FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

[Help] KLOM 31-Piece Set

<<

xLockPickerx

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:12 am

[Help] KLOM 31-Piece Set

Hey, I just ordered the KLOM 31-Piece Set.

But when I browse through the tutorials, I don't understand much about it.. I just wanna open normal doors I guess?..

So if anyone has a good tutorial on how to open a normal door lock, like for my home (lol xD) please reply with it :s

Thanks in advance,
- xLockPickerx
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: [Help] KLOM 31-Piece Set

Door lock, normal padlock, car lock, etc. These are phrases to avoid when asking for help picking a certain type of lock, because they are not specific enough. Photos, brand names, even specific lock type is much better.

You're rush to open doors as opposed to locks is the backwards way to approach picking. If you do not have the patience to focus on picking the lock because you are focused solely on it opening, then you won't be very successful. If you don't have the patience to browse the tutorials section for 10 mins and find every basic picking method you need, then I'd say you need to work on that, or you'll have 31 bent Klom picks in no time.

First beginner's tutorial I clicked on:
http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=630
By uklockpicker

Tutorial in video form:
http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=563
HallisChalmers

Leave the lock on your home alone and buy a lock solely for picking. You're already in for a Klom set, so it isn't like another 10 bucks is going to kill you. It's alot easier to take apart your practice lock at your bench than it is to pry the hardware off your front door and take it to your work area. Take more time to read the tutorials section, and have fun with your new kit.

-ToolyMcgee
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:03 pm

xLockPickerx wrote:Hey, I just ordered the KLOM 31-Piece Set.

But when I browse through the tutorials, I don't understand much about it.. I just wanna open normal doors I guess?..

Well, "normal" is a subjective term. You really need to sit down and study the different types of locks out there and the multitude of key systems used. Locks are locks - whether they are on a door, a car, or a padlock.

But if you can learn the basic operating principles of each type of lock - be it pin tumbler, wafer, dimple or lever, you will advance much further in your practical knowledge.

Once you've had a chance to practice on a lock system, then try something new. For example, I would suggest that you begin with a Master 3, then a 5. Then move to a Brinks medium security - and then transition to higher security levels. Move on to an American 1105, then a Yale.

Then, once you think you can open any lock out there - stop in your tracks and slap yourself across the face. Hard. You're getting cocky.

"Real Life" will consistently beat the hell out of cockiness on any given day.

Practice, read, and watch all you can. Be prepared to accept the cruel fact that you will never know all that there is to know in life - let alone lock picking.

We've got a lot of really smart people here on this board that can help you out, as long as you expend some effort on your part.

If you are a YouTuber, go look at Wizwazzle's videos. Once you'e seen all 467 of his videos...you'll realize that this hobby takes a huge amount of patience, concentration, and spatial thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wizwazzle

Good luck!
<<

GutterClown

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:25 am

To open your normal house lock, you'll need a tennis ball with a hole cut in it. Make sure the hole is small, because the more air pressure you can get the better.

Place the hole in the ball against the face of the lock, and push as hard and as fast as you can. The door will open.
If it doesn't, try again a little harder.
<<

Kai

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:10 pm

GutterClown wrote:To open your normal house lock, you'll need a tennis ball with a hole cut in it. Make sure the hole is small, because the more air pressure you can get the better.

Place the hole in the ball against the face of the lock, and push as hard and as fast as you can. The door will open.
If it doesn't, try again a little harder.

This seemed like a great idea. So I set out to test the theory. For my first attempt I proceeded as instructed above. I cut out the tennis ball, placed it on the lock and began pushing on the tennis ball in a rhythmic pattern with as much force as I could muster for about 20 minutes. Unfortunately, the lock did not open.

Realizing I must be doing something wrong, I then tried changing the frequency of the depressions. First every second for 60 minutes, then every other second for 60 minutes. These attempts proved fruitless as well.

It then dawned on me that I must not have a decent seal around the lock. I drove to the hardware store and purchased a caulking gun, three types of commercial adhesive, and 3 more tennis balls. Then applied a different sealant to each ball and fixed them to the outside of the three doors to my house. As I stood outside waiting for the adhesive to cure, I realized the fatal flaw in my plan.....I could only push one ball at a time.

So I waited on the porch for my girlfriend to come home and give me a hand. As instructed, she faithfully pressed the tennis ball in a regular rhythm while I ran back and forth from one door to the other between depressions. We were able to keep up this pace for 3 hours and 45 minutes. Pretty good for never having tried the technique before.

As it got dark it became clear I was missing something obvious that I should have noticed right away. I just didn't have the right tools. I needed to build something that could apply the same force, on every press, over a long period of time.

From the garage, I was able to mount a 4 HP lawn mower engine to a 5k lb hydrolic actuator with a 6 inch travel distance and secure it horizontally in front of the tennis ball on my front door. This freed me up to gather more data than I was previously able to do.

The mower engine and the actuator did not seem very loud, but my neighbors apparently disagree. So at around 2:30 AM I was forced to end the testing prematurely. Involuntarily I might add. I only hope that the whole "Assaulting an Officer" thing won't taint the integrity of my methodology.

My conclusion, unfortunately, was a painful one to admit. After more than 16 hours of tennis ball depressions, 3 blisters, 6 gallons of gas, and a summons to appear in court, It was plainly obvious. The look on my girlfriend's face said it all....Without licensed tennis balls from an internationally accredited institution any of my findings would be suspect.

On the bright side, I do think this is more good news than bad. It means that I'm now justified in starting from the beginning. It also allows me to repeat the experiment, but improve the accuracy of tennis ball depressions, increase the sample size, and increase the diversity of sealant material. Further study would, of course, depend on the availability of funding. Any help this community could provide would be most appreciated.

;)

Return to Lock Picking