FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

25 Weiser KnK cylinders spp'd

<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Tue May 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: 25 Weiser KnK cylinders spp'd

awol70 wrote:they were bound for recycling...
oh,and we dont discuss picking at work..("us &them" scenario...)
(that's for the bar after work...)
anyway,this guy does not do outcalls.
he just pecks codes into a machine...
(also a MTL dealer..)
i kinda feel sorry for his obese ass..

Ok, I get it now. One of those guys with a few key machines and code books. The only reason I mentioned it was because.
the lockpickkid wrote:Well I recently took some company training and the 25 year locksmith was showing some beginners how to repin a schlage lock, he dumped everything out and grabbed a spool with tweezers and told everybody "this is a mushroom security pin" I said, " a mushroom, thats a spool" he said , "oh same thing" granted this guy is a great safe man, but when I heard him say that I thought, jeez, all that experience and he thinks that a mushroom is the same as a spool. This is the same guy that told me that there is no such thing as the tension tool to to tension the cam on I-cores to remove the core. The guy was a total ass, and a big fricken know it all, and it was impossible to learn anything from him.

I had an almost identical thing happen to me with a guy who's primary interest was now safes, but I approached him in his shop, so it's a little different. The thing was he gave me a few regular locks to fool with, I beat 'em standing there, and asked him if he knew if they were spools or mushrooms. He says,"There is no difference." I leave, and reflect... this is a guy who deals medeco, gave me a few corbin master ring mortice's, sfic's, and other random stuff to pick on. He damn sure knew the difference between those two drivers. It was something that made me think because of the way he said it. Like he knew something I didn't. So, probably advice. The next time I stopped in I spin it for him, and with a grin he says,"So you were listening." He wasn't sure about me because of the way I was being a know it all :oops: Me: "It's a shroom, serrated, spool, or other security driver, that doesn't change the way you want approach it." After 30 years he knew what most of us relearn too often, that you can't pigeon hole a lock for having X type pins. It's something you deal with on an individual basis when you come across it. In the broadest sense it shouldn't affect the ideal way you want to pick a lock that could have any type driver inside, with a blank slate building it in your head as you feel it out. To assume a lock has one over the other is a fool's chore that is going to eventually trip you up. He know's there is a difference, so do I, but it was just something that has me paying more attention to smith's I had previously walked out on. Turns out I have dismissed a few, very few, guys who had valuable knowledge just because I was hung up on vocabulary, a particular lock type, brand, or some other crap I was set on.
Old men are cranky, especially when you corner them at work correcting their terminology :lol:

-Tooly
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue May 19, 2009 6:24 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote:
awol70 wrote:they were bound for recycling...
oh,and we dont discuss picking at work..("us &them" scenario...)
(that's for the bar after work...)
anyway,this guy does not do outcalls.
he just pecks codes into a machine...
(also a MTL dealer..)
i kinda feel sorry for his obese ass..

Ok, I get it now. One of those guys with a few key machines and code books. The only reason I mentioned it was because.
the lockpickkid wrote:Well I recently took some company training and the 25 year locksmith was showing some beginners how to repin a schlage lock, he dumped everything out and grabbed a spool with tweezers and told everybody "this is a mushroom security pin" I said, " a mushroom, thats a spool" he said , "oh same thing" granted this guy is a great safe man, but when I heard him say that I thought, jeez, all that experience and he thinks that a mushroom is the same as a spool. This is the same guy that told me that there is no such thing as the tension tool to to tension the cam on I-cores to remove the core. The guy was a total ass, and a big fricken know it all, and it was impossible to learn anything from him.

I had an almost identical thing happen to me with a guy who's primary interest was now safes, but I approached him in his shop, so it's a little different. The thing was he gave me a few regular locks to fool with, I beat 'em standing there, and asked him if he knew if they were spools or mushrooms. He says,"There is no difference." I leave, and reflect... this is a guy who deals medeco, gave me a few corbin master ring mortice's, sfic's, and other random stuff to pick on. He damn sure knew the difference between those two drivers. It was something that made me think because of the way he said it. Like he knew something I didn't. So, probably advice. The next time I stopped in I spin it for him, and with a grin he says,"So you were listening." He wasn't sure about me because of the way I was being a know it all :oops: Me: "It's a shroom, serrated, spool, or other security driver, that doesn't change the way you want approach it." After 30 years he knew what most of us relearn too often, that you can't pigeon hole a lock for having X type pins. It's something you deal with on an individual basis when you come across it. In the broadest sense it shouldn't affect the ideal way you want to pick a lock that could have any type driver inside, with a blank slate building it in your head as you feel it out. To assume a lock has one over the other is a fool's chore that is going to eventually trip you up. He know's there is a difference, so do I, but it was just something that has me paying more attention to smith's I had previously walked out on. Turns out I have dismissed a few, very few, guys who had valuable knowledge just because I was hung up on vocabulary, a particular lock type, brand, or some other crap I was set on.
Old men are cranky, especially when you corner them at work correcting their terminology :lol:

-Tooly

very well observed,tooly....tooo true.
(i try to have an open mind even when doors are being slammed in my face..)
gotta quench that thirst for knowledge..=)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue May 19, 2009 7:15 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote: Old men are cranky, especially when you corner them at work correcting their terminology :lol:

-Tooly

...damn know-it all kids, always bitchin' and cracking wise about their elders...
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue May 19, 2009 7:51 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
ToolyMcgee wrote: Old men are cranky, especially when you corner them at work correcting their terminology :lol:

-Tooly

...damn know-it all kids, always bitchin' and cracking wise about their elders...

wait a minute...how old are we talkin' here? :arrow: 8-)
( i was born in 70'...obviously...=/)
am I ancient or what?

<<

HallisChalmers

Post Tue May 19, 2009 8:03 pm

awol70 wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:

-Tooly

am I ancient or what?

1970? Shit Awol, you still have puppy-breath! How does 1956 sound?
Stay on the porch and piss with the pups, kid.
:P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue May 19, 2009 8:31 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
awol70 wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:

-Tooly

am I ancient or what?

1970? Sh!t Awol, you still have puppy-breath! How does 1956 sound?
Stay on the porch and piss with the pups, kid.
:P

well,that does make me feel not so old..
(better go for a skate just to make sure..)
but i am a grandfather,as well...
:o

<<

Windowstweeker

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 22, 2009 2:40 pm

that is a shame....
practice practice practice
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Fri May 22, 2009 9:12 pm

Wow you guys are ancien....... ummmmm......... experienced (LOL)
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Fri May 22, 2009 9:27 pm

.45cal wrote:Wow you guys are ancien....... ummmmm......... experienced (LOL)

Yup. Age and treachery overcome youth and skill. :twisted:
Previous

Return to Lock Picking