FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

left handed lock picker needs help

<<

shinobi_2010

Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 am

left handed lock picker needs help

Hi, I'm left handed and I consider myself a beginner lock picker. Recently, I started using more complex locks. Since then, I'm having troubles with tensioning, grips (for padlocks) and general manipulations of the picks. I would like to know what are the best and most effective techniques for picking locks for a southpaw. What grips do you use the most and how do you apply effective tension. Thanks a lot and have a good day.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:54 am

Re: left handed lock picker needs help

Doesn't matter which hand you use: don't think too much about that.
I use my index finger or my thumb to apply tension, depending on the direction I want to turn.

Cheers :)
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:10 am

It's the same as with girls - doesn't matter what hand you use, as long as you know what you are doing :P

Cheers from a leftie.
<<

Josephus

Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:51 am

Yeah whatever works. I am right handed but sometimes switch, pick upside down, use tensioners upside down like a peterson prybar in the bottom of the keyway (works great for yales), weird grips on oddly mounted locks or wedged padlocks where whatever digit can reach and hold the tensioner does the job.

You can always get a vice if you haven't already.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:08 am

Everyone above is very right. When I started picking I didnt have much luck on harder locks so right away I started to question why and figured its being left handed and that I need some special tension tools, found a few videos on youtube of left handed tension tools and started to draw out my own tension but let me tell you it was all a waste of my time. Im glad I didnt actually waste more time in actually making those special tools I planned too. Having hard times with locks is normal especially if your a beginner. Its all part of the most important trick in lockpicking which is practice. Clear your head of all the junk thoughts and just keep practicing, sooner or later those hard locks will become easy. I also have to add that a vise is very very helpful and more comfortable. Good luck.
<<

norwoodgolf

Familiar Face

Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:43 am

Sometimes I wish I was left handed. Like when there is a wall to the left of the door and the locks are mounted on the left side of the door. When it's like that AND the locks are installed upside down I feel like I need to hang from a cross bar using those gravity boots just like a bat.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:37 pm

I'm also a left handed picker. The only thing you need to do is learn different tension grips. For padlocks, I like to wrap my thumb and middle finger around the padlock body and use the side of my index finger to push the tensioner clockwise. You just have to practice the various grips in different positions. Find what works for you and keep doing it. Eventually you'll zero in on your own technique. You don't need any "left handed" tension tools at all.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

shinobi_2010

Post Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:02 pm

thanks a lot for the tips, i'll keep practicing. I'll experiment with different grips too. I thought using the thumb wasn't too good for tensioning and I don't get a lot of feedback when using the side of my index, but I think it's a matter of fine tuning... again, thanks a lot.

Return to Lock Picking