use that later.... :roll:

Be careful... but... SCORE! Free locks!!! :D :lol:
<<

Houndour

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:49 pm

GutterClown wrote:$400 worth of locks probably cost them $100 to produce.
Even if it cost $50 for postage, that's $150 for some decent, unbiased product testing. Whereas to hire a product tester, you're paying time and travel.

Quite smart business practice.
This is where Im at too. This is kinda what Im thinking. But I am skeptical. Just because this guy has sent me locks, dont mean I owe him any "Favors". Im a heartless bastard haha. A gift is a gift. Nothing more, nothing less.

I took my Trojan Horse vaccination. ^^;;
Click banner for...
1) the Meaning of Life
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:10 pm

Run it by some of the other lockpicking websites and see if they've heard of this type of scenario.
<<

m0ose

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:59 pm

Not so oddly, I don't think I'd mind that. :P

Seriously though, do as Halli said and do some digging. It's the best bet for you. I can help you out if you need it, plus, I'd respect his and your privacy. I'd be willing to do a little digging for you if you don't have the time.
<<

Houndour

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Well thats what i do. Every youtube post I've made is a lock I can pick using the same method over and over again. Only today I've discovered a way to pop open a lovely 234C45 sent to me by this guy, and I can do it everytime. So that vid should be up soon. If its a one-off pick, I'll say so in the video, but I'm yet to do it haha. If I can pick a lock once, I work out how I did it and duplicate the process untill I've got it perfected.
Click banner for...
1) the Meaning of Life
<<

Houndour

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:29 am

Romstar wrote:Generally, I tend to think in a series of locks.

For example, if I can pick open, or bypass bi-lock each time in 30 seconds or less, no matter the lock or the situation.

If I can do the same with a particular model over and over again, that is a flaw. It requires several locks of the same make and model.

If I can only do it on one lock, I get suspicious. If I can do it on two, I'm onto something. If I can do it on a dozen, there is an issue.

Remember, there are all sorts of things that can lead you to open a lock quickly and easily. Anything from a poor pinning configuration to a well made rake. That doesn't necessarily mean the series is flawed, just the one you happen to have.

Romstar
I dont know about most guys here, but i can barely afford one lock, let alone a dozen of the same one XD
Click banner for...
1) the Meaning of Life
Next

Return to Lock Picking