FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Picking ASSA 700

<<

Patrick Star

Post Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Re: Picking ASSA 700

I think those are not the ASSAs. The ASSAs said "Approved, class 3" like the DORMA one does now. I suspect the similar-looking one they have now is just some crap with 7 regular pins.
IIRC, when I bought the ASSA one a bit under a year ago they had all 3 - ASSA, DORMA, slightly cheaper crap. Now they just have 2.

The DORMA one I have does indeed say "elite" on the front - the one mrdeus bought recently does as well.
<<

macavity

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:42 pm

I can attest to the fact that it does not have 7 regular pins. See above. I bought it in January, and the Biltema part number matches. The pin configuration also matches what BB shows in his video.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:49 am

Ah - I didn't know you had actually bought one recently (as opposed to a long time ago, or getting it from somewhere else). Maybe buying that lock just gives you whatever they happen to have in stock?
<<

macavity

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Dunno, but I'll grab a bucket full come payday, as I think they are excellent value for the money.

I'm certain that other pickers will love to get one of those in the mail... especially once I've counter milled them and put home made torpedos in them ;)
<<

Patrick Star

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:33 am

Get some of the DORMA ones as well - they are really fun :)
<<

Ronchopathe

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:05 am

I tested the ASSA with "only" 7 tapered pins. And despite the presence of waffers, they are very long to open SPP (no feedback):

https://youtu.be/Iq64DTpg-vo

You can see the pins at the end of the video.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:39 am

Interesting! It's clearly an old ASSA, but I don't recognize the pins or the profile.
Most ASSAs with that logo are either all vanilla pins (like the one in my avatar) or tapered spools.
I have only seen tapered pins like that in Alfa locks. At least a single one doesn't seem to do anything with regards to pickability - I read somewhere that it provides some protection against impressioning...?
Previous

Return to ASSA/Abloy