Thank you so much for such a fantastic reply, WestCoast! I also realized, I didn't post a picture to my post... which certainly may have helped, haha. I'm definitely looking forward to sending them off to get picked, just want to have something worthwhile for them to do!
I've moved onto a second lock, this time six pins, with some more "alien technology" as BosnianBill puts it.
The only thing I changed from the lock in this picture, was the top pin in position 6—I had some issues with the whole core seizing up during normal usage. Bottom-pin 1 is a pin-in-pin type deal, where the top-bottom (so to speak) pin has a single serration to catch on the threading of the core's chamber. The top pin is a reduced diameter serrated—almost like a mushroom that's been serrated. Of other interest is the top-pin in the fourth position, which is another pin-in-pin deal, but a different style than pin 1. It goes all the way through, with a plunger-like action. The outer pin is serrated to catch on the core's serrations. Everything else is a cross between spools, serrated, and anything in between. Pin 6 is a drunken spool, but as I said before, I changed the top pin in that stack to be more standard.