FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Unable to pick tubular lock with HUK set

<<

sandbags98

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:50 pm

Unable to pick tubular lock with HUK set

I'm trying to expand my knowledge and got the hang of picking some basic regular locks fairly quickly, but I'm struggling with tubular locks, well the one tubular lock I have. I ordered the HUK picking tools and am learning with it on a tubular lock that my dad had for laying around for years with no key and I cant seem to get it open with this set. I saw in a video some ACE II locks cant be picked with this method, I don't think this is an ACE II as it doesn't say that anywhere but I ordered the Goat wrench to learn picking these locks by probing and am waiting for it.

In the meantime I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, its embarrassing all the tutorial videos make it seem so easy. I spent hours trying different number of rubberbands on the tool and the fingers look like they are keying right but no sign of the lock budging. It appears to be a regular old tubular size 7.8 lock with 7 pins, it also has a number marking in front that says s877 which I have no clue what it means. Any tips on this, if its not opening easy with the tool am I just wasting my time? Also is there any place I can order a known susceptible tubular lock that I can practice on with the HUK keys? I see theres a bunch on amazon, not sure which is a good option to practice on for a newbie like myself!

Thanks!
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:28 pm

Re: Unable to pick tubular lock with HUK set

Do you have that tri color set? If you do I concur. They suck for me, too. I'm gonna keep it around since they might be useful for something.
<<

sandbags98

Post Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Kezo wrote:Do you have that tri color set? If you do I concur. They suck for me, too. I'm gonna keep it around since they might be useful for something.

Yep, thats the one, I got the Goat tension bar and picked it within a couple minutes. Pretty disappointing I cant get the other set to work.
<<

Visitor

Post Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:36 am

I notice a lot of these Chinese tubular picks now come without the pin in the bore which pretty much renders them useless, do yours have the pin in? If you're not sure what I mean post up a pic of the pick showing the end of the bit that goes in the lock.
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:29 am

Visitor wrote:I notice a lot of these Chinese tubular picks now come without the pin in the bore which pretty much renders them useless, do yours have the pin in? If you're not sure what I mean post up a pic of the pick showing the end of the bit that goes in the lock.

They didn't put the pin in the case or packaging separately? Mines came like that. Almost lost it if I wasn't paying attention. A lot of times you can cut down a small allen wrench and shove it in there as a replacement.
<<

Visitor

Post Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:34 pm

Most I've seen don't even have the holes either, I bought a set from banggood as a back up and I've had to drill the holes and provide/fit the pins. I got a pack of sellock pins from ebay, got plenty of extras to have a go making some magic keys as well :)
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:46 pm

Visitor wrote:Most I've seen don't even have the holes either.

Oh. That's not cool.
<<

Visitor

Post Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:52 pm

It took me a little while to drill them as well, I had to machine a plug with a hole in the correct offset so I could use it as a drill guide, the set of 3 took plus an extra took 3 different guides so it turned in to a couple of hours of a job. I used sellock pins and are all fine now.
To be fair I can't complain as banggood refunded the set of 3 when I mentioned there were no pins and no holes, they were sitting on a shelf for over 12 months as I only bought them as they were so cheap.

Return to Lock Picking