FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Medeco bilevel

<<

LockpickingChef

Post Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:03 pm

Medeco bilevel

Hey everyone, I'm currently picking at a titalium/American 1100/ commando lock level. Any thoughts on if the medeco bilevel would be an appropriate step up? If not any suggestions with where to go from here without crazy expense? I've also got into a few dimple locks. (I'm waiting for LPL's and BB'S disc detainer pick before I dive into disc detainers) I bought the chinesium crap model and broke it almost instantly.
Thanks for your help!
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:09 am

Re: Medeco bilevel

Mate, the possibilities are almost endless. You're at a very exciting stage with your picking, because you've only barely scratched the surface of conventional pin tumbler locks, let alone move on to other locking systems like dimples / levers / discs / combos / whatever.

If you choose to carry on with standard pin tumbler style locks, there is a whole world of fine tolerances, high security locks you've probably never even heard of... even something as simple as a narrow, paracentric, European style keyway will add a level of complexity that you haven't dreamed of.

The Reddit belt ranking list gets given a hard time by certain sections of the picking community. But it's a bloody useful tool for someone at your stage. I'm on my phone and it's a pain to link, but just google Reddit lockpicking belt ranking list and you'll see a reasonably good if somewhat American centric list of locks graded roughly by difficulty. Figure out where your skills currently rank, and choose something from that level or the one above.

Cost...I hate to break it to you but once you get serious about hobby picking, the locks get waaaaay more expensive than the tools. Guys tend to hold onto high security locks, and once you start stripping and beating really tough stuff, you're probably going to need to buy the locks new (or get really lucky second hand on eBay).

Have a look at the Reddit list...where do you think you fall?

Best wishes,

MHM.
<<

LockpickingChef

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:16 pm

Yea...I had a feeling you would say that about the cost haha, may be time to go get acquainted with the local locksmith. I would say I'm picking at a blue belt level right now. Probably the last "cheap" lock I see will be the PAClock pl410 pro loto.
On the belt list I do see medeco biaxial m3, is that different than bilevel? I love that I'm finally scratching the surface and ready to dive in, thanks for your help!
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:07 am

Lockwiki is your friend.

http://lockwiki.com/index.php/Medeco_BiLevel

The Bilevel is not a "true" Medeco in the sense that you don't have to rotate the pins...it's basically an easy six pin lock with a wide open keyway and a few security pins, plus one extra thing you have to poke to set the sidebar. The Biaxial is an order of magnitude harder.

What I'd do is pick a whole lot more locks in that Blue belt list - there are some genuinely challenging locks in there. If you really feel the need to try a Medeco, get a three pin camlock, they're a great little lock to start rotating pins on, and they're fairly common in the USA picking community so you can fairly readily trade one for something. Edit: You don't need a key to pull one of those things apart so if you can find a keyless one, go for it.

If you have any contacts with Euro or British pickers, get your hands on any of the Abus, Assa, GeGe, Kaba, or Zeiss locks on that list. Those things are all constructed ENTIRELY differently to your domestically made locks and any of them will put the fear of God into you.

Return to Lock Picking