FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Screwed up an American 5200.

<<

monkeypunch

Post Wed May 27, 2015 9:53 am

Screwed up an American 5200.

Hello, all:

I was doing a bit of picking today on a 5200 American. Got it opened and when I closed it up, I turned the core the wrong way and now can't get the key in to reset it, any tips on how to remedy this?
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed May 27, 2015 9:55 am

Re: Screwed up an American 5200.

you may have to drill the security nut out and then the plate and cylinder will drop out.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 27, 2015 10:23 am

Can you upload a picture of how it looks now? If its stuck 180 degrees from where it should be then the drivers dropped into the keyway so just lift them all up and turn.
<<

monkeypunch

Post Wed May 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Can you upload a picture of how it looks now? If its stuck 180 degrees from where it should be then the drivers dropped into the keyway so just lift them all up and turn.

Exactly what you described. I've had this happen before on another 5200 and fixed it. This one just doesn't want to go. I can push all the driver pins down and get what feels like a false set, but it will only turn so far...

<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Take a tension tool, wiper insert, back of a half diamond; something like that. Insert it into the normal bottom of the keyway and press the driver pins (not the key pins) upward. Basically, as the keyway is rotated 180, the driver pins have dropped slightly into the milling in the plug and trapped it. Pushing the drivers up will leave the plug free to rotate. That's what Papa Gleb was talking about. Good luck!

EDIT: Re-read your post, seems like you're on the right track. With the force required to operate some 5200s, may be a good idea to employ a secondary tensioner at the TOK position to apply additional rotational force if needed. I've gotten some 5200s out of whack before (picked them ccw), and ended up having to use this technique. Also, make sure the key pins aren't dropping out through the re-pinning holes at the bottom of the shell and blocking the plug while you're doing this. Again, good luck.
Last edited by Robotnik on Wed May 27, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 27, 2015 2:40 pm

monkeypunch wrote:I can push all the driver pins down and get what feels like a false set, but it will only turn so far...

Ar you sure all the driver pins are in there ? Sounds to me like you may have a spring that has jumped into the core. You can usually shear them with enough force , if you can't put them back where the belong.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 27, 2015 2:51 pm

You can even see the drive pin sticking from the bottom of the keyway.

Another issue I just realized. Those cores have holes in the bible for the core to be easily rekeyed without having the disassemble it. 6 holes are drilled on the bottom so you turn the key 180 and with the holes dump out all the old pins then swap keys and repin it. If you wiggled this thing enough then maybe something is also stuck in the holes and the drivers are in the plug
<<

monkeypunch

Post Wed May 27, 2015 3:21 pm

Got it! One of the driver pins was sticking out slightly it seems. I just raked it a few times and success :D

Thanks guys.
<<

monkeypunch

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:56 pm

Okay...I've got the same problem again, this time with a Series 200 with the same 5200 series keyway. This time the key is stuck in the keyway and it is in that same 180 degree position. Any ideas???
<<

l0ckcr4ck3r

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:44 pm

I'm tying to figure out how you managed to do that with the key in there... it shouldn't be possible!!!?? Is the core not installed in the padlock or is the key not fully inserted? if the key is only in part way... you may have to force it or drill the nut out the end of the plate.
<<

monkeypunch

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:07 pm

I unlocked it as per normal and as it is key retaining shut it and turned the key, but it kept turning past its usual spot and is now stuck. I can feel it when I tug up on it, it's hang up on the pins. I can get it out for what feels like two pins and then bam stuck :???:

Return to Lock Picking