FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Master 931 Gut shot

<<

Neilau

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:42 am

Master 931 Gut shot

I’ve had this lock for quite a few years and it has been the hardest Master to pick that I own.

I have managed to pop it about 4 or 5 times but it has always taken a while. Probably just lucked it.

Recently I got it out again to have another go and as soon as I’d raise a pin or two it would lock solid. I knew that it had a couple of spools but even if I managed to rotate it on a spool/s it would lock up solid. No counter rotation, no feedback, just “all locked up”.

I took the cylinder out of the lock because it is a pretty solid lock and I didn’t want to lose or have to drill it if I fucked up.

Still couldn’t get any joy so – when all else fails – more lubrication.

While I was working the lube into the cylinder with the key the core started to come out – a gutting was now happening.

It is a six pin cylinder but only five pins in it.

The first thing that I noticed was (I suppose, in an effort to save money) there was NO circlip. The end of the cylinder is just peened over in one place to fit (not very well) into the grove in the back of the plug. See photo.

After that that I noticed that ALL driver pins are spools. I always thought that at least one driver had to be a regular pin.

The next thing is that all the driver (spools) are the same length.

On closer inspection, on two of the spools (1 & 5 in photo), the narrow section is quite a bit smaller than the other three. This is probably what locked the up pins and prevented any counter rotation a la regular spools. Plus the fact that all the driver pins are quite short.

All in all, I’m glad I gutted it because close inspection explained a lot about this cylinder.

Definitely one of Masters more secure cylinders.

Now I have a request.

Can someone send me a replacement cylinder for this lock. I’ll pay all expenses. The cylinder does not have to be a Master, as long as it fits and has the right cam in the end. It's a really solid lock and I'd like to use it.

If you can help me out please PM me.

Thanks.

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

Click to enlarge.
M4.jpg

The peened section.
M5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:20 am

Re: Master 931 Gut shot

Funny enough, I ran across a Master Proseries 6471 I believe which is a copy of the American 2000 puck lock. This lock was claimed to be purchased brand new but the key didnt work. I managed to open it with luck and a hammer and found that the 6th chamber was missing a driver pin. I also did some more research and Master stepped up their game. That lock had all 5 spools and 1 standard but all had a serration in the middle of it. It felt like picking an American lock which clearly shows Masters higher up locks are not that bad to pick. They introduced tighter tolerances and new spools pins.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:12 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Funny enough, I ran across a Master Proseries 6471 I believe which is a copy of the American 2000 puck lock. This lock was claimed to be purchased brand new but the key didnt work. I managed to open it with luck and a hammer and found that the 6th chamber was missing a driver pin. I also did some more research and Master stepped up their game. That lock had all 5 spools and 1 standard but all had a serration in the middle of it. It felt like picking an American lock which clearly shows Masters higher up locks are not that bad to pick. They introduced tighter tolerances and new spools pins.

Master Lock owns American Lock, now, so it shouldn't be surprising to see more serrated and spool pins in all their products.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Here's a 911 (not a 931)... but just wanted to throw out that I found all spools as well.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Neilau

Post Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:49 am

Oldfast wrote:Here's a 911 (not a 931)... but just wanted to throw out that I found all spools as well.

Interesting. Thanks OF. Looks like they put all spools in their higher security locks.

What about the two spools with the shorter narrow section?

I think that they were the ones giving me all the trouble. NO counter rotation when trying to lift. Almost like a single large serration.

PS still looking to purchase a replacement cylinder. :D
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.

Return to Lock Picking