FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

correct method of using wafer lock picks

<<

Neilau

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:26 pm

correct method of using wafer lock picks

What is the correct method of using wafer lock picks such as

wafer picks.jpg

Is it necessary to use a torsion tool as well? Is only one side used in opening (making each pick two picks) or are both sides necessary?

I have a Duo and have seen it mentioned here that these picks are used to open them.

All other wafer locks that I have opened have just been cheap ones and I have opened then, by raking with a half diamond. I know the Duo is a Hi Sec lock and that it needs a LOT more than a half diamond but I don’t know the correct technique for using these picks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

innerpicked

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:40 am

Re: correct method of using wafer lock picks

The DUO has a side bitting, which these picks are not designed to open.
http://www.lockwiki.com/index.php/Duo
(21:42:51) PhoneMan: restraints? the GF and I do those
(21:42:59) PhoneMan: wait, um...
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks innerpicked.

I missed the side bitting as the key for the one that I have has only one "bitting cut" (?)

I thought it was a single side pin or something.

Any tips - beside having four hands. :D

I've been meaning to get Pullford's book but its a bit expensive and now with the exchange rate a bit more too expensive.

Thanks again.

duo1.jpg

duo2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:49 pm

One method of using double sided wafer picks

On a regular double sided wafer lock, one technique for using these picks is to hold the pick loosely between finger and thumb.
Apply very gentle turning tension (instead of using a tension wrench) while rocking the pick like a jiggler.
Depending on how deep the keyway is you can also slide the pick in and out a little as you jiggle to make sure you hit all the wafers.
If it doesn't open after a little while, take it out and flip it over and try it the other way up.
Keep doing that until you've tried all 8 options (4 picks X 2 ways up), or until it opens.

I have mixed feelings about these picks. I keep a shorty set of them on my EDC-entry-keyring since they work quickly a lot of the time. However, since you're using the pick as both a jiggler and tension wrench, and the tines of the pick are so small, they're very easy to bend if you're not careful. Sometimes they can open a wafer lock pretty quickly, but it also means having to carry yet one more tool for locks that can also be opened with single-pin-picking if you don't want to buy or carry extra tools.

If you try them and like them, Southern Specialties makes a keyring version of these picks which are shorter and have a hole for the ring to make carrying them easier. They also come with a little tension wrench you can use with them to reduce the chances of bending them, but it seems only a few keyways can accomodate both the pick and wrench and still let you use a proper, gentle jiggling motion.

As for the DUO lock, I haven't tried picking one but someone I know who has picked them told me he just SPPs them with a half diamond.
<<

HT4

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:41 pm

Duos are very, very tough. I have a few of them and have never opened one. If someone has a system, I'd be very interested to learn.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:51 pm

HT4 wrote:Duos are very, very tough. I have a few of them and have never opened one. If someone has a system, I'd be very interested to learn.
Personally I don't think they are that difficult. Use a short hook. Sometimes a light to see where the tumblers are resting. Picking is the same as other wafer locks when SPP, find the binding one and move it..
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:25 pm

i just got a set of those picks from sparrows over the weekend... first session i popped open my parking meter's coin jar. jeff sent me an elevator cam lock I'm gonna try them on next.

seems to be just stick it in and jiggle a bit with some turning tension and i got it! :)
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:50 pm

I have an American H10 padlock which has the mechanism the picks pictured are designed for and one of the picks opens the lock I have just as easily as inserting the real key and just turning it. I was impressed at how easy they were to use and only wish I had more American double sided wafer locks to play with!

Squelchtone
<<

HT4

Post Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:25 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:
HT4 wrote:Duos are very, very tough. I have a few of them and have never opened one. If someone has a system, I'd be very interested to learn.
Personally I don't think they are that difficult. Use a short hook. Sometimes a light to see where the tumblers are resting. Picking is the same as other wafer locks when SPP, find the binding one and move it..

Your comment spurred me to pick up a duo tonight and give it a shot... Popped right open in a few minutes. Not sure what I'm doing different from my previous attempts, but I'm coming around to your way of thinking. Just posted a YT video picking one.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos

Return to Lock Picking