FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kensington Microsaver Tubular anti pick feature?

<<

dontlook

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:25 pm

Kensington Microsaver Tubular anti pick feature?

So I've picked one of these before and it wasn't easy before. This time I forgot to extend the finger in front of the post past the end the main pole on the turner tool. The core turned one position and locked up. I noticed that there is a bit of red paint now where the key would line up and insert. I didn't see this before and it appears to only be the first single position off.

Anyone seen this before? Is it normal or a sign that they have something in the lock that I tripped?
<<

plugspin

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:26 am

Re: Kensington Microsaver Tubular anti pick feature?

This is normal for tubular locks. They lock up at each position as the holes line up with the next set of pins if there is nothing holding the pins as the center rotates. That is half of why an impressioning tool works easy on these.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:57 pm

Lol, you ruined it! You fell into their trap (pin). The call it the Hidden Pin TM Technology. Try picking out of this position, you will never do it conventionally. That is why it is coloured red, it is a tamper evident lock. If someone tries to pick it then the user will know when they return...they won't be able to unlock their laptop but they'll know!

I can't say much more about it at the moment but if you want to know how to fix your lock shoot me a PM.

In fact, Kensington have done two more revisions since this lock, adding 'security features' as they went. Unfortunately, it still sucks.
<<

dontlook

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:56 pm

Fixed! It had to be picked back. The proper key works but in my experimenting something got in to the lock that shouldn't be there. It is sometimes a bit crunchy with the proper key.

Return to Lock Picking