FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Brinks Maximum Security Brass Padlock

<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:15 pm

Brinks Maximum Security Brass Padlock

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice on getting this Brass brinks maximum security padlock into false set. I've only gotten it into false set 3 times. I've tried raking with every rake I own. Different degrees of tension. Everything I can think of. If I could get it into false set efficiently then I could eventually pick it. I'm still learning, but I'm able to pick a couple other locks that I own that have security pins. So I know what a false set looks and feels like. I couldnt find a descent picture of it to post but it's the lock that awol is picking in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O94E_JOt ... re=related

Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. Riff
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:15 am

Re: Brinks Maximum Security Brass Padlock

What works for me is light, top of keyway tension, and a thin short hook - or better yet - a hybrid half-diamond.

Just pay close attention to the feedback - usually, the 4th pin in from the front will get you a false set.

After that, just feel for feedback from the other pins and you soon she'll pop open.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:17 am

HallisChalmers wrote:What works for me is light, top of keyway tension, and a thin short hook - or better yet - a hybrid half-diamond.

Just pay close attention to the feedback - usually, the 4th pin in from the front will get you a false set.

After that, just feel for feedback from the other pins and you soon she'll pop open.

Ok so evidently I'm a little confused. I though you had to get a false set before you could pick the lock. So meaning, if there are 4 spools in there I need to get them ALL caught on the shearline (thus creating the 1 oclock/false set) before you can pick it. So when you say look for the 4th pin and it will give you a false set im a little confused. Even it is has 4 spools in it if I get that one spool you are talking about it will drop into false? Confused. grrrrr Thanks for listening. Riff
Last edited by Riff on Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

l0ckp1cker

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:14 am

If all drivers are spools and when in rest all spools are at the shear line at their thinnest part, except one which is at the shear line at a thicker part of the spool, then if you move it, it will go into a false set by only moving 1 pin.

Of course this usually isn't the case but 2 or more are at the shear line at a thicker part, but for explanation purposes this might help ;)

Hope this makes sense.
Started picking on 23 Feb 2009. Current Stats: Picked 164 different locks so far.
Latest Victory: ABUS EC75/50
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:34 am

boga no luck...ease off.
gently scrub.
pulse tension.
if you drop int false SPP yer way out.
take it one pin @ a time.
relax.
forget about opening the lock.
that is secondary.
good luck never hurt ,either.
so.......
good luck =)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 am

awol70 wrote:boga no luck...ease off.
gently scrub.
pulse tension.
relax.
that is secondary.
so.......
good luck =)

Awol is right, forget about opening the lock - or what I said about the 4th pin, ok?

Here is what you are going to do:

(1) You are only going to concentrate on barely pushing down on the top of each pin.

(2) You can start at the front and work your way back - or start at the back and work your way to the front.

(3) After inserting your tension wrench in the top of the keyway, add light tension - you'll then gradually push on each of the pins.

(4) You'll feel a slight "push back" on the tw from one of the pins as you do this. Location of the pin doesn't matter - just feel for the push back.

(5) When you feel the pushback - gently increase the pressure on that pin until it sets. If you get a false set - great.

(6) Continue the excercise with the remaining pins.

(7) By process of elimination you'll open the lock.

(8) Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:06 pm

<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:53 pm

l0ckp1cker wrote:If all drivers are spools and when in rest all spools are at the shear line at their thinnest part, except one which is at the shear line at a thicker part of the spool, then if you move it, it will go into a false set by only moving 1 pin.

Of course this usually isn't the case but 2 or more are at the shear line at a thicker part, but for explanation purposes this might help ;)

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the reply. Kinda confusing to me. Still trying to digest this info. Thanks Riff
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:58 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
awol70 wrote:boga no luck...ease off.
gently scrub.
pulse tension.
relax.
that is secondary.
so.......
good luck =)

Awol is right, forget about opening the lock - or what I said about the 4th pin, ok?

Here is what you are going to do:

(1) You are only going to concentrate on barely pushing down on the top of each pin.

(2) You can start at the front and work your way back - or start at the back and work your way to the front.

(3) After inserting your tension wrench in the top of the keyway, add light tension - you'll then gradually push on each of the pins.

(4) You'll feel a slight "push back" on the tw from one of the pins as you do this. Location of the pin doesn't matter - just feel for the push back.

(5) When you feel the pushback - gently increase the pressure on that pin until it sets. If you get a false set - great.

(6) Continue the excercise with the remaining pins.

(7) By process of elimination you'll open the lock.

