FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Well, the time has come

<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Well, the time has come

Been a while since i posted anything, i am currently waiting for two medeco biaxial mortise cylinders to come in the mail, should be here tomorrow and i cannot wait to try and pick them! Until then, does anyone have any tips for doing so? i breifly read over some of the tutorials on this site and around the internet, any tips on actually rotating the pins? will post more when i recieve the locks!
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Well, the time has come

Boy you really jumped in headfirst! Sorry but I can't help you as I know better than to even think about trying to pick mine yet so good luck you're gonna need it. :whip:
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:14 pm

I felt the time was right, some guy had one listed on ebay with no key for a low price, and due to shipping delays he threw in the second for free!
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:46 pm

twenglish 1 wrote:I felt the time was right, some guy had one listed on ebay with no key for a low price, and due to shipping delays he threw in the second for free!

Gotta like that tw. They are going to be tough locks to nail hopefully you don't get toooooo frustrated.

<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:07 pm

I learned all about frustration when i was attacking that best core i had been posting about trying to remove from a lock i bought with no key, i had the feeling that i was constantly setting pins and some would drop just as fast, i know they wont be easy but i am going to try picking them with all the pin stacks but i am sure i will be removing a few(or most) of the pin stacks to get some practice rotating the key pins
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:20 pm

Good idea tw I will have to ge read up on it so I have an idea what is going on when you post

<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:26 pm

It sure should be a fun(frustrating) adventure, haha
<<

LockButcher

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:33 pm

I think it was Kokomolock who had a really good idea to get the feel for those. If you can take out all the pins and put one in at a time. So put the easiest pin 1 in and get used to moving the pins not only up and down but rotating them. Then once you get the hang of that keep 1 in and put 2 in then once you get used to that keep 1 and 2 in and then put 3 in and so forth until you are very used to the feel and the action you need to get those pins to set. I advise you to research it a lot. All that picking on those little pins over and over can reek havoc on the pins too. From my research if you can pick them once you're ok but when you pick them over and over and over it could wear the tips of the key pins down to the point the key will not work any more... They have soooooo much security in the core. But you are a braver man than I. I am a total noob and I am no where near starting to dance with Medeco. Good luck from me too! Please keep us updated on your progress and share any tips you learn. Have fun!!!!!!
<<

twenglish 1

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Thank you! i was told to start with one pin stack in the back first as it is the hardest to reach and manipulate, so once you master the hardest first it will all get progressively easier as you move forward adding more pinstacks, someone else might have some better advice on this, but it makes sense to me that this might be the way to start
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Medeco have always been some of my favorite locks to pick. They're a fun challenge and I get sort of a juvenile satisfaction from picking a lock that so many locksmiths insist is unpickable.

I think you're off to a good start with Biaxial as your choice. I find them easier than the original model Medecos, by far. With the fore and aft cuts on the pin tips, it leaves either the front or back of the chisel tip of the pin with a very large surface against which to rest the tip of your hook. You just have to feel each pin tip to figure out if the larger chisel face is towards the rear of the lock or the front of the lock. Then with that very wide keyway, you tilt the pick slightly left or right, and brace it against that larger face of the pin tip as you lift the pin. That's how I rotate the pins. On original Medecos, the chisel tip is centered between the front and the back of the pin and the pins are a bit more stubborn to rotate exactly when and how you want them to. Or at least for me.

I determine what the pin rotations are by trial and error. I start picking, find the binding pin, then just randomly choose left or right to rotate it as you lift it. Once the pin is set, wiggle it. If the rotation can wiggle a tiny bit, you're set correctly in the sidebar groove. If the rotation has no wiggle, it's set against the side of the pin or in the false groove. For this step I find its sometimes helpful to file a tiny groove in the tip of the pick hook. I press that groove in the pick up against the V shaped chisel tip at the bottom of the pin, lift slightly and push and pull to see if the rotation can wiggle.

If the rotation is set correctly, I move on to find the next binding pin. If it's not set correctly, I let the pins drop and try again, rotating a different direction on that pin next time. As I go along, I decode it in my head and keep a mental list of each pin, if it's a fore or aft pin (telling me where to place the pick tip) and which is the correct rotation of each pin as I progress.

It's helpful if you remove the grub screws from the top of the bible and dump out the pin stacks. Then replace one or two pin stacks and start this process. This will let you get a more controlled feel for how the pin tips feel with the pick and whether or not you're correctly rotating the pins. You can add pin stacks as you go along and your skill level increases. I found my progress flew along until I hit four pin stacks. Four and five pin stacks started to get noticeably harder, but still very achievable. It was moving from five to six pin stacks that for me the difficulty level seemed to at least double, if not worse.

Have fun.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:48 pm

Xeo did a great write-up on picking a Medeco. Highly recommend reading it.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:25 am

Good luck! I found it helpful to start from the back when progressively pinning; got me accustomed to navigating the keyway.

I was consistently up to 4 pins on a Medeco original a few weeks ago, but had to set it aside for a while and reclaim some of my free time and sanity :smile: .
<<

twenglish 1

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:06 pm

So far after maybe an hour or so of picking i was able to get up to 2 pins on one of the locks, i am finding it very dificult to rotate the pins
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:15 pm

if you have a slender peterson gem in your arsenal go with that. makes rotating pins a helluva lot easier. everything MBI is spot on as well (as always). good luck!
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:22 pm

Here are the two locks, they are slightly different, keyways are different, and the one on the right the pins go almost to the bottom of the keyway and the wedges on the keypins are centered, the one on the left the wedges are not centered, some are sloped towards the front and some are sloped towards the back, i think i read that the one with the centered wedges is the medico classic? and the other is a biaxial?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Next

Return to Lock Picking