FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Pin configuration

<<

Geir

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:18 am

Pin configuration

So, I was re configuring a lock and one of the pins jumped out before I could see how it was seated.
Anyone feel like enlightening me??

This way?
IMG_0447.JPG

Or this way?
IMG_0448.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:31 am

Re: Pin configuration

2nd one
<<

Geir

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:37 am

Whew, put it in right then :)
<<

aeporia

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:47 am

Hint: (applies to pretty much all security pins and their pinning) for a fun exercise (and something I do when building challenge locks) put all key pins into the core, and then stack the security driver pins on top — you now have the key pins and drivers sitting just how they would in the lock’s neutral/locked state (sans the extra pressure from each stack’s springs). Now look where each, say spool, sits — if it’s paired key pin is a really short key pin then the spool will sit deeper in the core, which will pick differently compared to a spool that is sitting atop a really tall key pin — there might only be a mm or two in order to reach the shear line.

If the double-spool you had pictured above were sitting on top of medium–high cut pin it’s quite likely that if it were installed as in picture #1 the spooled sections of the pin would never come into play, as it would never even sit in the core in the first place, effectively turning it into a standard.

Image example — note the “spool” driver in position #6, compared to the spool in #1:

IMG_7535.jpg

and now note how they sit on their respective key pins — #1 key pin is really tall; if I were to put spool #6 in position #1 I’d waste the entire top half of it, as it would sit above the shear line in the locked state:

IMG_7540.jpg

(:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Lock Picking