FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

The Schlage SC1 I couldn't pick

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:30 pm

The Schlage SC1 I couldn't pick

Mentlegen. It has been a while since I've made a thread and its definitely a fun one.

The backstory to this is my friend purchased a condo for herself and was finally given the keys to move in. I went with her one day to visit the condo as it was still a work in progress and she went to unlock her door and the keys didn't work. She tried both sets of keys on both doors and nothing worked. Looking at the lock and her keys I saw they were Schlage SC1 5 pinners, which should have been very easy to pick. The locks were Key in doorknob cylinders. I offered to pick the door open. She gave me permission to pick her locks. I was pretty excited as I hadn't picked in a while and definitely haven't done a lockout in a long time. I whipped out my wallet carry set which had my two peterson prybars and a custom made carbon fiber short hook from ChemicalRobot.

My cocky ass thought this would be easy. Nope. After an hour of picking and getting this lock into crazy weird false sets that felt like extreme countermilling or that the locksmith who pinned these locks was some kind of diabolical labratory clone of Farmerfreak, I gave up and she went home to get her "other set of keys". While she drove to get her other keys I stayed behind to try picking her second door into the apartment. Same thing. The lock would go into a weird false set and I could barely pick any further. It got to the point where I had 4 of the 5 pins lifted and set, the lock was in a false set, and the 5th pin absolutely refused to lift no matter what I did. The strange behavior of the locks coupled with the wobbly doorknobs humbled me the fuck up pretty hard.

It turns out she just simply had the wrong keys. The locks were "fine" and we got inside. Well I wasn't fine. I asked her If I could have the locks after she replaced them. I removed the cylinder, put it in a vice, actually managed to pick one of them within a few minutes. Now its time to gut the fucker.

What's inside?

Well, normal keypins... but the drivers? Upside down Schlage T-Pins attached to springs used as drivers. I was false setting onto the springs themselves. Who does this? It is my understanding that these pins :tpin: are meant to be used on the top of the spring so when the spring collapses it collapses around the T-pin and cannot be crushed and that they were never meant to be used as drivers. Both locks have all 5 chambers pinned like this. Is this factory or did some locksmith pin this up like a lunatic?

CRD3p2vX-XCopy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: The Schlage SC1 I couldn't pick

I have always seen them used just as you show it there in that cylinder. Every once in a while you can get lucky punching a key blank in with a bump hammer and cause the bible cover to fly off. Then you can rake like a mad man to cause the pins to pop out.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:29 pm

That is how they come from the factory - they ARE the driver pins. I work on them every other day.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:50 pm

Have seen this in New Zealand and it caught me out too. Four were "standard" standards, one was this thing. It went into a really weird deep springy false set, and in retrospect it felt exactly like what it was. I was told it was an anti-bump measure.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:10 am

Yep, very common in my area. I was told it's designed that way so the spring, driver(T-Pin) and bible cover can be compressed to fit into the newer knobs. The older knobs had 2 separate parts that needed to be removed to get to the cylinder. I have good luck raking with Bogota. Picking in "The Wild" always presents unique challenges.

As eluded to before:
https://youtu.be/3mS8hPwWNrY

NewXvsXOldX1.JPG

NewXvsXOldX2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jfw

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:40 pm

That looks like the F-series SC1 residential KIK. Be careful with that flimsy metal over the bible, and the springs themselves are very delicate and get trashed easily when dis/assembling them. Mastersmith knows a lot about them.
<<

Gabesthomas

Post Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:29 pm

jharveee wrote:Yep, very common in my area. I was told it's designed that way so the spring, driver(T-Pin) and bible cover can be compressed to fit into the newer knobs. The older knobs had 2 separate parts that needed to be removed to get to the cylinder. I have good luck raking with Bogota. Picking in "The Wild" always presents unique challenges.

As eluded to before:
https://youtu.be/3mS8hPwWNrY

NewXvsXOldX1.JPG

NewXvsXOldX2.JPG

OH MY DOG,
I hate those schlage bastards with the bible cover that is floating. When I first encountered them I thought they were broken, but after finding more and more and more every other day, I realized thats how they came. Theyre meant to be compressed when inserted into the knob, theyre a pain to extract.

When I come across them, sometimes I'll glue the bible down.
<<

axegod5150

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:23 am

ilco bump halt pin kit... springs are abnormally strong.

Return to Lock Picking