FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Tensioning a tubular lock?

<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Tensioning a tubular lock?

I bought this cool tubular lock from uklockpickers after seeing that picking vid on YT with that custom tension tool. Thing is, this lock doesn't have the notch in the centre so I can't tension it that way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Zw4JI4 ... re=related

The inner plug and key are hexagonal in shape so I was gonna grind some metal off one key where the metal usually presses the pins down, about 8mm allowing it to still grip the corners of the hexagon, but giving me enough room to get a pick in there. / Thinking about it now, it's gonna be a bitch to get a pick in with the bulk of the key in the way, maybe slice the end of the key off/ drill through/ attach bar for tension?

Good idea or am I gonna just wreck a key?

Anyone got any better ideas? ...and not to buy a tubular pick ;)

...pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GutterClown

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:56 pm

Re: Tensioning a tubular lock?

Cut the key like that and it will flare out, and be a waste of time. It's brass man, don't expect wonders.

I'd try modifying the original tubular tention wrench idea, just make it so tight that it will fit over one of the flat spots, but will bind as soon as you turn. Might take some careful filing.
<<

Solid

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:24 pm

These are the picks for them locks

<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:00 pm

Yeah but that's no fun.

I made a tension tool that works but when I press down on the pins I get nothing. No click, no binding, nothing? I am just going off that youtube vid and have no knowledge of the workings of a tubular lock... which would help! :oops: Don't know what to do next?

Pics!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GutterClown

Post Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:05 am

Just by the few standard tubular locks I've had to pick with a tention wrench, they need heaps of torque to pick. I don't know if you'll get enough with that wrench. you may need to make one that engages opposing flats.

I've never had to pick one with a TW so it may work, I don't know.
<<

cool-arrow

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:31 am

Another thing that sucks is that you have to keep picking it over and over until it turns around enough to open the lock.

Return to Lock Picking