FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help with ace weather guard

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: Help with ace weather guard

in my arsenal of goodies I have a slimline rytan hook, that also has a slimline diamond on the other side, I don't know where I can buy these at as a locksmith gave this too me, but I like the hook, it's a go-to tool when I am having trouble it has bailed me out several times and is worth gold to me.

Also in my own opinion try to stay with the same manufacturer of picks as much as you can, I know I will get crap for saying this! What has happened to me is, I get a good feel for a brand of picks, then switch off to another brand and I lose all feedback and feeling.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:02 pm

I'm going out of town on for the weekend. But you better believe I'm bringing that sucker with me...I'm not gonna give up. Keep the advice coming...I appreciate it greatly. Will be back Sunday. Thanks again. Riff
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Riff wrote:I assume you guys have more or an arsenal of hooks than I do so maybe you guys could give me a little guidance before I start spending money that I dont really have on picks that are going to be just like the ones I already have. Its alot easier to tell the differences when you have them in you hand than from pictures....it's near impossible. Eventually I will own a set of all of them. But im trying to spend my money wisely at the momement. Thanks guys!!! Riff :mrgreen:

If you are on a budget, then the smartest thing you can do is to learn to make your own picks from stainless steel wiper inserts. Go to a Pep Boys, Autozone or other auto parts store and scavenge through their trash can out on the sidewalk. If you can snag 3 or 4 wipers you've got enough material for several picks.

Then just start making short hooks - but with varying angles on the drop point to the pick. If you can make 4 good hooks with different angles - you're on the way.

Then if you feel real creative, start making diamonds with various angles and they'll become hybrids soon enough.

Look at Wiz's vids on YouTube and he can show you how to make handles, etc.
<<

Steve

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:07 pm

try making your own picks with the type of hook you need thats how i started, i didnt buy picks until 2 or 3 months later
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Is this a hybrid diamond? I ordered it from foley, but it wasnt labeled. There is just a small picture of it. Is a hybrid diamond the same thing as an offset diamond???? I'm gonna put this pic up and a link. Sorry about the pic quality. It sucks... Thanks! Riff

https://shop-foley-belsaw.com/foley/IAFDispatcher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Riff wrote:Is this a hybrid diamond? I ordered it from foley, but it wasnt labeled. There is just a small picture of it. Is a hybrid diamond the same thing as an offset diamond???? I'm gonna put this pic up and a link. Sorry about the pic quality. It sucks... Thanks! Riff

Yes, an offset diamond is also called a hybrid diamond.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:38 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
Riff wrote:Is this a hybrid diamond? I ordered it from foley, but it wasnt labeled. There is just a small picture of it. Is a hybrid diamond the same thing as an offset diamond???? I'm gonna put this pic up and a link. Sorry about the pic quality. It sucks... Thanks! Riff

Yes, an offset diamond is also called a hybrid diamond.

Thanks! Any tips on using the offset diamond? I havent been able to figure out how to use it effectively yet...Ive been using it like a rake...but I know that it can be used in more ways than just a rake.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:06 am

Riff wrote:
Thanks! Any tips on using the offset diamond? I havent been able to figure out how to use it effectively yet...Ive been using it like a rake...but I know that it can be used in more ways than just a rake.

Riff: Use it like a deep cut access pick - in other words like a short hook but with a deeper "bend" to it. It will help you get over some of those hi-lo combinations that we previously discussed.

Forget about raking with it - you'll tear up pins like a chainsaw. However, if you grind or file down the diamond point some, you'll end up with an offset half ball. To see what I'm talking about, see the picture below and corresponding pick description from top to bottom.

1e-Euro Slim line offset diamond

2e-Euro Hollow Half Diamond

3e-Euro Straight shank Half Diamond

4e-Euro Slim Line Short Hook

5e-Euro Offset Half Ball

6e--Euro Euro Wave Jiggler

europicks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:09 am

HallisChalmers wrote:
Riff wrote:

Riff: Use it like a deep cut access pick - in other words like a short hook but with a deeper "bend" to it. It will help you get over some of those hi-lo combinations that we previously discussed.

