FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Featured on Hackaday

<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:22 am

Featured on Hackaday

http://hackaday.com/2016/12/12/modify-locks-to-baffle-burglars/

Bosnianbill video featured on Hackaday with a name drop to Rallock67 :)

I personally find the comments section to be more fun than the articles most of the time.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:32 pm

Re: Featured on Hackaday

femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Josephus

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:41 pm

"Burglars don't bother to pick locks." "Why would someone steal when they can be a locksmith?" etc. and with that out of the way...

Many years ago at one construction site the crew had to get some material 16 ft long into a condo that had angles and stairs making anything over 10 impossible. We just rough measured to get between studs, took off the siding and tyvek, and used a circular saw. When we were done the hole was patched and, so long as nobody opened up the wall, no trace of what we did could be found. After that success we started getting into many places the same way.

Since we looked the part no police were called, no complaints.

Seems kinda silly to think of a thief would bother learning and attacking a lock instead of anywhere else with basic tools.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:45 pm

I have a question about Murphy balls to prevent picking - could you potentially do something similar with the sidebar of a lock?
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:50 pm

I've always taken some issue with the notion that criminals don't pick locks. If I'm recalling FBI crime stats correctly, something like 80-85% of residential break-ins are forced entry, and about 10% are entry through an unsecured door or window. That leaves a small-but-not-insignificant percentage of residential burglaries committed by surreptitious/covert means, including lock picking.

I'm 100% on board with the assertion that lockpicking is an extremely unusual MO for a burglar, but it's far from unheard of.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:54 am

Robotnik wrote:I've always taken some issue with the notion that criminals don't pick locks. If I'm recalling FBI crime stats correctly, something like 80-85% of residential break-ins are forced entry, and about 10% are entry through an unsecured door or window. That leaves a small-but-not-insignificant percentage of residential burglaries committed by surreptitious/covert means, including lock picking.

I'm 100% on board with the assertion that lockpicking is an extremely unusual MO for a burglar, but it's far from unheard of.

This is very true. I did a talk at EMF camp this year and a section of it was devoted to this very subject. It is very hard to say just how many thefts are committed via lockpicking because in all but the most high profile of cases, the lock will not get forensically examined. The age-old piece of advice, if you come home and there is no sign of forced entry then make some signs so the insurance company don't renege on the deal. How many times does that play out?

Also, there is the fact that because lockpicking is covert then it has to be obvious that a theft has taken place at all. And so many thefts take a long time to get noticed, if at all.

About the OP - the hackaday article say Bill is "an accomplished and skilled locksmith". I beg to differ, he knows jack shit, has only been picking for maybe 3 years is it? It really winds me up when I see bozo's get lionised. The list is huge.
<<

mrdeus

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:48 am

huxleypig wrote:the hackaday article say Bill is "an accomplished and skilled locksmith". I beg to differ, he knows jack shit, has only been picking for maybe 3 years is it? It really winds me up when I see bozo's get lionised. The list is huge.

He's no locksmith and has never claimed to be, as far as I know. Perhaps I'm too much of a noob to understand, but your criticism of him and his picking know-how (or lack thereof) seems harsh to me. If he's such a "bozo", then you must warn his viewers before they buy into his misinformation :shock:
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:38 am

mrdeus wrote:
huxleypig wrote:the hackaday article say Bill is "an accomplished and skilled locksmith". I beg to differ, he knows jack shit, has only been picking for maybe 3 years is it? It really winds me up when I see bozo's get lionised. The list is huge.

He's no locksmith and has never claimed to be, as far as I know. Perhaps I'm too much of a noob to understand, but your criticism of him and his picking know-how (or lack thereof) seems harsh to me. If he's such a "bozo", then you must warn his viewers before they buy into his misinformation :shock:

The problem is his army of fellow noobs (the Tribe is it?) the who think he is some sort of deity. I have had the displeasure of getting trolled by some of his follwers because Bill spouted some absolute bullshit about lock x or lock y and everyone who watches him takes it as gospel. I get accused of being a liar and a fraud and <insert dishonest name here> because Bill don't know shit .

Don't get me wrong, I have tried telling his followers that he talks shit but...it's Bill, he knows everything, he HAS to be right.
<<

Josephus

Post Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Nobody really knows. That leftover category in the FBI stats is probably a catchall "other" bucket, which would include unknown means or simply being allowed in.

At some point I recall Marc Tobias saying something along the lines that out of every 1000 cases he consults on, maybe a few truly involve lockpicking and those are often locksmiths committing insurance fraud. Apparently the majority of cases where lock forensics are brought in, people damage the lock by putting screwdrivers in the keyway in attempt to make it appear picked from a layman's perspective.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:17 pm

There have been some residential burglaries in Sweden where the 7/9 lever locks commonly used as a secondary lock have been picked. In the confirmed cases (caught red-handed / tools left behind when getting interrupted) they have used crude homemade Hobbs picks. Typically after bypassing the primary lock.

However I'd think the real lockpicking threat is when you don't necessarily know something has happened immediately afterwards - doesn't even have to be something like high-end industrial espionage for that to be relevant.

Return to Lock Picking