FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

American Padlock Series 40

<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 06, 2010 9:09 pm

American Padlock Series 40

A friend of mine gave me a lock today. It's a brass American 40 series. There is no key for it. It probably goes back to the 70's. Thought I could either pick it and rekey it or maybe try impressioning a key. Does anyone know anything about this series such as security pins? It appears to have a removable cylinder but can't be sure till I get it open.
<<

ChemicalRobot

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: American Padlock Series 40

Got any pictures of it?
Howdy!
<<

pjzstones

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 07, 2010 12:25 am

this would be a really hard lock to impression. the serrations would give you false markings. you'd be better off picking it and making a key. if you want to impression a lock i'd suggest starting with a master lock no. 1, 3, 5.
<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 07, 2010 1:11 am

i had one of these, i beleieve i sent it to Elbowmacaroni mine had 5 pins 3 spools 2 regular. all the key pins (bottom pins) are normal. i suggest top of the keyway and a nice short hook or bottom of the key way but u need the exact right size tension wrench or it will bind. they give really great feedback. if you need to know anything specific please feel free to pm me. check out my youtube page. i have a video on it and i am pretty sure i took mine apart on vid.
<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 07, 2010 2:40 pm

I picked the lock today. Took me about 20 minutes. The lock appeared to have a removable cylinder but it does not. It has a rivet instead of a screw. IT does use the same key blank as a 1100 series so I will try to impression it. I just reread an impressioning guide I have. It says spool pins or serrated pins won't hinder the impressioning as long as they are only drivers. If anyone knows differently please post or pm me.
<<

pjzstones

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 08, 2010 2:48 am

Grandpa wrote:I picked the lock today. Took me about 20 minutes. The lock appeared to have a removable cylinder but it does not. It has a rivet instead of a screw. IT does use the same key blank as a 1100 series so I will try to impression it. I just reread an impressioning guide I have. It says spool pins or serrated pins won't hinder the impressioning as long as they are only drivers. If anyone knows differently please post or pm me.

you're right, they won't hinder impressioning because they shouldn't reach below the sheer line. if the key pins are spool or serrated then thats what makes it harder.
<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Sorry Chemrobot but do not have pictures. It looks just like an 1100 series only brass. Even has the same keyway.
<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 08, 2010 5:51 pm

naw grandpa just the top ones have security. u should be able to drill that rivit out and put a screw and that bottom piece in there if you have extra. they are fun locks. mine had a screw that is weird that yours did not. hhmmm i don't know. anyway hope that helped
<<

pjzstones

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 09, 2010 12:53 am

here's a video of pickwizard drilling out the rivet in one of his series 40s and replacing it with a screw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMMPEDKmkQo
also the screw from a proseries is compatible with these.

Return to Lock Picking