FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Fiasco's journey to lockpicking

<<

Fiasco Badmandry

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:22 am

Fiasco's journey to lockpicking

HI everyone,

I'm new to lockpicking, it's been a while now that i've been interested in that stuff, and guess what? I just received my first kit !!

So i went directly to the local hardware store, and bought myself some master locks and a vise...

I'll try to document my progression in this thread mostly by photos, and maybe through video posting if i manage to pick'em open !

So here's the stuff : there's a kick start kit from sparrows, with a shank, a decoder and a worm rake, I bought mostly master locks, and no name 6 pinners for a start :

i'll be needing advices and sheering when i mess up, so dont hesitate to comment !

well enought talking, let's start picking !
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:56 am

Re: Fiasco's journey to lockpicking

Look forward to seeing your learning increase! Glad you are here.

You might consider going back to the hardware store and picking up a laminated Master #3 or #5 padlock. That way you can be sure the lock has no security pins. Don't get the one with the body of stamped steel made to imitate the look of laminated steel. Get the blue labelled locks. The stamped steel lock is so crappy that it can be harder to pick. And yes, a very low quality lock can be harder to pick than a low quality lock due to the horrible tolerances.

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Yep, That small brass master padlock looks like a 140, which has a security pin. Oldfast has a post about them. Think it is a serrated pin in the chamber nearest the end you would insert the key.
New locks and new picks.........let the fun begin.
<<

Fiasco Badmandry

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:33 pm

So,

first of all, GWiens2001, jharveee, thanks for the insights, much appreciated.

Of course, my night as just begun, and i have plenty of time to continue my first 'execises', but still I want to keep a record of what i've managed to pick open (maybe because i'm SO excited about it !)

Here's the master '726EURD' or '726D' (i'm not sure, both references are on the package)
This one i managed to zip open, and to SPP a bunch of times.

And here's the master n°140, jharveee warned me about :
Well, i managed to rake it open ! I thought security pins such as spools would prevent that but still, i raked it open 4 or 5 times, i'm movin' to SPP...

What about the experience?

Well, on the 726EURD zipping felt clear, SPP is still kind of messy and confused. Each time i pick it, i'm not quite sure if i was just lucky or what.. I will keep him close to repeat the experience and try to really feel what i'm doing in there...

About the 140, well, the worm rake feels like the key to that lock.. no kidding.. If i apply the right amount of tension, he will pop open as soon as i get the worm into him literally... it's strange.. but very satisfying :)
I move to SPP with this one...

stay tuned..
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:22 pm

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=5042
If I was able to copy and paste correctly, the link should take you to Oldfasts Guts shots of the master 140.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Congrads on joining the hobby/sport. Im sure you already realized that the one major benefits of this hobby/sport is that its non stop excitement simply because there are sooooooooo many different locks, pins, pinning, styles, picks etc etc etc and that is only for standard pin tumbler locks not to mention there are also combination locks, lever locks, safe combination locks, warded locks, wafer locks plus different styles and ways of impressioning & key making, bypassing, and the list goes on and on. You are at the right place here to share and obtain information. These guys are like lock encyclopedias. Keep doing what your doing as you are on the right track. Keep in mind that the true fundamentals are in SPPing so focus on that. I forget the name of the thread and who posted it but it listed the life of a lockpicker from getting the first lock pick set to retirement but point 2 or 3 states, and its all so true, that you will begin to buy every single lock you can possible get your hands on. You gotta find and read it, its so funny just because its all so true. Im sure someone knows that thread I am referring to so please post a link.
<<

Fiasco Badmandry

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:38 am

hey everybody !

Today i have what i call a UDO (Unexpected Day Off) !
So i'll spend it exercising my picking.

I now manage to SPP that Master 140... Doesn't workout perfectly every time, but still i begin to feel binders, and map the sequence in my head while i'm picking it..

So i moved to the Master M1... and i get no results... that's a bit frustrating.. Everything feels springy even if i tension it like a beast! There must be something i do wrong... also i wonder if my hook is deep enough.
I read in 'lockpicking detail overkill' that the temptation to accuse tools is often due to the lack of skill, so i keep trying, and when i feel too sad, i SPP the #140 to sheer myself up.

So, i'll get back to it, if anyboy has pointers about that M1, i really would appreciate it..

EDIT :
Looks like i've been too confident, and that little #140 called it, and now he won't budge for me... first lesson learned : you opened it once? try twice, and then try ten times in a row...
Fail, fail again, fail better...
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Great job on the 140. Some of those can be painful. I have a couple that give me hell. lol
It can sometimes turn into a game of whack-a-mo. Set this, lose that... set that, lose this.

Also, if you're not already set up on ebay... I'd highly suggest it. And the sooner the better.
I understand ya can't wait and will purchase some from stores (I did the same thing). But
don't do that as long as I did... you'll spend a small fortune paying those prices. For the
long-term addict, ebay's where it's at. Not only for better prices, but for high sec locks.

I'll be watchin' this thread & look forward to following along! Very exciting times, I know!

p.s. Don't forget to eat, sleep, and shower from time to time :mrgreen:

Papa Gleb wrote:....Im sure someone knows that thread I am referring to so please post a link.
The Life of a Locksport Community Member was written by LocksmithArmy
And here's another bit that might get ya geeked up for your new journey.
Wrote by some crazy addict :???: He's seems passionate anyway. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Neilau

Post Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:36 pm

The journey begins.

