FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Master LOTO No. 410 picked!

<<

twenglish 1

Post Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:12 pm

Master LOTO No. 410 picked!

Not a big accomplishment based on what most of the people here are cabable of, but today i was able to pick open a master 410 lock/out tag/out lock twice and only using a rake to get the false set and then single pin picking the rest, 6 pins total and i believe i counted 3 or 4 spool pins, it was definetly a big step in learning the art of lock picking, however the second time i picked it i accidently rotated the plug further around that it is designed to and it seems to have released the pins through the holes at the base of the lock body, i can hear them rattling around inside the lock haha, guess i will be cutting it open now, even though i broke it i am still feeling great that i was able to single pin pick it!
<<

flywheel

Post Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Master LOTO No. 410 picked!

Excellent work. I'm a big fan of the LOTOs.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:48 pm

The spools were a bit tricky at first but once I had the feel for the correct tension they became easy
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Way to go. :hbg:

Six pins. Using two picks. Spools -- the lot. The 410s are not the easiest picks.

Don't worry about rotating too far and losing the pins. I think everyone here has done something similar (or worse) when they started out (still do when attacking a new, unknown lock). I know I have wrecked a few locks along the way. :D

I recently had the cylinder fall out of a Master 931 when I was giving it a lube. Pins and springs everywhere. Up coming gut shot session when I get the camera out.

It's all good, as you learn something new every time you do that and you'll never forget it.

Again well done.

PS. Oh what a feeling !!!!
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:02 pm

I disassembled the lock and placed the pins back in and glued it back together, I think there were 3 spools and a serrated or two
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:46 pm

twenglish 1 wrote:....second time i picked it i accidently rotated the plug further around that it is designed to and it seems to have released the pins through the holes at the base of the lock body, i can hear them rattling around inside the lock haha....

Certainly not the first time someone's done that! And won't the last, lol.
Besides, guess it at least gave you a good reason to have a look inside.

Congrats on pickin' it. Don't short yourself - a great accomplishment.
And, as you mentioned... it's a big step in the the learning curve.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

twenglish 1

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:02 pm

I think picking the spool pins are easier than picking regular pins, at least in the 410 lockout lock, i used my :cityrake: to get the false set and then used the :shorthook: to set the pins that were causing the counter rotation, a few times i got it to open just by using the :cityrake: and very light tension. So with the recent success of my brinks disk lock and the lockout lock, what lock would you recommend next as a good challenge for me?
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:10 pm

I would recommend moving to the Americans. They come with spools, serrated, serrated spools, serrated key pins and sweet tolerances not to mention American Lock has sooo many different models and all comes with a mix of those pins that you cant go wrong. Noo wait you can, if getting any American lock make sure its a true American and not a Master American since Master purchased the company since 2012.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:41 pm

I just ordered an american 5200 government lock, I can't wait to give it a try, I think this lockout lock did have a serrated pin or two, I have gotten too good at picking this one, I was even able to open it a few times just by jiggling the :cityrake: around in it with very light tension
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:23 am

twenglish 1 wrote:.....what lock would you recommend next as a good challenge for me?

If you're thirsting for more counter-rotation: The brass #'s from Master, Brinks, and Abus are all good 'spool practice' too.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:18 pm

In the short time i have been working those spool pins i have grown to love the counter rotation and the slight click when they are pushed into place, so the brass bodied brinks and masters have spool pins in them?
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Yes. The Masters have a handful of different sizes and can have 3, 4, 5, or 6 pins.
There's usually one serrated pin and the rest are spools. Here's a gutted 140.

Brinks are about the same.... one standard pin and the rest are spools.

All great practice. Some can be quite challenging. Others pop easy.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:17 pm

I went back on my 40mm laminated brinks pad lock, and i never noticed the first few times i picked it, but i was able to count 2 spool pins, they give a really really deep false set, so deep that i have to actually turn the plug back slightly, to even feel the counter rotation, i don't know how i missed this the first few times i picked it

Return to Lock Picking