FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

New puzzle to solve

<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:28 am

New puzzle to solve

I just got this Yale padlock and I'm having a bear of a time with it. Any words of wisdom?

IMG_4420.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

Re-added images...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by elbowmacaroni on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:49 am

Re: New puzzle to solve

Looks like it's spent a lot of time outdoors in not-so-favourable conditions, so lube would definately be a plus. It's possible that it contains those "super spools" like the ones in Tooly's thread aswell so keep that in mind if it drops into a false set at some point.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:30 am

These locks are a pain, especially what Solomon said, before you get frustrated, make sure that the lock will even open in the first place, I would also use the lube and put a tension wrench into the keyway and turn right to left back and fourth to make sure it moves around a little. I also have a Yale with the super spools, it may have them, don't get frustrated they are the hardest pins around in my opinion.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:18 am

Yeah, well... it came sans key, so I don't know if it will really open for an absolute certainty, however the plug does turn a bit like I would expect, the hasp has some vertical play, and the pins seem to move pretty freely, so I suspect it's probably operational. There was/still is a bunch of greasy gunk in there... I gotta hit it with some more brake cleaner and re-lube I think. The keyway warding is not my friend either... but then I always seem to say that until I get something open :roll:

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:33 am

you will get it open! Those keyways are crazy but alot of people seem to get used to them and they are no problem, myself, I don't pick enough Yales to really ever get comfy with them. We don't see very many around these parts, these and Abus are few and far between it seems. Good luck!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks! I'm sure I will, it's just a matter of time...I just need to not think about the the spot on the warding where it dips back downward as the pick doesn't need to go back down there... The main problem I'm having is only the 2nd pin ever sets all the rest just stay springy as the month of may. I guess it could be that pin is false setting and letting all the other slide around... but it doesn't feel like a spool. IDK... I'll get it eventually. Or it'll stay in the pile with my 7pin Best core and get messed with every few days for a few min until I crack it eventually. God that best is a PITA. But it was rekeyed, and I think the caps were pushed in too far and the springs are overcompressed. On top of that, the guy who repined it, I think he may have put some of that bumpstop goo in it too, if not he put some heavy grease in there (scary thought.) Know of any good solvents for that bumpstop goo?

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:11 am

Brake cleaner takes care of just about everything. My experience with Best is that they pick easier the more sheerlines they have, master, grandmaster, etc.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:34 am

elbowmacaroni wrote:The main problem I'm having is only the 2nd pin ever sets all the rest just stay springy as the month of may. I guess it could be that pin is false setting and letting all the other slide around... but it doesn't feel like a spool.?

It's a super spool! Either it's in false or it's actually oversetting the pin behind it when you get it set properly. I have that problem a lot when dealing with hi-lo bittings which have spools.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Nah! I don't think so, not a super spool, just a regular spool. I think your having problems oversetting but I could be wrong.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:46 pm

well, I just played with it a bit more, and I don't think it's overset because the key pin still drops back down and I can lift it but it offers no resistance till it hits the driver, and then it stops solid... but I don't seem to get any push back on my TW eiter... maybe I just need to be more aggressive on lifting it and lay off the tension a bit. At the very least sometimes it just helps to talk these things through.

Thanks guys... I'll keep at it :D

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:35 pm

I don't know alot about Yale locks, but it sounds like you may have some sort of serrated driver in there.. maybe?? I don't know if Yale uses them though.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:14 am

the lockpickkid wrote:I don't know alot about Yale locks, but it sounds like you may have some sort of serrated driver in there.. maybe?? I don't know if Yale uses them though.

Their newer kitemarked cylinders use serrated drivers, well... more like double spools. Don't know if they ever used them before those though.

Return to Lock Picking