FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

ASSA Ruko Thumbturn help please.

<<

uklockpicka

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:49 am

ASSA Ruko Thumbturn help please.

Sitting in college yesterday on my break picking a lock, my tutor says have ago at the coffee rooms door at the back of our conference room, so i got my short hook and used TOK tension. I discovered the lock was full of serrated pins, after about 5mins the lock was picked and the plug turned all the way around 360 degrees and it didnt engage the cam in the middle of the lock????? evedently it didnt through the bolt to the open position.

I looked at the key and on the part where there is no cuts there is a hole about a mm wide, so im guessing the cam has a little spike that sticks in the hole on the top of the key and opens the lock???

Has anybody ever come across this before???

And any ideas for a tool to engage the cam in the lock ???

UKLOCKPICKA
PERSAVIERNCE IS THE KEY
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: ASSA Ruko Thumbturn help please.

any chance of pics?
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

uklockpicka

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:42 pm

awol70 wrote:any chance of pics?

I was having trouble uploading earlier but i will try again now : )

It didnt work again it just says '' The extension bmp is not allowed. '' for some reason heres the link to the page. its the flex core on the right of the page

http://www.assa.co.uk/index.php?id=10494&ssel=10484
PERSAVIERNCE IS THE KEY
<<

keymaker

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:30 pm

that notch on the tip of the key isn't activating anything. This is common also with Best keys. This is called the "Tip Stop". Its only use is for copying or coding the keys. It's the keys "Shoulder". As for why you didn't pick it...well, is it a knob cylinder, mortise cylinder, deadbolt, profile cylinder? Does the key actually unlock and lock this door? If it doesn't then you more than likely have a loose cam on the mortise, broke or bent tail piece on the deadbolt/knob cylinder. Need more info...

Hope this helped some...
-J-

When all else fails, use a hammer...a really Big one!

Locksmith Technician
<<

GutterClown

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:35 am

The reason you couldn't unlock it is because the cylinder has a thumbturn.

These use a sliding hub \ two-way cam system. When no key is inserted, the key cylinder disengages from the thumbturn cylinder. When the key is inserted, it pushes the hub though the cam, engaging the key cylinder.

This is why, if you turn the thumbturn, the key cylinder doesn't turn. But if you insert a key, and turn it, the thumbturn turns also.

What you need to do when you've picked these, is insert a rod, tention tool, or piece of firm wire into the keyway, right to the back and push. The hub is spring-loaded, so if you release pressure it will disengage.

While holding pressure on it, turn the cylinder as usual, the lock should operate.
<<

uklockpicka

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:07 am

GutterClown wrote:The reason you couldn't unlock it is because the cylinder has a thumbturn.

These use a sliding hub \ two-way cam system. When no key is inserted, the key cylinder disengages from the thumbturn cylinder. When the key is inserted, it pushes the hub though the cam, engaging the key cylinder.

This is why, if you turn the thumbturn, the key cylinder doesn't turn. But if you insert a key, and turn it, the thumbturn turns also.

What you need to do when you've picked these, is insert a rod, tention tool, or piece of firm wire into the keyway, right to the back and push. The hub is spring-loaded, so if you release pressure it will disengage.

While holding pressure on it, turn the cylinder as usual, the lock should operate.

That sounds perfect gutterclown you hit the nail right on the head, it is a thumbturn and now that you mention about pushing the cam with a wire or tw it all makes sense. This is because i remember when i picked a mult lock euro thumbturn i remember that when i pushed my pick to the back there was a springiness to the cam, i wondered ' what is that for ' so you killed two birds with one stone and answered both my questions lol :D :D

So thanks for the advice and help and i will let you no how i get on : )

Uklp
PERSAVIERNCE IS THE KEY
<<

uklockpicka

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:10 am

keymaker wrote:that notch on the tip of the key isn't activating anything. This is common also with Best keys. This is called the "Tip Stop". Its only use is for copying or coding the keys. It's the keys "Shoulder". As for why you didn't pick it...well, is it a knob cylinder, mortise cylinder, deadbolt, profile cylinder? Does the key actually unlock and lock this door? If it doesn't then you more than likely have a loose cam on the mortise, broke or bent tail piece on the deadbolt/knob cylinder. Need more info...

Hope this helped some...

Yes mate ive learned something new about the key coding of the key and some new termonolgy from you so thanks mate, and yes the key locks and unlocks the cylinder.

Cheers mate
PERSAVIERNCE IS THE KEY

Return to Lock Picking