FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Quick Question

<<

Lockpickerrrr

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Quick Question

OK, So I just started lockpicking and I made a pick and it is relatively small BUT it does not fit because of these teeth in the lock, OK, here is my problem

See those two teeth I pointed out? they are blocking my pick and giving me no space to move the pins.

[edit] Elbowmacaroni - Please don't steal images from stock photography websites. Image removed. [/edit]
<<

bouncer965

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Re: Quick Question

I take it when you say you have made a pick you mean a hook pick? Well judging by the keyway you may be better off with a half diamond pick instead. Here is a link so you can see what there like its the Diamond pick on this page. But then it also depends on the key bitting on the key if you can see how that looks. May have to put the pick in at an angle then twist it to set higher set pins and use the diamond for the low set pins.
http://www.peterson-international.com/picks/gov_steel.html
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:48 pm

A slimline pick (like my favorite Rytan mini blues) is what you need. You might also try using thinner material for your home brew pick.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Lockpickerrrr

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Thansk guys for the quick responses! But is this normal? and are all locks like that? also, My pick is thin and small, It's just that I can't set the pins because I have no room to even move my pick.
<<

bouncer965

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:58 pm

For a first lock it may be a bit on the hard side with that kind of keyway. I started on padlocks and then doorlocks and slowly getting onto higher security locks. Not all keyways are as awkward as that. Theres a good saying "dont run before you can walk". Its the same as picking start off on something easy and then work your way up as you get the feel of the locks and understanding what is going on inside the lock and feeling for the feedback.
The key to picking is also in your tension .....you only need light pressure on the tensioner, very light!!!!
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

Magic1

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:37 pm

My first attempt to pick a cylinder lock was a disaster and as I didn't know what I was doing, I simply did not realise that standard sized pick profiles can be far to big / thick to use on some key ways. I simply could not pick around the obstructions. So eventually I made myself some 'mini' picks, which were small enough to work and that opened my first lock, a Yale Y2. The picks I made to do this can be seen at ....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/moonshadow ... keyway.htm

My first thought for your key way, was keep left, with a thin pick and that would negate the bottom right 'tooth' problem. That leaves you under the pin pack with the top left 'tooth' in the way .

Now I have a terrible confession to make. Before I picked my first lock, I decided that the tools I was trying to use were far too big to work around the bend in my avatar ... and the only tool I had at that time, that was thin enough to work around the bend, was a home made key extractor!, so I picked the lock twice 'sideways' using that ..... and never dared to tell a soul !!
<<

Lockpickerrrr

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:28 pm

Thanks for everyones feedback I will move on until I am more experienced or get some new tools
<<

dgtlcrack

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:04 am

Don't want to throw you off here, but with the Falle pickset, and all of the different sizes of picks in the kit, it's hard to find obstructions that matter in a keyway anymore....
*- Digital Crack -*
"You want my knowledge, my answers, well you're going to get it the way I give it to you: with a grain of salt, logic, and nearly sarcastic common sense.... unless you are willing to pay, then I'll shut the hell up and you can be the boss"

Return to Lock Picking