FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Next level up

<<

clodester

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 12, 2009 4:48 am

Next level up

Ok, so I personally think that there is no point in continuing any skill unless you plan on advancing and progress your skill.

So in keeping with this thought, now I have picked an American 1100 I now have my eyes set on a bigger prize. Now I am not as naive enough to think I no longer have to deal with an American lock, far from it, i have 2 more keyed different on order, and the 1100 is now my fav lock to pick. However I need a different challenge.

I recently took out a Masterlock exel m5 boron carbide thing which turned out to be raked like a dream (vid to come soon). So I implore you, the good people of this fine forum to suggest a good follow up lock from an American 1100.

Personally I cant wait to try things like medeco or mul t locks, but I don't know if i am ready for these, and I have no idea which one to try first, so if someone could point me in a good direction for my next nightmare.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue May 12, 2009 8:22 am

Re: Next level up

clodester wrote:So in keeping with this thought, now I have picked an American 1100 I now have my eyes set on a bigger prize. Now I am not as naive enough to think I no longer have to deal with an American lock, far from it, i have 2 more keyed different on order, and the 1100 is now my fav lock to pick. However I need a different challenge.

Frisky, eh? Try sticking that 1100 in a vise and picking it statically - in other words, fixed in place. It'll give you a different outlook. Once you get that little obstacle over with - see if you can get a hold of some rim or mortise cylinders. Schlage is always a good start. :)
<<

clodester

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 12, 2009 11:02 am

schlage cylinder you say eh? What sort of difficulty are they? whats the security situation with them?
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue May 12, 2009 11:34 am

clodester wrote:schlage cylinder you say eh? What sort of difficulty are they? whats the security situation with them?

Schlage rim cylinders are just a slightly different feel, at least for me anyway. Also, try other varieties - like Ilco or Sargent rim cyls.

If you want to stick w/ padlocks for a while, but want a challenge try one of these Kryptos:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-New-SCHLAGE-KRYPTONITE-PADLOCKS-BRASS-2-x-1-4-Shackle_W0QQitemZ400048581593QQihZ027QQcategoryZ53150QQssPageNameZWDVWQQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Picture KEY & DRIVER pins of varying lengths - unlike Americans who only vary their key pin lengths - but retain the same height for all drivers. You'll find short key pins with long drivers and long key pins with short drivers and differing combinations in between inside of these babies.

Good hair-pulling stuff. :x

Watch Wizwazzle's vid

<<

omegaman

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 12, 2009 3:56 pm

as Hallis says try sticking the lock in a vise I thought I could pick locks ok until I tried that
& let me tell you an example an abus 65/50 that I could pick in say 2 or three mins took me
about 15 or more but as the wise lockpicker always says practice practice & practice some more.
<<

RangerJ03

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 13, 2009 3:18 am

Yeah static picking is always a good thing. If you must have something new, Try here I think there still running a deal on the 50MM. It's got the SC4 keyway. Or maybe a Lockwood 234c45 or the yale 800 series. Well good luck Brother Hope I was of some help.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Cat/Padlo ... /1378/List
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Wed May 13, 2009 4:16 am

Ive just picked my 1100, but i didnt find them as hard as some lockwoods !! maybe try a lockwood

Return to Lock Picking