(8) Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Thanks Hallis, During step 4 you are saying that you will feel feedback on the TW even if the lock isnt into false set? I was under the impression that you had to get the lock into false set before the lock can be picked. Meaning achieving a false set is your first priority. That it has to be into false set and then you go after the rest of the pins.
With my other locks with spools I alway get it into false, go after the security pin by feeling feedback and let it snap into place. Lock opens. Thanks for the reply.. Riff
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:05 pm

awol70 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O94E_JOtqW0

Yea awol, Ive watched both of your vids and tried to copy your technique. I think I just need to more experience and a better understanding of how security pins work. I have a basic understanding. But evidently not exactly how they work. Like I said earlier, I thought your first priority with a lock with security pins is to achieve a false set. Then you go in and pick up the security pins. I've also watch most of your other vids, including the explanation of a false set. Thanks alot awol. The help is much appreciated.
Riff :mrgreen:
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Riff wrote:
Thanks Hallis, During step 4 you are saying that you will feel feedback on the TW even if the lock isnt into false set? I was under the impression that you had to get the lock into false set before the lock can be picked. Meaning achieving a false set is your first priority. That it has to be into false set and then you go after the rest of the pins.
With my other locks with spools I alway get it into false, go after the security pin by feeling feedback and let it snap into place. Lock opens. Thanks for the reply.. Riff

What I'm saying is don't get so focused on one item. Yes, the goal is to get a false set - but the point of the excercise is to feel the feedback from the pins. I made the following analogy to another guy stuck in the same mindset: Read the pins like a blind man reads Braile.

Just do it as an excercise sometime. Run your pick along the tops of the pins and try to picture in your mind's eye how much movement there is in each of the pins. The false set can be very subtle - depending on the brand of lock, bitting, etc., the "set" may not be as pronounced.

But, if you keep doing the excercise, the false set will come almost naturally. Yes, the false set is great - but you are only halfway there. You now have to continue reading the other pins and pick it the rest of the way.

I was the same way - I was so fixated on getting the false set, that I had trouble getting past it. End result? You lose the false set and have to start over - creating frustration. When you get frustrated, you overreact and start getting tense.

Then the death grip sneaks in and now you've totally blown it.

Remember, stay relaxed. If you get pissed, frustrated, angry with yourself - walk away, man.

This is not a life or death game, ok?
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:17 am

HallisChalmers wrote:
Riff wrote:

What I'm saying is don't get so focused on one item. Yes, the goal is to get a false set - but the point of the excercise is to feel the feedback from the pins. I made the following analogy to another guy stuck in the same mindset: Read the pins like a blind man reads Braile.

Just do it as an excercise sometime. Run your pick along the tops of the pins and try to picture in your mind's eye how much movement there is in each of the pins. The false set can be very subtle - depending on the brand of lock, bitting, etc., the "set" may not be as pronounced.

But, if you keep doing the excercise, the false set will come almost naturally. Yes, the false set is great - but you are only halfway there. You now have to continue reading the other pins and pick it the rest of the way.

I was the same way - I was so fixated on getting the false set, that I had trouble getting past it. End result? You lose the false set and have to start over - creating frustration. When you get frustrated, you overreact and start getting tense.

Then the death grip sneaks in and now you've totally blown it.

Remember, stay relaxed. If you get pissed, frustrated, angry with yourself - walk away, man.

This is not a life or death game, ok?

Haha....yea dude, I'll take your advice. I'll relax. I stay pretty relaxed. I just want to do things the right way. The lock that I'm working on doesnt provide much feedback on the TW. Actually, no feedback that I can feel. Like I said before, I have other locks with security pins and I can feel feedback. With this lock I feel nothing. Nothing other than the cylinder slightly turning when I set a pin, and of course it turns quite a bit when I get it into false set. It is a mystery to me though why I dont feel any feedback on my TW. It feels like I have to push the pins way up there. If that makes any sense. I'll keep at it. I appreciate the advice. All of it helps.

Thanks Riff
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:29 pm

have you watched "beginner's lockpicking " 4 thru 8?
i have been told they help a lot..
heres a link in case you haven't watched them yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_EMI8B91Kw

(1 thru 4 need to be re-done as i was a beginner myself when i made them...=/ )

<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:19 pm

awol70 wrote:have you watched "beginner's lockpicking " 4 thru 8?
i have been told they help a lot..
heres a link in case you haven't watched them yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_EMI8B91Kw

(1 thru 4 need to be re-done as i was a beginner myself when i made them...=/ )

Most excellent awol. Not sure how I missed these. I'm starting at #1.
Thanks
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:08 am

Riff wrote:
It seems like I have to go heavier on the tension than what I would like. I've learned to back way off. But with this thing its like I have to go heavy on the tension just to keep pins from dropping back down. When I go with light tension, nothing sticks. I've tried all of em over and over again. Thanks for the reply.

Try this: Use light top of keyway tension (you need to have a shortened tension wrench for this - about 1/8 to 3/16ths of an inch). Just be sure the TW is short enough to fit in the groove at the top of the keyway - but doesn't touch the very first pin.

Then very gently stick the hook in & very lightly glide the hook acorss the pins - from front to back. You may set a few pins that way and get the set.

Then once you set it - go in and barely touch the remaining pin(s). IF you don't feel any feedback, it may be ready to open with just a slight touch.

You're a shooter right? Think of that last pin as a dual stage trigger that has the first stage already set. Remember the glass rod analogy - how the trigger finger should slowly pull on the glass rod (trigger) and snap without you flinching?

Pretend that pin is that last stage of the trigger before the hammer drops.Concentrate, take a breath - let half of it out slowly and
s-q-u-e-e-z-e.
Next

Return to Lock Picking