Forget about raking with it - you'll tear up pins like a chainsaw. However, if you grind or file down the diamond point some, you'll end up with an offset half ball. To see what I'm talking about, see the picture below and corresponding pick description from top to bottom.

1e-Euro Slim line offset diamond

2e-Euro Hollow Half Diamond

3e-Euro Straight shank Half Diamond

4e-Euro Slim Line Short Hook

5e-Euro Offset Half Ball

6e--Euro Euro Wave Jiggler

europicks.jpg

Thanks for the tips. The diamond portion of the offset diamond that I own seems much larger than the one pictured. But it's kinda hard to tell from a picture. I get the idea though. I'm gonna keep at it. Thanks! Riff
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:38 am

Riff wrote:Thanks for the tips. The diamond portion of the offset diamond that I own seems much larger than the one pictured. But it's kinda hard to tell from a picture. I get the idea though. I'm gonna keep at it. Thanks! Riff

Those picks in the last picture are the Euro Slim Line picks from Lockpicktools.com. They are slimmer than regular picks and fit better in some of the European style keyways.

The picture that you had originally shown were for HPC picks, which are probably similarly shaped to the first pick in this picture (below) - but with rubber type handles.

hybrid.jpg
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:29 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
Riff wrote:Thanks for the tips. The diamond portion of the offset diamond that I own seems much larger than the one pictured. But it's kinda hard to tell from a picture. I get the idea though. I'm gonna keep at it. Thanks! Riff

Those picks in the last picture are the Euro Slim Line picks from Lockpicktools.com. They are slimmer than regular picks and fit better in some of the European style keyways.

The picture that you had originally shown were for HPC picks, which are probably similarly shaped to the first pick in this picture (below) - but with rubber type handles.

hybrid.jpg

That makes sense. But, the picture that HPC pick that I showed isint rubber handled. Kinda misleading if you ask me (the picture). It's a terrible picuture. It's a nice handle though. But not rubber. Just wanted to make that clear if anyone see's the picture and deciedes to get the pick that the handle is not rubber. Thanks! Riff
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:55 am

Finally popped it open!!!! It was the first or second pin that was setting low and had to use my offset diamond to get underneath it to get to the other pins. False set was VERY suttle. Not sure if it is even noticable......Couldnt even really see any difference(talking about the 1 oclock position)...I could just feel the security pins in there. Can pop it now in about 5 seconds. lol (woohoo)

Now I need to work on that brass brinks maximum.......grrrrrrrrr
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:08 am

I told you that you would get it! It all just takes practice! Don't worry I still have locks that I haven't picked yet, saving them for a rainy day!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:20 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:I told you that you would get it! It all just takes practice! Don't worry I still have locks that I haven't picked yet, saving them for a rainy day!

What about it not going to the "1'oclock" position when it drops into false set? I have to brinks high security I can pick and it's very evident. Does this just depend from lock to lock? is there any other way to tell when a lock is in false set with out it moving to the 1'0clock position??? With this particular lock when you turn the key it is very very springy, or more tension on the spring when you turn it. If that makes any sense. Maybe that's why it's hard to tell when it drops into false set. Thanks!! Riff
<<

Pederson

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:00 pm

Riff wrote:
the lockpickkid wrote:I told you that you would get it! It all just takes practice! Don't worry I still have locks that I haven't picked yet, saving them for a rainy day!

What about it not going to the "1'oclock" position when it drops into false set? I have to brinks high security I can pick and it's very evident. Does this just depend from lock to lock? is there any other way to tell when a lock is in false set with out it moving to the 1'0clock position??? With this particular lock when you turn the key it is very very springy, or more tension on the spring when you turn it. If that makes any sense. Maybe that's why it's hard to tell when it drops into false set. Thanks!! Riff

What I do is mark when its not in false with a sharpie or something so when it drops in I know it. I have a lock like that were you cant really tell if it is in false so that's what I do for it
PreviousNext

Return to Lock Picking