FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My brinks 625

<<

taurus420

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:02 am

My brinks 625

Ok I picked this thing once a few weeks ago and now I have the feel down for this thing soo well It feels like I can pick it every time but obviously something inside is keeping it shut. I know it has all serrated key pins & that the very first pin is a hybrid serrated spool pin cause I can see it. & I think there are a couple of these nasty pins inside plus some plain serrated and spool. I use very light tension feeling the pins as I push up on them and usually get a couple to 3 false set feels. The false set is easy & the second false set is easier, but getting it to pop open is a nightmare!!! Any suggestions???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:23 am

Re: My brinks 625

taurus420 wrote:Ok I picked this thing once a few weeks ago and now I have the feel down for this thing soo well It feels like I can pick it every time but obviously something inside is keeping it shut. I know it has all serrated key pins & that the very first pin is a hybrid serrated spool pin cause I can see it. & I think there are a couple of these nasty pins inside plus some plain serrated and spool. I use very light tension feeling the pins as I push up on them and usually get a couple to 3 false set feels. The false set is easy & the second false set is easier, but getting it to pop open is a nightmare!!! Any suggestions???

My experience with Brinks locks is that they share a lot of similar traits to American/Master in the pin dept. A lot of spools (spool hybrids?) in there.

I had similar problems with another Brinks lock and it came down to my tendency to overset the pins. In my over zealousness at picking the lock, I ended up compressing the pin springs to the point that the pins would have a tendency to be below the shear line - even at rest. I was an impetuous little tadpole back then. :x

After you get the 2nd false set, while still maintaining light pressure - try "scrubbing" the tip of the remaining pins ever so gently. Kinda like picking your nose with a hunting knife.

Sometimes those brand new pins tend to hang up and not slide real smoothly.

Hope that helps.
;)
<<

taurus420

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:24 am

Awsome! I started making custom Tension wrench's to help make it easier & I made a stronger one out of an old windshield wiper strip & I used stiffer tension with pulsating tension as I picked and bam! it popped open... So now I'm going to gut this mother & post them pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

taurus420

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Hahah no wonder this thing was hard look at the dam pins! All serrated Hybrid Spools pins except one full serrated & all serrated key pins... this lock is a beauty & very fun to pick!!! :mrgreen:
<<

taurus420

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:01 pm

That's soo crazy that before this thing was soo dam hard and frustrating now I can pick it in seconds... I put the pins back in different positions to make it more difficult & it just seems soo simple now that I know what technique to use. I can't wait for my brand new 1100 series American padlock to get here next week. I'm sure it's going to be just as easy. I'm going to have to start working on my medeco locks now or maybe get an ASSA or Yale Primus somthing like that. What do you guys recommend I try next since I'm obviously to the next level of locksports?
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:30 pm

taurus420 wrote:That's soo crazy that before this thing was soo dam hard and frustrating now Ir maybe get an ASSA or Yale Primus somthing like that.

stay away from the Yale Primus..... :arrow: ;)
heh actually its schlage primus...=) VERY hard to pick.
i would recommend a Stanlley 24/7...great locks and really affordable,
and you wont be setting your goals too high for yourself...
(that can be very discouraging,believe me.)
and still get a good challenge...
NTM, you can get then pinned 6-pin Schlage SC4 keyway...great practice,
(or "primer",if you will) for primus ....
great job on the Brinks.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:56 pm

The more I look at that Brinks, the more it reminds me of an American 5200. Probably uses the same cylinder.
<<

taurus420

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:11 pm

I was thinking about taking another serrated spool pin out of my american 5200 and putting it in the brinks to make it a 6 pin, if it fits. Then I'd have a hell of a practice lock. Then maybe get a hold of another tough pin tumbler lock to play with. I'd like to figure out how to unlock my Medeco Biaxials. I need to make a tension wrench & a tool to turn the pins for the side bar. I don't know what to use though. Like a dental tool, like somthing .45 uses
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:18 pm

Like PacLock, it is a cheap American clone. I am finding Brinks to be increasing in quality. We still sell the American, though, because we have found the clones (at least their cylinders) inconsistent enough to distrust them for master keying.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:32 pm

taurus420 wrote:I was thinking about taking another serrated spool pin out of my american 5200 and putting it in the brinks to make it a 6 pin, if it fits. Then I'd have a hell of a practice lock. Then maybe get a hold of another tough pin tumbler lock to play with. I'd like to figure out how to unlock my Medeco Biaxials. I need to make a tension wrench & a tool to turn the pins for the side bar. I don't know what to use though. Like a dental tool, like somthing .45 uses

You'd best learn pretty quick, Taurus...see the new contest!
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:27 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:The more I look at that Brinks, the more it reminds me of an American 5200. Probably uses the same cylinder.

Exactly what I was thinking Hallis! You remember the Brinks that you could pin yourself, a little kit, could buy them in SC1 or KW1 I have mentioned them before, can't find them at all around here anymore. Anyway talk about a bitch to pick, that KW1 keyway with the Brinks tolerances, had me pissed off at least 3 days a week for 2 months!!! Brinks don't make a bad lock really.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.

Return to Lock Picking