FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Sandpaper for callouses???

<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Sandpaper for callouses???

Hey guys I've been picking so much I have 2 callouses where the blade of the pick is cutting into my finger. One is getting quite big. It seems like im having a loss of "feeling" of what im doing when picking because of it. I read somewhere about taking some really fine sandpaper to em. Fine grit of course LOL to get your sensetivity back..... What do you guys do? I did use the search function but cant find much about it.....No luck with google either....Live with it? Cut it off? I dont really care about the callous itself....but it IS effecting my picking..... grrrrrr Thanks Riff
<<

Pederson

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:24 pm

Re: Sandpaper for callouses???

There is callous remover stuff that you can put on it and it will take it off. Look at your local store they will most likly have it.
<<

vvc-doctor

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:22 pm

I think that a pumice stones can be used on hard skin or calluses on the feet, hands or the elbows, as well as to help remove ingrained dirt from the skin mate so that would be a good bet so you can get just the right feeling back in your hands.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:55 pm

vvc-doctor wrote:I think that a pumice stones can be used on hard skin or calluses on the feet, hands or the elbows, as well as to help remove ingrained dirt from the skin mate so that would be a good bet so you can get just the right feeling back in your hands.

Yep, thanks for the replies. I'm new to this so I know you guys have been through it. I dont really know what to expect. I just wanted to know how you guys handled it.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:35 pm

yo,Riff,when i was a noob i had callouses like 90!
i was using poor technique.
proper technique ( even when i pick for hrs on end)
eliminated all my callouses.
still get sore hands tho.... ;)
lighten up a bit,(on gripping and prying against your skin)
and i would suggest keeping your battle scars as reminders.
mine just *poof* disappeared after i learned how to hold my pick.
(mind you that took about a year...) ;)
most will say there is no "correct" way to hold a pick,but i strongly disagree.
(just my 2¢...)
K.O.P.
awol
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

RangerJ03

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:30 pm

awol70 wrote:most will say there is no "correct" way to hold a pick,but i strongly disagree.

I'm totally with you this one brother. What I do now is pinch the pick between my thumb, first and middle finger. use fulcrum and lever action. fulcrum being the tension wrench or bottom of core, Lever being the pick it's self. Let the pick lift the pin's don't use your fingers to push the pick up. It might take a while to get the feel but it is worth it trust me.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:12 pm

awol70 wrote:yo,Riff,when i was a noob i had callouses like 90!
i was using poor technique.
proper technique ( even when i pick for hrs on end)
eliminated all my callouses.
still get sore hands tho.... ;)
lighten up a bit,(on gripping and prying against your skin)
and i would suggest keeping your battle scars as reminders.
mine just *poof* disappeared after i learned how to hold my pick.
(mind you that took about a year...) ;)
most will say there is no "correct" way to hold a pick,but i strongly disagree.
(just my 2¢...)
K.O.P.
awol

I've studied your technique, it looks like the only difference between mine and yours (Holding the pick I mean) is that it looks like that you also use your middle finger along with your index finger to pick up the blade part of the pick. Yes being a beginner I'm sure I've been using a little more force than needed. I'm currently figuring that out. But it's not like I've been using my picks like a prybar either. Should I use the bottom of the keyway to help pick up the pick??? I think you know what I mean, or should I just use my finger? Right now Im not using the bottom of the keyway at all. The blade of my pick never touches it......I'm learning to SPP on master #3's. Thanks Riff
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:32 am

Riff wrote:Hey guys I've been picking so much I have 2 callouses where the blade of the pick is cutting into my finger. One is getting quite big. It seems like im having a loss of "feeling" of what im doing when picking because of it. I read somewhere about taking some really fine sandpaper to em. Fine grit of course LOL to get your sensetivity back..... What do you guys do? I did use the search function but cant find much about it.....No luck with google either....Live with it? Cut it off? I dont really care about the callous itself....but it IS effecting my picking..... grrrrrr Thanks Riff

Man up brother.

Take the pain and wear your callouses like a badge of honor. You don't want to be one of those sidewalk sissies with soft hands and a limp wrist.

