FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Some help with home door locks...?

<<

porky

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 23, 2010 10:46 am

Some help with home door locks...?

Hey guys

Lately wile trying to pick some of my friends locks at there houses , even when the cylinder has turned It turns half way then gets completely stuck? I cannot turn it anymore? I can only turn it back into the original position....

Its not that I need more tension to turn it , because when the key is used it opens up very smoothely and not a lot of force is needed to turn the keyway?

I was a bit upset cos I bet my friend I could open up his front door , and I did manage to pick the lock ( a yale with a curvey keyway and security pins! yay) but I couldent get it to rotate fully to actually unlock the door!?

AND THEN ontop of than I told him to open and it kinda messed up the allignment of the lock , it would not unlock fully! I had to pick it again from the outside wile he had the key in it from the inside and rotate the cylinder until it matched up with the key....I know what im saying is confusing but I hope you can make sense of it all!

I still have not managed to pick that Yale padlock I got:( I have managed to set all 4 out of 5 pins but im getting closer and will post a vid once I have done it!
<<

geardog32

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 23, 2010 11:36 am

Re: Some help with home door locks...?

the driver pins from the top may be coming down and getting stuck in the bottom of the keyway when it is half turned. with some tension on it run your pick over the top and make the pins go back behind the plug. i hope this makes sense.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sun May 23, 2010 11:49 am

porky wrote:Hey guys

Lately wile trying to pick some of my friends locks at there houses , even when the cylinder has turned It turns half way then gets completely stuck? I cannot turn it anymore? I can only turn it back into the original position....

Its not that I need more tension to turn it , because when the key is used it opens up very smoothely and not a lot of force is needed to turn the keyway?

I was a bit upset cos I bet my friend I could open up his front door , and I did manage to pick the lock ( a yale with a curvey keyway and security pins! yay) but I couldent get it to rotate fully to actually unlock the door!?

AND THEN ontop of than I told him to open and it kinda messed up the allignment of the lock , it would not unlock fully! I had to pick it again from the outside wile he had the key in it from the inside and rotate the cylinder until it matched up with the key....I know what im saying is confusing but I hope you can make sense of it all!

I still have not managed to pick that Yale padlock I got:( I have managed to set all 4 out of 5 pins but im getting closer and will post a vid once I have done it!

RULE NUMBER ONE - NEVER PICK LOCKS IN USE - OR THAT DO NOT BELONG TO YOU!

That's the first rule you need to learn. Although things turned out well in this instance, you may not be as lucky next time. If you damage someones lock - ultimately you'll be responsible for damages.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun May 23, 2010 2:47 pm

:agree:
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

porky

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 23, 2010 4:43 pm

nope I made sure the driver pins were not trapping it , I was able to turn it CCW but no more CW!

although the locks never belonged to me , i had the permission of the owner ... , also I was very very gently with the picking of the locks not to break anything , the misalignment I have experienced before soo I knew how to handle that!
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun May 23, 2010 8:29 pm

Hey Porky, I think ya missed the first part of lockpicking rule #1: Don't pick locks in use. It's not a site rule or anything, it's a rule for locksport in general.

This is to cover your own ass... even if ya got permission from the owner, if you accidentally ruin the lock, I bet they won't be too happy, and that they'd expect you to replace it along with anything that got stolen while their house had a non-operational lock on the door.

Ya got lucky that springs didn't find their way into the chamber and get ripped and cause the lock to seize by dropping drivers in sideways or anything.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun May 23, 2010 9:46 pm

That lock that you were picking, may not have been operational to pick CCW, only CW, you may need a plug spinner in an instance like this, just an idea, might not be the problem you were having just the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. As far as picking locks in use, well, what Hallis and Elbow says is true, I pick locks in use, but at the same time, I have all the parts to fix them!! You must be very careful with others locks, it can get expensive, but I ain't going to harp on you, you have to learn somehow, just make sure it doesn't result in lost friends or cost you money!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

porky

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 24, 2010 4:15 am

Ok guys

wile I do appreciate you input and wile I do agree with you that it is not a good idea to pick locks in use , sorry to say , I actually prefer picking locks in use as it feels a lot more "realistic" to me tbh .....compared to picking locks in private .....it seems your under "pressure" when someone is watching you , also if I had to break the lock from me messing with it , thats my problem and I would replace it if need be , soo with that settled , lets move on from that....

heres the thing , The lock had definitly been "picked" the cyclinder had turned half way and then would not turn anymore , the only thing I can really think of , is my tension wrench was perhaps not strong enough to turn it the rest of the way .....if you know what I mean .

but thanks for the input fella's , happy picking!

Return to Lock Picking