FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Save that bricked 7x7!

<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:50 pm

Save that bricked 7x7!

So recently I lent out a Mul-t-lock 7x7 by garrison to a friend. He mannaged to pick it, and proud of himself he took out the core for a better look.
We've all been there. Well Unknown to him, the plug has 5 holes 1/4 way in the clockwise direction for finger or defeater pins (have heard them called a few different things). So with the core out, and key in the plug, he turned the core 1/4 turn clockwise and *click* 5 of the driver pins fell down in to the holes in the plug.

With no way to remove the key, and no way to turn the core back, there was no way to access the pins. So there the lock sat, in a bag for a week or so.
I bought another 7x7 (the newest one on my channel) and forgot about it. Well was talking it over with some locksmith friends of mine, they told me it's an on going gag they have, to see how many 7x7 cores each guy has bricked. lol I think The record is 5.

Well today I solved the problem the only way I could think of. It's a sad day, but it was a paper weight before, so I guess it's a good thing!
With it being so common for people working on 7x7's I thought I'd share my "fix"

mlf1.jpg

Yup, I took it to the grinder :(
It's the only thing I could do. I salvaged Everything except 2 springs.

The core is bitted, then capped with hardened steel ball bearings. So drilling them out wasn't an option. I can't say if a file would work, or just slide alone the top of the bearings. But the grinder Eats everything. I only went down as far as I had to, but it was still 1/4 inch down. I may have to use shorter springs, shorter driver pins or a combo of the two, but there is still plenty of room in the bible. Going to thread and grub screw to make for easy re pinning.

I also payed special attention to the front of the core, and the back threaded portion of the core. The threads are fully intact, and the front of the core is unmarked. Inside the lock, it looks new. I wouldn't use this lock as a security device anymore, but it is now a fully functioning 7x7 that looks good! Still great for picking, and now I can thread the bible! lol

mlf.jpg

Anyways, hopes this helps someone. I was glad to get this lock operational again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Save that bricked 7x7!

I've had this happen to me at least a dozen times with Mul-T-Lock cylinders. I've gotten out of it every time buy putting the cylinder upside down and rapping it on the vise or table effectively bumping it and turning the key at the same time.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:44 pm

Re: Save that bricked 7x7!

mdc5150 wrote:I've had this happen to me at least a dozen times with Mul-T-Lock cylinders. I've gotten out of it every time buy putting the cylinder upside down and rapping it on the vise or table effectively bumping it and turning the key at the same time.

Wow. Lucky. I tried for an hour straight. Heh. Guess I should have kept trying. Lol.

Return to Lock Picking