FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Stolen Protec padlock - easier to make key?

<<

jharrison

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:18 am

Stolen Protec padlock - easier to make key?

Theoretical question --

Two Protec (or Protec 2) padlocks keyed alike. One lock is cut and stolen.

Does this make the second (non-stolen) lock vulnerable to someone making a key by analyzing the stolen lock?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:03 am

Re: Stolen Protec padlock - easier to make key?

I don't see why it should not be possible.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

6275LA

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:13 am

Yes, certainly possible.

Although having a locked padlock stolen by cutting it is not entirely preventable, some large institutions (hospitals, universities, etc) do take measures to prevent cylinders from leaving their control. For example, a university has an off-campus building no longer needed and will sell it. Before putting it on the market, the campus lock shop will strip all interior doors of their cylinders (they can leave the rest of the hardware on if they so desire) and all exterior doors will get replacement cylinders (usually aftermarket SC4 or Y2) for temporary security when the building is sold. Then it is the responsibility of the new owner to decide what to do.

I have heard of a university campus (I don't remember where) that had all doors that are normally unlocked (such as rest rooms and dorm living rooms) keyed alike, off master. That way, because stealing cylinders on open doors is easy, if one were stolen it would not lead to making a master key.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:31 am

Easy to decode, but harder to find a key blank with the correct profile and the machine to cut it.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:14 am

If I can get a Protec lock of the same profile with keys, I would fill up the cuts where necessary with hard solder and file the cuts. Probably it would even work with some epoxy. If the right profile is not available maybe it is possible to make a skeleton profile from an available key.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Visitor

Post Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:30 pm

If your insurance found this out in the UK they would fail your claim.
I always try my best to talk customers out of keying alike for this reason, loose a key and every lock has to be changed.
A key can easily be originated from your missing padlock.
<<

KJ4IPS

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:44 pm

It's also worth noting, that unless the remaining lock is a PL321, it can be rekeyed, which can save you quite a bit if you choose to replace it.
It is foolish to think that any puzzle born of human ingenuity cannot be unraveled by the same (Someone whose name I have forgotten)

Return to ASSA/Abloy