FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Do you consider Abloy classic keyway high security?

<<

HirosStorageUnit

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:16 am

Do you consider Abloy classic keyway high security?

Was speaking to a friend about padlocks for a site and he refuses to use the companies existing padlocks that use the CLASSIC keyways.
This got me thinking aside from a impressioning attack and maybe not having a boron shackle. Are they worthless?

Granted I love the newest and best but in all reality a cut lock is a cut lock. Covert entry is something to consider but damn that takes some serious skill.

just wondering about diminishing returns on this. Up side is i may get a HUGE piles of abloys for my use :razz:

just food for thought. wht say you guys?
Last edited by HirosStorageUnit on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Do you consider Abloy classic keyway high secuirty?

Honestly, im not quite sure if they would, i guess it would depend on your definition of high security. Additionally, hit me up if you do get those as i am very interested in diving into the abloy classic pool.
<<

HirosStorageUnit

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:38 am

Re: Do you consider Abloy classic keyway high security?

IMHO he just wants a few Extra 330s for his stuff. :) I know that abloy considers it level 1 on the basis of key control but in all reality I still think that they provide damn good security for what they are. We all know that you can cut them like any other padlock. Just got me thinking. I would have no problem using them on my shed or yard gate so HERE IS TO HIM NOT KEEPING THEM!!!
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:52 pm

HirosStorageUnit wrote:IMHO he just wants a few Extra 330s for his stuff. :) I know that abloy considers it level 1 on the basis of key control but in all reality I still think that they provide damn good security for what they are. We all know that you can cut them like any other padlock. Just got me thinking. I would have no problem using them on my shed or yard gate so HERE IS TO HIM NOT KEEPING THEM!!!

In reality they are still an extremely secure lock. If a thief gets past it they will cut it before picking it.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:18 pm

In a word .. Yes , I wouldn't use one tho ! Must have boron shackle for me
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Are boron shackles really that strong? How much better/stronger are they than hardened steel? Also, as far as locks are concerned, locks get to a point that theyy are a seal as much as they are a lock, where it secures to a point that you don't have to worry about nondestructive entry, and will know that someone broke in.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:19 pm

IIRC boron shakers don't shatter like hardened steel. They take more force to cut. Abloy classic is still incredibly pick resistant. You cant impression them from a blank. I'd use then to lock my shit up.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:27 pm

Actually it is possible to impression them. http://blackbag.nl/?p=486

There are also 2 different version of hardened shackles. Case hardened (hard on outside, soft on inside) and through hardened (hard all the way through). Case hardened shackles can be harder to cut because once you get through the hard part you still have to cut all the way through the soft part. With case hardened shackles they usually "snap" or shatter because they are so hard.

<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:56 pm

i personally dont worry about the abloys anymore may they r.i.p after the multi pick services tool was introduced,but dont they make a build up key for the classic im sure ive seen one and would help a great deal in a impressioning attempt i think ?
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Riyame wrote:
HirosStorageUnit wrote:IMHO he just wants a few Extra 330s for his stuff. :) I know that abloy considers it level 1 on the basis of key control but in all reality I still think that they provide damn good security for what they are. We all know that you can cut them like any other padlock. Just got me thinking. I would have no problem using them on my shed or yard gate so HERE IS TO HIM NOT KEEPING THEM!!!

In reality they are still an extremely secure lock. If a thief gets past it they will cut it before picking it.

absolutely...NO thief will EVER pick an abloy disc detainer,when clipping it takes 2 seconds.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

bezza1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:51 am

uklockpicker wrote:In a word .. Yes , I wouldn't use one tho ! Must have boron shackle for me

boron is easy to cut ill make a vid for ya give me 30mins
keep going dont look back allways achive your goals
and follow your dreams................
<<

bezza1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:28 am

<<

Riyame

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:48 am

Very cool. Notice the sparks when he cut the boron shackle? A wild semi educated guess would be that once it got so far cut through that the shackle "fractured/shattered" and basically cut itself the rest of the way through causing the sparks.

<<

bezza1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:59 am

Riyame wrote:Very cool. Notice the sparks when he cut the boron shackle? A wild semi educated guess would be that once it got so far cut through that the shackle "fractured/shattered" and basically cut itself the rest of the way through causing the sparks.

when i get round to it ill put some pics up of the damage
<<

Josh66

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:42 am

Riyame wrote:Very cool. Notice the sparks when he cut the boron shackle? A wild semi educated guess would be that once it got so far cut through that the shackle "fractured/shattered" and basically cut itself the rest of the way through causing the sparks.

Could have also been a chunk of the bolt cutter coming off. How does the edge look, Bezza?
Next

Return to ASSA/Abloy