FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

need some advise

<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:25 pm

need some advise

Ok im headed in to my fifth week of lock picking and have come to some revelations regarding my skill level. I started with the 4 pin master locks, then off to a 5pin cisa with 2 spools, then off to a american series 20. I became so frustrated with the 20 that it was no longer fun. I realized that ive jumped a step in my picking evolution. So im looking for something to fill the gap in between the cisa and the american 20. any sugestions?
<<

Josephus

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:41 am

Re: need some advise

Are you repinning? Repin and redo locks you can tackle with security pins. If you already did, try out more kinds of locks. Memorization or brand-affinity can be a pitfall. There is the classical way to deal with new challenges too: take pinstacks out and work your way back to full.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:44 am

Any of the brass padlocks from Master or Brinks are good for some more spool work.

Here's a 140... viewtopic.php?p=40275#p40275
Or Ace padlocks too... viewtopic.php?p=68726#p68726
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Josephus wrote:Are you repinning? Repin and redo locks you can tackle with security pins. If you already did, try out more kinds of locks. Memorization or brand-affinity can be a pitfall. There is the classical way to deal with new challenges too: take pinstacks out and work your way back to full.

I've been considering pinning my own locks. Im on the lookout for and apk-1 but have not found a good source. I agree with the memorization pitfall so ive been trying to pick up a new brand/model as often as i can.
<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:50 pm

Oldfast wrote:Any of the brass padlocks from Master or Brinks are good for some more spool work.

Here's a 140... https://ssl.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?p=40275#p40275
Or Ace padlocks too... https://ssl.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?p=68726#p68726

Cool thread, I found a 140 at TSC for the other day ill have to give it a shot.
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi Random.

You say that you have been picking for 5 weeks and have mastered a couple of locks then got stuck.

Picking is not a linear progression. Just because you have picked one brand of lock does not mean they you have mastered all that brand or model. Every lock is different. Some Masters are easy but others can be very difficult.

Practice on as many different locks as you can get your hands on, even locks of the same brand. Some Chinese locks can be very difficult because of sloppy manufacture others because they are well made.

You have to develop a “feel” and that only comes with practice. Try using different picks to get locks that you have already opened. Try using TOK and BOK torsion etc. Look for locks with difficult bitting.

Get as many locks as you can and open them over and over. Trying to “hear” what the lock is telling you and develop that feel.

The only sure way to master this skill is practice.

If you find that you are getting frustrated with one lock. Put it away for a week or so then come back to it.

Remember, there will always be locks that you won’t be able open for quite some time (if ever).

All of us here have a “Naughty box” that have real beasts in them.

The suggestion to get some 140s is a good one. They are cheap and will teach you a lot. Each one will have its own character and will teach you something.

Happy picking. :D
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

vde

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:30 pm

Morning,
If you want to get a feeling for spools and also have a good training lock I would suggest abus 72/40 padlock. Reason is because you can gut it and move the pins around. Also you can start with 4 pins and add to 6.

Cheers
vde
Have fun with my channel - VDE on YouTube
<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:11 pm

All great advise thanks guys.

Return to Lock Picking