FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What is your Method to the Madness?

<<

Turtle0Monkey

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:02 am

What is your Method to the Madness?

Do you prefer holding a lock or clamping it up in a vise?

Do you use a bottom of the key-way tension wrench more often than a top of the key-way? (When Applicable)

I personally enjoy holding a lock in my hand for my first time attempting to pick it and if I can use a top of the key-way wrench I will.
<<

gwarface

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Re: What is your Method to the Madness?

I hold the lock, normaly used bottom of keyway until i got a medeco, I had to make a top one out of z wrench it worked so i just got some proper ones this week and still getting used to them.
<<

Turtle0Monkey

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:04 pm

gwarface wrote:I hold the lock, normaly used bottom of keyway until i got a medeco, I had to make a top one out of z wrench it worked so i just got some proper ones this week and still getting used to them.

I just got some this past week and have been using them like crazy. I enjoy them, but some of the tension wrenches I have made for myself are hard to put down, because I am so use to them.
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Vise is preferred. Top of keyway 90+% of the time.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Depends on the type of lock. I prefer to pick them in their natural state. If it's a padlock I prefer it in my hand. Anything else I prefer in a vise. Half the time I'm recording the picking for my youtube channel so even if it's a padlock it's usually in a vise so I can keep perspective for the camera.

%98 of the time I use top of the keyway. I will only use bottom if I have to for some reason. Like to take up some of the room in the bottom of the keyway or if I for some reason can't fit it in the top.

Also I usually start at the back of the lock and use very light tension then increase it if needed. I prefer a pry bar style tension wrench, and hate bendy noodle tension wrenches. Also don't like sparrows since they are bendy noodles and poor quality steel.
<<

Turtle0Monkey

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Very insightful information there! I have made most of my wrenches slim and wide from Windshield Wiper blades. I added a bend curve to them to give me a little bit more of a feel to the pressure I am adding. Not sure if it helps or not, but I like them. Not noodle either.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:09 am

Vice 100%, TOK 90%. BOK is desperation only.
<<

madsamurai

Post Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:00 am

I generally like padlocks in my hand, but pick everything else on a vise. Almost always ToK for picking except for certain keyways where it won't work, BoK for raking (because it'll usually pull my ToK wrench out and drop it on the floor) or where there's very small access to the top of the keyway and pins. Prefer my home-brew music wire tension wrenches or pry bars, but I have a selection of others I occasionally fall back on when those don't fit quite right. I use the same technique as WestCoastPicks: start in the back and start light and gradually increase.
<<

insatiableOne

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:31 am

I am trying to learn TOK but it is difficult to use in hand. Started off with mortise locks in a stand now graduating up in difficulty with padlocks. Pick them mostly at work so using a vise might get looked down upon, although can get away with picking in hand.

My best efforts are bottom of keyway with modified tension wrenches. Also I ignored the directions given as working from the first pin to the back is my successful way. Mostly use extreme light tension, except on ones that make you crank on them to get any pins set.
<<

Josephus

Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:53 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:Vise is preferred. Top of keyway 90+% of the time.

Vice is preferred. Top shelf as often as I can manage.

Return to Lock Picking