FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

MCS Pick??

<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:13 pm

MCS Pick??

Ok, I've been looking at how this lock works and I think I've come up with a system to pick it.

Firstly you've got the magnets. Now I understand that each one can be in any one of 8 positions. So - if we have a key that's had its sides cut away (the sides where the magnets sit) and then you apply tension. What if you could then introduce one of the magnets into the lock (deepest position) which had an arm attached to it that allowed it to rotate? There aren't any false notches on the discs and so if you could find the disc that was 'binding' then rotate it until it was in the correct position then you could extract the key, 'secure' that magnet in that position and then repeat until every one of the 8 magnets were in position.

Or you could have the magnets set semi-permanently in their right positions and each one could have an arm with which to rotate it. Tougher to machine but still doable I reckon.

Then you have to tackle the 2 sidebars at the top and bottom. Once the discs are in place then you can position these sidebars. Not too difficult a task (relatively).

Possible or not?

It's definitely something I want to try BUT I don't have a spare £200! Just a spare key would do I suppose though...

**EDIT** The big question here is - are the discs in the Evva MCS arranged in a manner that would allow you to rotate a magnet inside the lock which would, in turn, rotate the discs? I believe so but I would need to test it out. Or, will the magnets on an MCS key behave the same no matter how they're rotated? I think not.

**EDIT 2!** I've found out that the following disc sized magnets will work - 4mm diameter x 0.5mm thickness. In fact tiny rectangles would do too. Set them up so they can rotate then get picking! Easier said than done. I've made a few enquiries about getting the right magnets. I figure they can't be too strong or they might interfere with the magnet on the other side. When they're at the right orientation they'll need to be able to be fixed there too.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:37 am

Re: MCS Pick??

some one will crack it oneday,and it will be a simple tool that does the job,ive also given this some thought after seeing it on the german koska forum,and they had no luck
and there damn clever.OR did they open it ?
without going too much into whats in the lock,a really good breakdown and understanding of the key and how it works,might reveal,or expose the secret.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:24 am

DSC_7682.jpg
After looking at this cutaway picture, i think your spot on hp.
The rotors,or discs have only 8 possible positions.
Another possibility the magnet in the key,maynot be a full magnet like we first think.
It may have a tiny magnet at one of the eight positions .That way they could make them all the same,and just alter the position when fixed in the key.
This would work nice for spinning a disc if that too had just one point or position,that was metal or magnetic.

This would be a simple test on the key,drop some small iron fillings on it,they would stick to the magnet only,revealing there positions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

barbarian

Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:16 am

Tobias gives a little bit of info about these locks in the book "Open in 30 Seconds"

Pages 50 - 54
<<

huxleypig

Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:17 pm

10ringo10 wrote:some one will crack it oneday,and it will be a simple tool that does the job,ive also given this some thought after seeing it on the german koska forum,and they had no luck
and there damn clever.OR did they open it ?
without going too much into whats in the lock,a really good breakdown and understanding of the key and how it works,might reveal,or expose the secret.

Have you got any idea what they failed with? I've come up with a concept to rotate and then fix the cylindrical magnets in place. I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Has anyone got any contact details of people who've looked at picking this lock in the past?
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:45 pm

That open in 30 sec,sounds a good read can anyone link me to it,if its out there.
koska forums going to be a good starting point hp. post something up. let us know
<<

barbarian

Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:51 pm

You need to find some little disc magnets where the field is different around the diameter. Some of them have north on one face and south on the opposite side.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:24 pm

evva mcs all notches lined up.jpg
evva mcs and key.jpg
These are better pics. mcs with 7 sliders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

huxleypig

Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:47 pm

barbarian wrote:You need to find some little disc magnets where the field is different around the diameter. Some of them have north on one face and south on the opposite side.

Yeah man, diametrically magnetised as opposed to axially. I'm working on it...
<<

huxleypig

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:19 pm

10ringo10 wrote:That open in 30 sec,sounds a good read can anyone link me to it,if its out there.
koska forums going to be a good starting point hp. post something up. let us know

Got a link for those forums mate, I can't find them?
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Here.....www.koksa.org.... dont know why i said koska.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm

10ringo10 wrote:Here.....www.koksa.org.... dont know why i said koska.

Damn, only thing I recognize there is "ImSchatten360". Really need to get back to learning some other languages.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Yes hes a member, the mcs key his 18.5 gramms you know,there clever.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 am

i had a look today,over a 1000 evva search,s and around 250 on mcs.
<<

huxleypig

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:58 am

Cheers Ringo, I've got in touch with them now. I think they're as much in the dark as us really though...
Next

Return to Lock Picking