FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

I picked a parking meter slider lock for the first time!

<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:11 pm

I picked a parking meter slider lock for the first time!

I've had this old parking meter for around 20 years, when I originally bought it, the vault was locked open, and the top was still locked. I kept it that way for awhile, until I wanted to see if a local locksmith could open it. The locksmith I took it to said they couldn't pick it or make keys, but gave me the option of drilling the top lock, which I didn't want. On closer inspection, he saw the top lock was accessible from the coin vault, and used a long screwdriver and a mallet to remove the retaining nut, thus opening the top.
Meter overall: Image
Fast forward a year, and I wanted working keys and locks. Thankfully, an online seller was selling replacement locks and custom made keys!
Here's the cool key:Image

Unfortunately, this seller is no longer selling these, but, there is a person on ebay who is selling new ones.

Fast forward to yesterday, I'm bored, watching videos of someone restoring one of these meters, and he picks it with a cheap pick set. I get to thinking, I've got a nice new Sparrows set, can I make this happen for fun?

WOW! I did it!

My technique involved using a standard tension wrench, and a shallow hook to move the sliders around until they bound up, I also used a thin tension wrench to "jiggle" everything from the top and bottom of the keyway. Once I had it tensioned in the right direction, it opened in 30 seconds or so!

Here's the lock core removed: https://i.imgur.com/sxYhLx3.jpg I know it's a crappy pic, but it's a standard Bell style slider lock with 6 slider pins and no sidebars.

Duncan still makes parking meters, but they no longer use this system of lock, their new meters have disc detainer and Medeco locks, so I see no harm in posting this now. (Plus LPL and others have videos of this style being picked online)
<<

edocdab

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:20 pm

Re: I picked a parking meter slider lock for the first time!

Very nice :)
My youtube channel: https://youtube.com/c/edocdab
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:02 pm

well done!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:38 pm

Holy crap! Congrats dude!

From the picture of the core it looks like yours is the version with sprung sliders.

There is also a version for the VIP meters (large round door) that doesn't use springs. I have tried picking it unsuccessfully, but this might be some inspiration to give it a try again.

:) thanks for sharing. I know its a great feeling getting something working again
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

PhoneMan

Post Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:19 pm

Mac, this one does in fact have springs in it! I've actually had keys for this one for quite awhile, I just wanted to see if I could pick it.

Return to Hi-Security Locks