FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Can anyone shed any light on these keys???

<<

7CS7

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Can anyone shed any light on these keys???

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd chuck this around, might have been here before. The pic is from Zodiackiller.com, the hunt is *still* going on, wondering if anyone can shed any more light on these keys! The photocopy was included in a letter as late as 1990, be interesting to see what you guys make of them...

<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:27 pm

Re: Can anyone shed any light on these keys???

Yep, they're united states postal service keys.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:30 pm

What do you mean? USPS do not duplicate, they are post office box keys.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Damn solomon, that was fast.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote:Damn solomon, that was fast.

:mrgreen:
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:55 pm

And the 2 keys are different but only the last 2 cuts it looks like one key the last 2 cuts are 51 and the other key the last 2 cuts are 15 ??????
<<

7CS7

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:28 pm

Crikey you lot are fast!! it took the ZK lot longer to place them ;-)

Okay, Is there anything you can tell specifically about the keys? Any information at all? the 'key bar' itself, anything. Any observations... there is no wrong answer!

Cheers lads!
Steve
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:39 pm

7CS7 wrote:Crikey you lot are fast!! it took the ZK lot longer to place them ;-)

Okay, Is there anything you can tell specifically about the keys? Any information at all? the 'key bar' itself, anything. Any observations... there is no wrong answer!

Cheers lads!
Steve

Are you trying to solve a riddle or something? I can't enhance it enough to get anything from it other than the markings on the keys... there is no exif data for the image either so this isn't the orignal. Someone has done something to it in photoshop, or at least used that to resize it.

The keys are stamped with 79408 and 59351, which could serve as an indication to when the keys were produced but I haven't got the resources for that.

The other thing could be a laser pointer or a kubotan. Probably more likely to be a laser pointer though. EDIT: Scratch that, there is a phone number on it. No idea what it is though... businesses hand out thigns like this as advertising, usually they put their numbers and business info on pens and keychains, so it's probably one of those little token thingers.
<<

7CS7

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:27 pm

The riddle 'as such' is the 'Zodiac Killer' who operated around the SF area in the 60's... still undentified, and there's enough clues to sink a battleship!
<<

Jimmy-slim-smith

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:53 pm

They look to me like post office box keys, and yes the post office will copy them for you but its going to run you about $10-$15 bucks,
I have tryed to order them but not even the shop can get them,

they are almost just like a y1, but ass backwards.

As far as that keychain thing,,,,,thats a trip,, I wish I could see better pics becuase that could be some kind of key too,,,,,,is it magnetic?....anything wierd about it,, ? I bet ya.,.,,,,,,,,
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Not to be a jerk or anything but I am having a hard time following what the original poster is looking for. We all know what kind of keys they are, but what roll did the keys have in the case? Did they belong to a victim or did the killer find the keys and trace them to the owner and murder them?? I am lost, but the whole Zodiac killer thing is very interesting for sure.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

7CS7

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:04 pm

To be honest, it was a bit of a 'what if' thing lol

The Zodiac Killer is still at large (or deceased by now), that image was sent in 1990 to the SF Chronicle Newspaper, and is thought to be from the Zodiac. That really is as much as anyone knows.

Sounds daft I know, but I thought I'd put them up just to see if the locksport community spotted anything that hadn't been seen as relevant.

I should point out that in the UK, we've got no Post Boxes etc, and I know little about such things! Never mind. It was worth a try.

Steve
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:58 pm

A post office could possibly identify these keys, like where they came from, owner, etc, by the number stamped on the key. He may possibly be dead now of old age, but he was very smart to never trip himself up. I will have to go on the website and look it over, sounds interesting for sure.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.

Return to Lock Picking