FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Half Euro to KiK mod

<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 10, 2016 12:46 pm

Half Euro to KiK mod

So I was eyeballing a few things on my bench and though I'd try something.

euroconv2.jpg

I used a dimple style euro lock (one of those low price ebay ones) 7 pin, snapped it in half and filed down the bible till it fit in to the American KIK adapter. I noted the orientation of the KIK to American Cam adapter, and soldered it on to the back of the plug and cleaned it up with a file. Once it all fit nice, I cleaned it all up, shortened the springs, re pinned it, and capped it.

euroconv1.jpg

All in all it works great! But I don't like depending on solder to join the plug to the cam adapter. In the future, I will file out an adapter. I think this is a great way to mod these locks. Next I want to try something more complex, sliders or something. All there is left for me to do with this core is spin the pins to spool and serrated, as they come standard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 10, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: Half Euro to KiK mod

Nice idea and well done. Something to add to my "Try It" list.
Steve
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed May 11, 2016 1:22 am

That's an impressive modification!

As you already said, solder is the weak point of this lock now, but as a demo it works great.
If you can find a longer plug, it would be quite easy to file it to shape.

Cheers :)
<<

NCFXSTI

Post Wed May 11, 2016 3:15 am

I'm still uber-noob here, what would keep you from using drill/tap to fit the cam to the euro? maybe solder enough to hold it in place, then drill and tap chamfer/countersink a recess for a small machine screw for clearance?
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 11, 2016 10:22 am

NCFXSTI wrote:I'm still uber-noob here, what would keep you from using drill/tap to fit the cam to the euro? maybe solder enough to hold it in place, then drill and tap chamfer/countersink a recess for a small machine screw for clearance?

Don't understand what you mean... the half euro is more than twice the size of a kik. The cores are the same size but one has 5 pins the other has 7 they don't even come close to matching up in eacothers bibles. If you're talking about the adapter, there is no room for threads on the plug as it is a 7 pin the pins go right to the end. So there is no room for the nut that holds the cam adapter to the core. But give it a shot. I'm just going to file out a free floating adapter.
<<

NCFXSTI

Post Fri May 13, 2016 12:45 am

WestCoastPicks wrote:
NCFXSTI wrote:I'm still uber-noob here, what would keep you from using drill/tap to fit the cam to the euro? maybe solder enough to hold it in place, then drill and tap chamfer/countersink a recess for a small machine screw for clearance?

Don't understand what you mean... the half euro is more than twice the size of a kik. The cores are the same size but one has 5 pins the other has 7 they don't even come close to matching up in eacothers bibles. If you're talking about the adapter, there is no room for threads on the plug as it is a 7 pin the pins go right to the end. So there is no room for the nut that holds the cam adapter to the core. But give it a shot. I'm just going to file out a free floating adapter.

That's what i was asking, if there was room to thread the back end of the plug . Thanks :)
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 13, 2016 10:33 am

NCFXSTI wrote:
WestCoastPicks wrote:

That's what i was asking, if there was room to thread the back end of the plug . Thanks :)

Maybe for 2 or 3 threads. But cause of the rounded nature of the end of euro plugs they wouldn't be very deep. Then you would still have to solder it in to make sure it doesn't back off the threads or even more likely just slip when you go to turn it cause there is no pin like there is in a kik.

I'm thinking you can just file out an adapter. The quarter circle on top a slot on the bottom. That way it can free float between the two. No solder and no chance of brick in the lock. :smile:

Return to Lock Picking