FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Trying To Pick An FJM Security Disc Detainer Lock?

<<

coderz

Post Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:15 am

Trying To Pick An FJM Security Disc Detainer Lock?

It appears to be one of the cheaper models that should definitely be pickable. I can't get any tension with the cheap disc detainer picks though that you get from China. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to buy detainer picks that would fit in something like this? Where can I get better ones, or how can I modify my own? The front grip part doesn't appear to be long enough to fit into the first disc of this lock for tension. I really appreciate the help. A link to the lock is below:

https://www.amazon.com/FJM-Security-SPRS60-KD-Shrouded-Different/dp/B001LFPJXQ
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:25 am

Re: Trying To Pick An FJM Security Disc Detainer Lock?

Should be the standard Chinese model. The standard Chinese pick (the blue one) needs to be modified to fit in and to be thin enough to just move one disc. I tensioned it at the back. I did took me a long time to get it open the first time, because the positions of the disc seemed to be overall very good, but it won't open. Reason was that one disc was not turned far enough and to be able to turn it I had to move the tensioner back much more than I had to for the other discs.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

coderz

Post Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:Should be the standard Chinese model. The standard Chinese pick (the blue one) needs to be modified to fit in and to be thin enough to just move one disc. I tensioned it at the back. I did took me a long time to get it open the first time, because the positions of the disc seemed to be overall very good, but it won't open. Reason was that one disc was not turned far enough and to be able to turn it I had to move the tensioner back much more than I had to for the other discs.

Thanks bud. So this should be a read tensioning lock? How thick/long does the end need to be? It wouldn't even fit in the lock before, but I have a table grinder and I've ground it down so it isn't very fat, but it's still the same length. I'm thinking this is still tensioning to many discs in the read with the blue pick?

Any suggestions? I appreciate your help!
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:11 am

The lock you have shown is of this type: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=julFaEd_-40 Is your lock the same?

I made for this lock the pick which is attached. It is quite smaller than the original blue pick. So I started with making a complete new tensioner, because the original one looks to me friction fit and I feared that it would go into two pieces if I grind it down. After this I just made also the other part, so I have an untouched Chinese pick which might be suitable for a different lock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

coderz

Post Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:16 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:The lock you have shown is of this type: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=julFaEd_-40 Is your lock the same?

I made for this lock the pick which is attached. It is quite smaller than the original blue pick. So I started with making a complete new tensioner, because the original one looks to me friction fit and I feared that it would go into two pieces if I grind it down. After this I just made also the other part, so I have an untouched Chinese pick which might be suitable for a different lock.

Thanks for your help. For some crazy reason my blue pick looked different than that one, and it broke. The shaft part where the part that turns the discs is too thick. The picture your showing it appears to be thinner. Where did you get that different tensioner part if you don't mind me asking?

As far as the video you linked I thought for sure they were the same lock. In fact when I searched for that SOBO this FJM lock came up. They look the same, but I think there "might" be some subtle differences. I think the core might be deeper in the lock in mine. What I mean by this is the distance from the hole in the front to the actual core and the discs. I CANNOT get any tension when the start front tensioning disc detainer pick that TLPL uses in that video. I don't think it's making contact since it's too deep, but it's hard to tell. I've thought about modifying the Chinese front tension one by grinding down the round fat area of the tensioning part in the front making it thinner so it will fit in the core.

I really appreciate any help with this, as this has been somewhat frustrating. I don't even mind posting a video of what I mean.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:01 pm

The thin version is home made. The thick one is how I got it. I also need to tension at the back/rear/deep down.
<<

coderz

Post Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:20 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:The thin version is home made. The thick one is how I got it. I also need to tension at the back/rear/deep down.

How is TLPL tensioning it from the front and making it work? Can you do it either way? I really appreciate the help. I've broke two of these chineese cheap picks too. The blue one and the front tensioning one is no longer holding even after tightening the little allen screw. I've never had a problem ultimately even with complex dimple locks from Abus, but I'm so new to this disc detainer thing it's making things rough.

I will probably have to buy another blue one. There's also that expensive disc detainer pick on here from Jaakko; do you know if that will do the trick with this lock?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:55 pm

I can't tension the lock here on the front. Tried it. Doesn't work a bit.

I don't know any other disc detainer picks than this Chinese pack. Normal locks are not my main interest.

Disc detainer locks need often specific picks. An expensive pick has probably been made for expensive aka good disc detainer locks. It might fit by accident in your cheap Chinese lock. Depending on your monetary situation you might want to buy and try it. If you you have the tools try making the tips yourself. Reuse of the Chinese handles safes quite a bit of work.
<<

coderz

Post Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:19 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:I can't tension the lock here on the front. Tried it. Doesn't work a bit.

I don't know any other disc detainer picks than this Chinese pack. Normal locks are not my main interest.

Disc detainer locks need often specific picks. An expensive pick has probably been made for expensive aka good disc detainer locks. It might fit by accident in your cheap Chinese lock. Depending on your monetary situation you might want to buy and try it. If you you have the tools try making the tips yourself. Reuse of the Chinese handles safes quite a bit of work.

Oh my gosh. Thanks for the help. I'm going to try this again buying a cheap rear tension pick. Where or how did you make the thin part that the needle is going through?
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:12 am

The only truly universal disc detainer pick is my Silver Bullet. If you need to tension from the rear then you're out of luck using anything else. Indeed, the front-tension Chinesium pick won't work for most.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:52 am

Btw. there is also this lock, which is IMHO a disc detainer lock with curtain:
http://www.safespares.co.uk/product/ros ... -141-0001/
The bit on the key determines how far the disc turns and if the sidebar falls into the gate.

PS: I believe this is the old model and the new model has a W-formed profile key and 15 pins for locking. If you try to buy one make sure you get the disc detainer one.
<<

coderz

Post Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:07 pm

huxleypig wrote:The only truly universal disc detainer pick is my Silver Bullet. If you need to tension from the rear then you're out of luck using anything else. Indeed, the front-tension Chinesium pick won't work for most.

Huxleypig are you selling these disc detainer picks by any chance, or do you have details on how to make one?
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:14 pm

coderz wrote:
huxleypig wrote:The only truly universal disc detainer pick is my Silver Bullet. If you need to tension from the rear then you're out of luck using anything else. Indeed, the front-tension Chinesium pick won't work for most.

Huxleypig are you selling these disc detainer picks by any chance, or do you have details on how to make one?

I do sell them, yes. Shoot me a PM if you want more details. I will state now that they start from £250 though, and there is a waiting list of a few months. Good news is that it picks every non-Abloy disc detainer on the planet. A bold claim, I know, and one I am happy to make.
<<

coderz

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:48 am

huxleypig wrote:
coderz wrote:

I do sell them, yes. Shoot me a PM if you want more details. I will state now that they start from £250 though, and there is a waiting list of a few months. Good news is that it picks every non-Abloy disc detainer on the planet. A bold claim, I know, and one I am happy to make.

I might be very interested and message you about a purchase at some point here. I'm curious though, and this is likely from my lack of experience/knowledge in picking disc detainer locks, but I thought some of them HAVE to be picked by tensioning from the front or the rear?

If your pick tensions from the front, how can it open all the disc detainer locks that tension from the rear? Isn't yours front tensioning only? I'm confused and I appreciate the help as always.

Return to Lock Picking