FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Van Locks

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:16 am

Van Locks

I got 2 Van Locks and keys coming my way (T-handles) :drool: , and I'm looking for anyone with experience picking them. Especially with making a custom wrench.

The only input I've so far found is this YouTube. The wishbone wrench is no worries (I got a few of them). It's just the other puppy I'm curious on.

I've also got a few questions:
Can they be picked back to closed position since they key can't return them to closed position once they're picked?
How/Why is the lock in the vid not locking up as it turns and the pins pass over the stacks?

I forgot my other questions for now.

Any input, or methods much appreciated.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:22 am

Re: Van Locks

I made a pick for these locks in 1986 that is a work of art. That other puppy you mention in that video I don't believe will work with the lock in actual operation recessed on a machine.

Yes it does look strange that the lock didn't lock up when he turned it to what looks to be far enough for the next pin stack but I can assure you if it did get turned all the way it will lock up in the turned position. Reason you cannot use the key to turn it back once picked and locked up in next pin stack is the key has 2 pin retainers that fit into the groove in the lock body to retain the key in it so it cannot be removed unless the lock is locked. If you remove those pins on the key you can insert it in any position the lock is turned in. But you would only want to do that if you cannot get it picked back to locked or of you have a spare key you don't care the retainer pins are removed on.

Richard
Last edited by MrWizard on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

darkhorse

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:29 am

that other puppy is used to keep tension on the plug once a pin is set so you can remove the wishbone and carry on picking....I'm guessing and I'm curious too why the plug doesnt stop turning when it reaches the next pins
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:52 am

MrWizard wrote:I made a pick for these locks in 1986 that is a work of art. That other puppy you mention in that video I don't believe will work with the lock in actual operation recessed on a machine.

Richard

:drool: Truly a work of art. Any vids of it in action, Richard?

Yes, my same thought about a lock recessed in a machine. I'll cross that bridge some other time, but other than a Van Lock in my vice, I can't imagine a need to deal with a machine recessed versions, nor an opportunity to practice on one unless I make surround to recess the lock in. But it's definitely worth thinking about however I'm going to maintain tension.

Huge thanks for posting your pics.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:09 am

No I don't have any videos with it in action but it makes the lock defeat itself usually in secs. Works so fast it makes these locks look really bad for high security use. I had a hospital as commercial account that had these on all their drug carts and lost all the keys. So out of necessity I had to come up with something that would get them open and quick. They didn't want them drilled as they had 30+ carts all on the same key. So I made the basic prototype over night went there the next morning and opened one cart decoded it still on the cart in minutes and made them a temporary key until I had time to order in the amount keys they needed. But after they seen how easy I was able to defeat these locks they soon after ordered Medeco's I suggested they change to. :mrgreen:

Richard
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:43 am

MrWizard wrote:I made a pick for these locks in 1986 that is a work of art. That other puppy you mention in that video I don't believe will work with the lock in actual operation recessed on a machine.

Yes it does look strange that the lock didn't lock up when he turned it to what looks to be far enough for the next pin stack but I can assure you if it did get turned all the way it will lock up in the turned position. Reason you cannot use the key to turn it back once picked and locked up in next pin stack is the key has 2 pin retainers that fit into the groove in the lock body to retain the key in it so it cannot be removed unless the lock is locked. If you remove those pins on the key you can insert it in any position the lock is turned in. But you would only want to do that if you cannot get it picked back to locked or of you have a spare key you don't care the retainer pins are removed on.

Richard

Sir, that pick is extraordinary! I have been making picks for this lock too and it looks like you're using the self impressioning technique that the normal tubular locks use? Did you never find any trouble with them having different strength springs and thus pushing some pins up harder than other?

Also, did you ever come across vanlocks with different pin spacings?

Nice pick!
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:19 am

Thank you huxleypig

The pick can be used both ways either SPP or self impressioning. I have never see any different spacing on these locks or have had different strength springs be a problem. I have seen semi spooled and semi serrated top and bottom pins but looked as they were done by someone other than the factory. It is rare you find anything other than factory pins in these and are very easy to pick IMO. These locks have been around a long time. I remember my dad bringing them home from a vending company he worked at so I seen them from a very young age so was easy for me to over come. Seen them on all kinds of coin operated devices like old slot machines, bumper pool tables, etc. Still a very cool lock to get to play around with as the lock and key both are rekeyable so you don't need to get a different key to recombinant them. :smile:

Richard
Last edited by MrWizard on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:21 am

Richard..... THAT is awesome!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:25 am

Oldfast wrote:Richard..... THAT is awesome!

Thank you!
I have been asked by some people that have seen it lately "is this Steampunk?" :mrgreen:

Richard
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:10 am

Form, function and beauty. That Van Lock pick has it all, Richard. kudos!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:15 am

Are those dimple lock pins in the boxes with the tool? If so, are they used for decoding purposes?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:21 am

Gordon

Thanks for the 2 thumbs up! :mrgreen:

The pins in the box on the right are the key pins.
Box on the left are pick parts and lock pins.

Richard
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:14 pm

MrWizard wrote:Thank you huxleypig

The pick can be used both ways either SPP or self impressioning. I have never see any different spacing on these locks or have had different strength springs be a problem. I have seen semi spooled and semi serrated top and bottom pins but looked as they were done by someone other than the factory. It is rare you find anything other than factory pins in these and are very easy to pick IMO. These locks have been around a long time. I remember my dad bringing them home from a vending company he worked at so I seen them from a very young age so was easy for me to over come. Seen them on all kinds of coin operated devices like old slot machines, bumper pool tables, etc. Still a very cool lock to get to play around with as the lock and key both are rekeyable so you don't need to get a different key to recombinant them. :smile:

Richard

I have one that has springs of differing strength and I tried self impressioning using a normal tubular pick with an empty key on the end (the tynes are in the right place). The differing spring strength definitely disagreed with the pick. However, I have a vanamtic lock that seems to have the same springs in. I believe that the vanamtic is the one with the pins spaced a little wider.

This has inspired me to make a self impressioning tool for the vanamatic though because it has lots of shear lines and seemingly similar springs. I'll be able to test out the spring thing a little more soon too.
<<

ImSchatten360

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 pm

I wish I had the skills to create such a nice piece of art!
But I dont.
Luckily once picked you can use tubular picks as make up keys :

http://www.youtube.com/ImSchatten360 Wanted: Bilock, For Sale: ASSA RUKO 3
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:10 pm

ImSchatten360 wrote:I wish I had the skills to create such a nice piece of art!
But I dont.
Luckily once picked you can use tubular picks as make up keys :

Really nicely done. Many thanks for posting this. I see he's using a 7 pin Klom. Never thought one could be used on a Van. Very nice to see.

MrAnybody's Locks

Next

Return to Hi-Security Locks