Congratulations on getting the 140. :hbg:

I’ll give you a couple of tips.

With the 140 keep picking it. Over and over again. Try different things and really get to know and feel the lock. A good way to get them (and a lot of spools in general) is to apply light to medium torsion and jiggle and rake a half diamond around till some of the pins set and you are hung up on the spools. You will feel the cylinder rotate about 10 degrees. Keeping the tension on, go in with your hook and feel each pin. You will feel the spools that are hung up. Then, adjusting the torsion, try and lift them. Sometimes there will be a couple of spools hung up and sometimes just one.

Like I said, keep “playing” with that lock. Over and over again. Then get another one. They are all a little bit different.

The M1.

I have a M5 and if it is any indication of the M series, they are quite “mushy” and there is quite a bit of spring tension in the cylinder. Take heart though, they are not exactly “high security” and are very packable. They just look mean. Actually, the M series that I have tried (only a few admittedly) are not as hard as the 140. They just feel different.

Another thing. I like to hold pad locks in my hand when picking them. It is closer to how they are in the wild (not that you open locks in the wild without permission - seriously) – plus you can play with them while watching TV.

Don’t get too frustrated. If you are not having success, put it away till tomorrow. Then finish up on a lock that you can pick.

Another challenging little pad lock (with spools) that you can probably get over there are the small Yales like the Y110/40.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Fiasco Badmandry

Post Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:02 pm

Hey everybody!

Today a friend of mine came by and guess what he brought ?
A bunch of pad locks he doesn't use anymore!

From left to right :
- a no name padlock (i SPP'd a bunch of times)
- a second Master 140 to my collection, but this one has been used outside a bit too long... It's stiff, can't get any feeling out of it...
- an Abus 55/40, very stiff too
- a Vachette, no reference or id numbers on it.. this one i managed to SPP when my buddy brought it, but since that one time, no results anymore...
And an ISEO 5 pins dimple locks... This one i didn't even try since i don't have a flag pick yet...

So i've got two padlocks i can't get any feeling from, I've seen bosnianbill use WD40 a bunch of times, and each time making a comment on how it's not the best stuff but works as well, any suggestions about what would be "the best"?

> Oldfast : yes i have an ebay account. I'll have a look at their prices, I'd sure like to save a bit of money, so thank you for the advice.. And i'll take a look at those threads you pointed.. Thank you sir!
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:47 pm

If you want to try that Dimple lock without a flag pick, you can try using the flat side of a Half Diamond~

It's worked for me on several occasions.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:13 am

Looks like your collection is building up nicely and your skills are moving along to match. As for getting the no pick blues I feel you as I went through the same recently when I couldn't pick a damn thing after slaying locks like a champ. I couldn't even get my old Yales open and they are as challenging as the Masters (in other words not at all, just have to look at them with a scowl and they pop open out of fear).

Anyway good luck going forward and don't get frustrated just put the one you're working on down and pick up one of your confidence builders and get your touch and mental imaging back. That seems to work for me although I have locks I've spent countless hours on with no success.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Fiasco Badmandry

Post Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:11 pm

hey everyone !

I'll just post a few words today, to brag about the fact that i now got the no name, the vachette and both the 140's in hand !
(By the way, Doogs i think you were making reference to those Masters 140, 'cause i don't own any 5200 which i think are American brand padlocks.. But still thanks for the compliment)

What makes me remember how green i still am?
That Master M1, which i can't open ..yet.. since i have a hard time getting aprecise feeling of what's goin on in there..
And that little Abus 55/40, with this one the problem is its keyway is so narrow i can't get both my smallest tension wrench and my hook in there.. and unfortunately i don't have prybars, or a thin enough hook..
I'll Edit later to add photos of the abus..

Well as always thanks everybody for your interest and comments.. I'll go back to that M1...

Edit :
so here's the photo of that abus's keyway :
It's narrow, and curvy, i've managed to set the first and second pins but if i push after them my pick stays kinda stuck... Any ideas ?
<<

Neilau

Post Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:47 pm

RE: the M1.

They are quite mushy and don't give much feedback. Use a half diamond :halfdiamond: and you will get it.

Re: the keyway.

This might be a good time to make your self some tension tools. Wind screen wiper inserts are good and you can file/grind then to any size that you need. You will probably build up a good collection of tension tools as you make them for all different keyways. A lot of the people here have almost as many tension tools as they have picks.

Keep us posted.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Fiasco Badmandry

Post Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:36 am

Hey everyone!

It's been several days since the last time i posted, so here's news :

I've had no luck on the Master M1 and the little (and tight) Abus 55/40...

- The M1, well i tried all the tricks i know (so it's not much, i give you that), i tryed to rake it, zip it, pick it with the diamond like neilau suggested, no results i may have found the only tough master lock in the world... or i'm greener than i thought

- The Abus 55/40, no real news about that one, i haven't had time to build my self a pry bar yet, and with the tools i have i'm getting nothing but a false set, pretty frustrating...

But, there's one good news : i managed to pick that 6 pinner several time (Raking it and SPPing it) :

I haven't got the tools to gut it, so i'm gessing : one serated and one spool. I'm not very fast on him but i open it almost on every try !

that's it for now, don't hesitate to comment, stay tuned...
Next

Return to Lock Picking