FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Got a package, the other day, from Bosnian Bill...

<<

hellslave

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 08, 2015 12:36 am

Got a package, the other day, from Bosnian Bill...

I was just expecting a cylinder that he did a video on, recently, but he threw in an American lock, and two other cylinders (a second Corbin and one Sargent) along with it. But there are serious issues I am having. Namely, with all three of them (two of them, now, actually), the keys are not coming out, and aren't rotating on two of them (the Corbins). I did manage to free the key for the main Corbin, as it was a challenge lock that Bill added a sixth pin to. It seems that in transit, the Corbin keys rotated upsidedown and allowed the driver pins to drop back down, locking it in place. How can I fix this issue with the other, non-challenge Corbin, without mucking it up? The issue with the Sargent is almost along the same line as the others. However, its key DOES freely rotate, but cannot be removed at all. I haven't tried picking the American or the Corbin that I fixed, as I've just been focused on getting the keys out of the other two cylinders so that I can actually access them. Any help would be much appreciated.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 08, 2015 8:30 am

Re: Got a package, the other day, from Bosnian Bill...

Try sticking your thumb on the face of the plug as you remove the key. Or tightening the cam or cap depending on what kind of cylinder it is. The one that is stuck upside down, can you place a follower in behind and get the plug out?
<<

hellslave

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 08, 2015 11:14 am

I probably could use a follower, if I had one, becuase it does come out what I take the clip off; I'll see what I can come up with... The other one is a cam, I believe, held in place by a couple of slotted screws. I haven't tried tightening or lossening them yet, though. Thanks for the advice.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri May 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Pictures would be a huge help!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

south town ninja

Post Sat May 09, 2015 10:32 am

maybe a strong magnet could help retract the drivers? it would have to be strong tho. maybe the "magneto" from sparrows? it has 96 lbs of pulling force.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 09, 2015 12:18 pm

south town ninja wrote:maybe a strong magnet could help retract the drivers? it would have to be strong tho. maybe the "magneto" from sparrows? it has 96 lbs of pulling force.

Magnets don't work on brass.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat May 09, 2015 1:05 pm

Lube!
Make sure the key is in the correct position for removal.
I use my Thumb and pointer finger to Pinch the key bow. My finger tips push in on the face of the plug while the key is being pull out.
Try this while rapping the lock against your work table. or use a wooden mallet to rap the lock.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat May 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Thinking about this problem...........
Not knowing whats in this Challenge lock??
Could have a threaded cylinder with a set screw as a driver pin, or pins modified to allow miss-alignment between the plug and bible.
Please keep us informed on how you fix this issue.
Oh, and guts shots! :drool:
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat May 09, 2015 1:24 pm

I can't take it.
Is there enough room to insert a shim between the key and key-way, to help lift the pins?
<<

hellslave

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 09, 2015 11:10 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back to the topic; been busy.

The challenge lock is fixed. I don't know how or why, but the sixth pin that Bill added somehow jammed it all up when the key was turned upside down. I removed the pin and spring and was able to rotate and remove the key once more. I ended up losing a spring in the process, however, because I wasn't careful enough. Got it replaced easy-peasy, though. The following pics are of the other, non-challenge Corbin and the Sargent. It seems as though I would be able to remove the core on the Corbin if I had a follower. The Sargent though, has me stumped. Like I said, the key rotates freely and with great ease, but it just won't come out. Here are the pics...

<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sun May 10, 2015 12:49 am

What do the backs of the cylinders look like?
<<

hellslave

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 10, 2015 1:06 am

Sargent and Corbin, respectively:

<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 10, 2015 6:31 am

plug follower.JPG

Many household items can be used as a plug follower.
Pens
batteries
sockets
rolled up newspaper.
Remove the screws and cam, slide out the plug.
Let's have a look.

Also used a shim I got from a security tag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sun May 10, 2015 10:26 am

You're likely to run into some difficulty if you try to use any ol' thing as a plug follower for that Sargent cylinder.

You have to rotate the cylinder at least 15 degrees before you try to remove it. If you don't, and there's an empty pin chamber at the back of the plug, a top pin and spring will get bound up in there.

If you use a plug follower that's not flush with the back of the plug, you'll leave space for top pins and springs to fly out of their chambers. Then you'll want to have a pair of tweezers and a good follower to reload those. Better to avoid all that.

I say you get yourself down to Home Depot and pay $2 for a length of SharkBite 1/2" PEX pipe. Cut off a small piece and carve a groove in the end so it fits nicely to the end of that plug with the cam removed. When held against the back of the plug, there shouldn't be any gaps for top pins to slip through.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun May 10, 2015 4:44 pm

I think I sent those locks to Bill way back when and he made them evil...they look familiar.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife

Return to Lock Picking