FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

legality of flying with picks

<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:26 pm

legality of flying with picks

hello to all i was wandering if you can fly with picks or not and if so are there any requirements or steps that can be taken to make things go smoothly through security any help is much appreciated. ps sorry if this is in the area was not sure where to post this.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: legality of flying with picks

i recall an incident where a member here had his 7 pin tubular lock pick confiscated by tsa. Its a nono to carry them on you. ever since the terrorists attack of 9/11, cockpits are locked. flying with them may signal that you are a threat to security. if i were you, i'd mail them to yourself some how.
<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:42 pm

what about checked baggage?
<<

nhoj_yelbom

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:46 pm

i have carried them on, but checked baggage is even better.
Wanted TrioVing, ASSA, BiLock, Environmental Locks and Keys, Ingersoll
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Since I work at an airport I will go ask the TSA. I was recently told by them that ANY tools under 7" long were allowed. The problem with the rules is that they are left to interpret a lot of it. They will err to the safe side if they are unsure. And there is no time to mess with them if you're getting on an airplane. I'll get back with an answer by tomorrow (Tues. Nov. 15).
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

spandexwarrior

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 pm

I fly at least twice a week and I've never had a problem with my rather large pick set. If I get a question about what they are, I simply state that they are non-edged tools under 7" in length. That makes them completely legit per their rules.

-Brian
<<

barbarian

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:08 am

Should be OK. They might cause delays while you argue.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... items.shtm
<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:53 pm

thanks for the info everyone i thought id better ask before i go and lose all my picks.now i can fly in confidence :D .
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:11 pm

I just came from a consult with the TSA. They said there is no SPECIFIC rule about lock picks. While the Cincinnati Airport would consider them tools ( under 7" and no sharpened edge ), and as such have no reservations about allowing them, it is up to the local jurisdiction to make that decision. All agreed that checked baggage is the best place for them to avoid all conflicts. i talked with 4 agents to get the "big picture" version, not just one person. Have a great trip and enjoy your flight.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:37 pm

I was the one that had the 7 pin tubular pick taken from tsa. it was in a jacket pocket on my carry on and was not suppose to be there. I always take picks with me when i travel i just put them under the plane and have never had any problems. now I was in green bay, wi when they took my tubular pick, they would have given it back to me if i would have been in Florida which is were i was flying to but in Wisconsin it is illegal to even carry lock picks so i could have been arrested, at that time i decided to let them take the pick and they let me fly to Florida, the picks that in my luggage under the plan made it to Florida with no problem. Anyway shot out to CHRIS for hooking me up with another one for a good price. Long story short if your going to take your picks on a plane, put them under the plane.
<<

arielschoenberg

Post Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:07 pm

mastersmith wrote:I just came from a consult with the TSA. They said there is no SPECIFIC rule about lock picks. While the Cincinnati Airport would consider them tools ( under 7" and no sharpened edge ), and as such have no reservations about allowing them, it is up to the local jurisdiction to make that decision. All agreed that checked baggage is the best place for them to avoid all conflicts. i talked with 4 agents to get the "big picture" version, not just one person. Have a great trip and enjoy your flight.

:agree:
Found this thread in the wake of all this TSA nonsense. But when it comes to the the agents choice to do something, this might happen. Crazy that all this TSA craziness and nonsense is happening at the same time that these keys are floating around the internet! Just junk locks. Who even needs to bring lock picks when you can 3d print a plastic bump key to all the locks you are going to encounter? Bring some bobby pins and your undetectable plastic keys and you should be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Wonder if they will change their position on lock picks because of all this media attention on their security. I mean their locks are in the media, like everywhere. I expect that there will be a specific rule coming soon. If there isn't...it might be the first time that an organization is not irrationally reactionary.

:soldier: :padlock: :axeem: :wgaf:

Return to Lock Picking