If you insist on having them removed either burn them off with a lighter or slice 'em up real fine - like chopping up a clove of garlic with an Ace Hardware razor blade.

;)
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:46 am

Hallis? hmmmmm. WOW. ok. My callouses went away as well as I slowly learned the correct way to pick. People tend to use way too much force, it's just a newbie thing and you will grow out of it.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:43 am

HallisChalmers wrote:
Riff wrote:Hey guys I've been picking so much I have 2 callouses where the blade of the pick is cutting into my finger. One is getting quite big. It seems like im having a loss of "feeling" of what im doing when picking because of it. I read somewhere about taking some really fine sandpaper to em. Fine grit of course LOL to get your sensetivity back..... What do you guys do? I did use the search function but cant find much about it.....No luck with google either....Live with it? Cut it off? I dont really care about the callous itself....but it IS effecting my picking..... grrrrrr Thanks Riff

Man up brother.

Take the pain and wear your callouses like a badge of honor. You don't want to be one of those sidewalk sissies with soft hands and a limp wrist.

If you insist on having them removed either burn them off with a lighter or slice 'em up real fine - like chopping up a clove of garlic with an Ace Hardware razor blade.

;)

It has nothing to do with caring that the callouses are there as far as the way they look. I thought I made that pretty clear. I dont care about that. I've played guitar for 15 years and I have nasty callouses on my left hand. But with guitar, they dont effect my playing. I'm having a hard time feeling things moving around in the lock with this thick piece of skin in the way and being new I really need to feel everything going on in there. As for pain, I have a blown disc in my neck. SO I live in pain EVERYDAY. I know pain. I really dont care about that either. It was just a question that I knew you guys had some knowledge of because you have been through it before. I was wondering if this was normal or not and if not what to do about it. Riff
<<

GutterClown

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:44 am

Yo, Nancyhands.

Change your style, change your tools, and change your habits.

The only reason you're having problems is because you're not solving them.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 pm

GutterClown wrote:Yo, Nancyhands.

Hahahahaha...........man u guys are really giving me a hard time. It was just a question. It is effecting my picking. I dont care about the pain. I probably do have nancyhands! I think u guys dont remember what it was like to be a beginer. When I do something I want to do it right, AND when I got into this I became obsesses..... I really do pick locks all day...and all night....Really!......ok thanks ....bad form, should not have callous. got it. I was not complaining!!! 8-)
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:32 pm

Riff wrote:

Hahahahaha...........man u guys are really giving me a hard time. It was just a question. It is effecting my picking. I dont care about the pain. I probably do have nancyhands! I think u guys dont remember what it was like to be a beginer. When I do something I want to do it right, AND when I got into this I became obsesses..... I really do pick locks all day...and all night....Really!......ok thanks ....bad form, should not have callous. got it. I was not complaining!!! 8-)

Ok, ok...quit yer bitchin'. Here you go: http://www.beastskills.com/calluses.htm

Then you can soak them in lanolin for that rich creamy buttery smoothness that crack ho's and horny convicts prefer. (Wanker)

Seriously though - just lighten up with the death grip on the pick when you're picking.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:57 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
Riff wrote:

Ok, ok...quit yer bitchin'. Here you go: http://www.beastskills.com/calluses.htm

Then you can soak them in lanolin for that rich creamy buttery smoothness that crack ho's and horny convicts prefer. (Wanker)

Seriously though - just lighten up with the death grip on the pick when you're picking.

Haha.... Hallis, I'm not bitching bro... I'm not gonna do all that removal crap. I didnt know if it was normal or not to have the callouses like that....I'll just loosen up on my death grip and I'm sure all will be well. Thanks.... :mrgreen: Riff
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Riff, we are all just joking, don't take offense. It is normal when you first start picking to get callouses, I myself didn't get any but I did wear some skin off of my fingers and it hurt a little when I picked, but, once you learn to hold your picks properly and use less force with your tools everything will be fine. And just for good measure...."Quite your bitchen!!!!" :lol:
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
Next

Return to Lock Picking